Jeff's RC12e project -edit from "AJs & Paragon chromies"

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

j-sou
Approved Member

Jeff's RC12e project -edit from "AJs & Paragon chromies"

Post by j-sou »

I've had some Paragon chrome wheels for a while now, and finally found tires to fit. They are AJ's and Twinn-k tires, all new in pack, but when I put them on the rims, they are a tad too narrow. The sizing is supposed to match the wheel size perfectly. Have they just drawn up over time due to age, or were they always fit like this? Will they stretch out after being on the rims for a bit? they all still fell really soft, and not deteriorated a bit. Just wondering if they fit like this originally and needed time to settle and stretch out, or if they are shrunk up from sitting for so many years.

Any vintage 12th scale savvy guys have any insight?
Are there any other options for getting some good foams on vintage wheels of that size?
and for the record, the 12e is really clean! ...but the tires are hard and brittle. I think the 12e probably pre-dates the paragon wheels, but I would like to put them on there for the time being.
Thanks in advance for any input.

and pics, because pics are always more interesting than words...
Image%
D*** I love the smell of vintage foam tires. Must be left over from the few years I got into vintage slot car stuff!

happy to have this 12e for my collection! It's soooo nice and will have a happy home here.
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

Qballll
Approved Member

Re: Vintage tires for a 12e -AJs & Paragon chromies

Post by Qballll »

Check your messages, I have a set of new Paragon rear that would fit those rims.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Tamiya F1 Foams PM sent

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Any chance we can see more pictures of the car? It looks fantastic from what little I can see. I really love these little RC12's. Nice wheels too!

Cheers.
Don

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

PlastiZapCA+ wrote:Any chance we can see more pictures of the car? It looks fantastic from what little I can see. I really love these little RC12's. Nice wheels too!
Here's a few more pics I snapped-

It's pretty nice! Shown just as I got it. There's a few minor things that need to be addressed, but over all it's in really good shape. I'll clean it up a bit but leave it as is for the most part.
The fiberglass connector between the rear body mounts has an end snapped off, I'll have to find one of those...
The body is in really nice shape except for the darn rear body mount holes. :( they are ripped up a bit. It's a shame too, that body would clean up so easy. I'm looking for a different body for it anyways.

*edit- changed the title to make it more general for this car and will continue to post updates to it here as time allows me to work on it :)

rraeford
Approved Member

Re: Jeff's RC12e project -edit from "AJs & Paragon chromies

Post by rraeford »

It's hard to make out from your photos (nice as they are) how much of the fiberglass spacer is snapped off ... but that piece is supposed to be shorter on one end. I think this was done to clear the spur gear. I have 3 of these as well as my original and they all have the same part with one side trimmed off. Beautiful car and that Ferrari Boxer body!

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

Hmm... It does actually look like it was intentionally snapped off to clear the spur gear. Maybe it was replaced at some point with the wrong part and "modified" to fit?
I have to fix that! That's going to drive me nuts every time I see it now.

*Edit- actually, despite being in the instructions, it isn't even on the car pictured on the box. I do have the part number now though so maybe I can find one.
And the car on the box has a cooler, more primitive looking servo saver! I gotta find one of those too!

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

That is a sweet RC12E you have. 8) 8) 8) You have the box too! :shock: That spacer is supposed to be cut off on the spur gear side. Yours has been broken though. That should be an easy part to make . I would make some covers out of lexan to hide the holes around the rear body mounts. It's rare to find an original body for that car in good shape and I even like the color. Did you find some tires for it yet?

Cheers,
Don

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Very nice indeed, I bought an early new built one years ago and love it: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8271&start=0

Note the different box as well as the shims below the G10 bar to clear the rear spur gear.