RC10 restore...what comes around goes around.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bomberrob

RC10 restore...what comes around goes around.

Post by Bomberrob »

I have been in and out of RC for 30 years now. Kind of the Classic RC story. My first cars were the Frog, the Hornet, and then the beloved RC10. I got the RC10 for my 13th birthday Jan 1985. The old man had it on order from the local Hobby Shop. I thought my time had come when my b-day arrived but, ended up w8-ing another 2 weeks due to the high demand at the time. I got a birthday card with a picture from a magazine. When I finally got it…I painted it florescent orange and used every sticker in the box. It was bone stock and only lightly bashed for a few weeks when my attention switched to BMX, ATV’s, motor-cross, and mountain biking. Regardless, the memory that stuck out the most in my head was the bottom of the gold chassis peering off the shelf in my basement garage with the AE logo…that went on for 6 years. Every now and then I took it down with thoughts of running it with one of my two yellow shrink-wrapped batteries. However, my charger broke and everything else was more important then buying a new charger. It was the day before leaving for school and my friend Brian who was helping me pack the trailer for my departure to Durango, Co from Barrington, Ill expressed interest in it. I had so much crap and my parents were thinking about moving…I thought the last thing I wanted to do was drag this thing to college…so I gave it to him. Whoops☺ 12 years latter I was crazed with RC again. Had a nice role for a few years this time racing 1/8 scale nitro opening up a whole new level of addiction. It all came to a halt again when I got married and had kids this time leaving the shelf with a dialed Kanai, Unlimited Engineering SuperMaxx T-Maxx and a XXX-NT. 10 years went by and I don’t know how many times I thought about selling them holding off the need for funds. Well, I caught the bug 2 months ago yet again racing Buggy’s and Truggy’s getting all new cars holding on to the old for display. Recently, I was out walking with my daughter while a neighbor was having a garage sale. I gazed over and like a neon light in Vegas saw the tip of the gold chassis hanging of the corner of the table…the sight that had been etched into my memory over 6 years. I walked strait to it barely picked it up and my neighbor said “do you want that thing…please take it…I think it at least has good servos.” I was surprised she even knew what a servo was but, didn’t hesitate even came with a nice Futaba Magium Jr. My daughter also got a free score… a pink stuffed penguin. Here are some photos. I am pretty sure my original car was an early Edinger as I remember a lighter gold chassis and clear gearbox cover. However, today I am grateful to have this and want to do a restore to shelve for my son one day. I’ll post progress as I move along for tips. Originally, I was just looking up to see what it was worth to ebay and ran across this site now I can’ t w8 to hold onto it thru the edge of time.

So far I know I need a upper shock spring retainer, front bearings, front wheel (missing one), wheel nuts, wing and wire, and a battery strap. Will be taking it apart soon and should move along slowly. Might as well get a body as I love the Hustings scheme (any painters out there?). Cheers☺
rc101.jpg
rc102.jpg
rc103.jpg
rc104.jpg
rc105.jpg
rc106.jpg
rc107.jpg
rc108.jpg

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Re: RC10 restore...what comes around goes around.

Post by Jay Dub »

Welcome! The car is in good shape, and should clean up nicely. -Jeff

farmer
Approved Member

Post by farmer »

welcome,its funny how just one lil thing can make us feel like a kid again,i like that feeling everyday
welcome to the board race that girl
my spelling not so good! but i can DRIVE the wheels off anything!

Goatless
Approved Member

Post by Goatless »

Welcome to the board! Nice story, I still have a UE Tmaxx, lol. Those parts you need are super easy to find and inexpensive. Many of us here will be glad to help you. Feel free to ask questions under the appropriate thread. There is a wealth of knowledge here. 8)
"I'm like the fat girl at the prom, just glad to be here!!!

Southern Fried Racing : The Sequel

orangemazda
Approved Member

Post by orangemazda »

Thats awesome! I'm always going past garage sales hopeing to find a good quality RC car that the garage-saler is dying to get rid of. It hasn't happened for me yet! Good find!