mid motor rc10, with a twist!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Re: mid motor rc10, with a twist!

Post by SRTracer121 »

well back at this car again. got rims. got a spur gear. i finally found a job doing night work so idk if ill be racing for a while but in a twist that means i have more time for projects. i still need to finish my 2nd rc10gt and do yet more work on my Fiero HE project and now i might be getting a small gas boat to build as well. but the gt will get done in due time and the fiero is a can of worms i dont want to crack open any time soon. the boat is a long way off as well.

so what was i talking about again?

oh yeah.

this biddy. so yeah ive got an angle of attack, the parts, the building material, and soon a bit of real $$$ to throw at it when needed.

first thing i want to do is blow it off. it has actually sat on my wall so long it's collected dust!

id like to put in a 17.5 speed passion system but i may use this novak depending on how the rest of the club likes them as they have a whole class based around it and the speed passion equivalent.
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...tem/index.html

the front end is getting a total makeover. going to keep the rockers and the basic geometry but going to make new brackets and mounts. going to use longer push rods too so i can get the most out of the shocks. whats really ingenious about the rocker setup is that those same short shocks mounted upright could never get the same travel that they do layed down with rockers.

not much else that needs work. just the basics to get a car setup and a few odds and ends like battery cups, paint the body, and toss in electronics.

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

well i wasnt sure if it was legal for the class so ive posted it on the club forum for the other racers in the class to weigh in. we'll see where this project goes in the next day or so.

if it gets turned down ill slap a good 27t in it and save it for practice days. i need a easily packed car to bring with me when i ride my bike up on sundays anyway. my SRT has a big freaking side dam and it burns through a pack in about 8 minutes so thats been relegated to street runs and the truggies are too big to carry on my back and burn through their packs just as fast if not faster.

Edit: so already got a fair number of posts on the subject. most seem to be of the consensus that its not in itself unfair but it opens up the door for too much nonsense. the class has explicitly in the rules that you cant have any oval specific chassis and even though this is based on a offroad chassis (the rc10 graphite). also seems they already turned away a guy who bought a custom works car for the class so if they let me in that wouldn't be very fair.

so i guess no 17.5. now an excuse you use a 27t! YEEEHAAAWWWW!

got a few to choose from. which to start with? ive got a few XS Power motors, a pair of Fantoms, all epic/trinity based. a few over the counter epic hand and machine winds, an old twister 27t (yokomo based). a few over the counter reedy motors here and there.

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

hooray! actual progress!

tore down the front end and replaced the rod ends for the pushrods and camber links. nothing but the best for this hot rod so im using Dubro rod ends. you can also see that ive put rc10gt steering blocks on it and done a bit of trimming to a few things. mostly the a-arm. took some material off to give the pushrods more clearance during down travel.

speaking of suspension travel...

should be more than enough for oval :D

now the shock mounts. oh boy, Will surely was creative.

have a small collection of materials i plan to use. some kydex, a little g10, and 2 big ole hunks of what im guessing is delrin. that'll be for later in the week.

also changed the servo horn to a very slightly taller one and put long shank rpm rod ends on the steering linkage.

out back, here is a picture of the slipper and spur rigged up

so now for my favorite part, the motors. here is what ive found that are in good shape. all have comms that have very few cuts and all are pretty much ready to go as they sit. the XS power is by far my best but the epic "x" and fantom tuned are a close 2nd and 3rd. i kinda like the twister though. i got it off a guy a while back and even though its rough around the edges, the comm is still fresh and never cut and the bushings are still tight. it was probably run twice outside the guys house.

so anywho here ya go. a progress picture

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

mmmmm smell that? smells like fresh cut delrin

pictures pretty much speak for themselves but at any rate ill try and fill in the blanks.

this is the front mounting block to bolt the cantilevers to. the original was a 2 piece deal. mine is one. obviously is not symmetrical not by a long shot but i did it with a dremal so on the hole i think its more than freakin suitable. still need to drill out holes for the top brace and of course figure out how to mount the cantilever posts. maybe just run the screws right through to the bottom and use 2 spacers cut at 45°'s and put a nut at the end. thats how Will did it. also dont help that i do not have a 4-40 tap.... i figure once i get the cantilevers mounted tomorrow the rest will fall into place.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

For me personally I like it better before that last Delrin piece, but maybe I'm missing the point(as I often do). Looked killer in the pics before and that TWISTERS motor would look classic mounted up. 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

it'll make more sense once its all mounted up. that part is unsightly with nothing mounted on it huh? i made a lot of progress yesterday but no pictures. we'll see how i feel tonight after work and snap pictures then.

i was thinking the same thing with the twister. just seems right.

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

IT IS DONE

...well its a rolling chassis atleast. i did botch a few things as far as the symmetry and what not but itll do :D my biggest goal was to just make it stronger.

so here it is in all its glory

no clearance issues here

quick walk through/ramble

[youtube]rFhyH8cErAI[/youtube]

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

electronics were stolen from other cars. they may stay where they are.

ive driven the car twice now and this thing is just awesome. by far the best driving car ive EVER owned. the power comes on so smoothly, the car reacts to every input i give.

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

That shock articulation is sick! Cool vid!

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

pictures of painted body

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

what body is that if i may ask...part number,manufacture?
do you think its a bad twilight zone episode for team associated to be re producing a buggy from yesteryear that is capable of beating their latest and greatest production buggy?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I believe that is an old McCallister Outlaw Vette-

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

Charlie don't surf wrote:I believe that is an old McCallister Outlaw Vette-
looked like something they would have made in the day...i know he still pulls alot of the odd bodies so i guess i just gotta call or email them and see or im gonna have to troll ebay and hope i get lucky...i have a few rd10 goldpans im trying to get converted for street stock and late model and that body would be perfect for an old school late model...the front wheel arches are insane looking.
do you think its a bad twilight zone episode for team associated to be re producing a buggy from yesteryear that is capable of beating their latest and greatest production buggy?