New guy with RC10CE

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

markbt73
Approved Member

New guy with RC10CE

Post by markbt73 »

Hello all. I didn't see an "introduce yourself" thread, so I'll just jump right in. I just picked this old beauty up off Craigslist the other night for $25:

The guy had it listed as simply "RC car chassis;" he knew nothing about it. I'd been wanting another RC10 for a while; I had a Team car ages ago, and a B3 for a while, but never a gold pan. So when I saw this listed for that price, I couldn't dial the phone fast enough.

It's grubby, but in good overall shape. It came with a Reedy Mr. N modified motor (19x3, I believe?) and an S148 steering servo, but no other electronics. It will probably get an LRP speedo that isn't doing anything at the moment and share a Tactic 2.4ghz receiver with a couple of my other cars.

I already tore the tranny apart and installed bearings; it spins nice and smooth now. I also had bearings for the front wheels, but not the rear axles. I'll have to order those. The shocks are nearly empty and covered in a slurry of shock oil and dirt, so I think a rebuild kit is in order. And of course, I need a body. So now I'm just waiting for a paycheck to place an order at Tower, and I'll be golden. So to speak.

--Mark.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: New guy with RC10CE

Post by klavy69 »

Welcome to the forum Mark. Got a nice price for your rc10. Makes it easy to dump some more into it without feeling too guilty. There is a ton of info around here and easy to get addicted so make yourself at home 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Thanks for the welcome. Well, the boss tells me there's no money in the budget for a Tower Hobbies order this month, so I decided to see if I could bring this old thing back to life with stuff I already had. So I cleaned up the shocks and refilled them, and so far so good. I figure at worst, they'll make as big a mess as before. As for the rear wheel bearings, I'll just have to live without for now. I cleaned the bushings and lubricated them with a drop of automatic transmission fluid, and they seem pretty smooth.

I also found some alternate wheels and tires in my stash. I have matching front ones, but couldn't find the bearing adapters. So here's how it sits now:

Then I dug into the Island of Misfit Bodies to see if I could find something that would work.

Meh.

Nope.

Yikes!

Hmm... now we're talking.

So this evening, I'll throw some radio gear and a motor in it, and try to sort out some mounts for that old '33 Ford shell. I'll restore it the "right" way later. For now, it's sort of an RC rat rod, made up of whatever parts I can scrounge, and I kinda like it.

reptilejason
Approved Member

Post by reptilejason »

Welcome! That RC10 cleaned up really nice! good find!!!

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

It's alive!

LRP AI Quantum Runner ESC and very old Futaba Magnum Sport radio, and the S148 it came with. I switched back to the rear wheels it came with, because the big Duratrax tires only allowed about 1/4" of suspension travel before they hit the body.

Still debating about repainting it; it came with a very used Frog that I got for parts for a Blackfoot restoration. I could paint it on the outside and it would look OK, I think. But I kind of like it with the chipped paint and old Autographics decals. It has patina.

Took it for its first run just a few minutes ago. Not bad! The old Reedy motor runs nice and smooth, and has plenty of power. It doesn't coast off-power very well, though, but tht may be the worn-out bushings in the axles; the rear wheels shake all over the place if you give it throttle off the ground. Definitely need to get some bearings in there. And I remembered why I hadn't been using that LRP speedo. It has a full second delay for reverse, and no on/off switch. Annoying, but it works, so it will stay for now.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Mowed the back yard today, so I went for a little drive afterwards...

Our pug loves chasing my cars around.

Luckily, she's not big enough to do any damage to them.

Also took my old Blackfoot for a spin...

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

It occurs to me I haven't posted any pictures of my RC10 since I finished it!

A little paint, a little trim tape, and some stickers from the archives, and...

The body is painted on the outside; that's the original red showing through a bit of road rash on the rear.

I also swapped out the rear tires for some Road Hawgs I had in my tire stash. They go much better with the hot-rod motif, I think. The white disc wheels don't really say hot rod, but they scream RC10, so they stay. Also now has bearings on the rear axles. Still no gear cover, but I'll get one eventually.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Welcome to the forum, and a new addiction :lol: . I saw all the bodies you posted, and I really think that the roll cage "Body" shows the most promise. Hack it up and see if you can get it to fit. -Jeff

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Jay Dub wrote:Welcome to the forum, and a new addiction :lol: . I saw all the bodies you posted, and I really think that the roll cage "Body" shows the most promise. Hack it up and see if you can get it to fit. -Jeff
The cage has since been taken apart, and is destined for a Tamiya Falcon. It fits pretty nicely on there. I'll post some pics when it gets a bit more photogenic...