RC12E clone runner project. ***Finished***

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

RC12E clone runner project. ***Finished***

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

I've found a carpet track near me for 1/12 race cars so it's time to build a runner. Thanks to Gomachav I now have one of his beautiful new RC12E chassis for this project. This will be a mix of old and new. I'll be using modern servos and a 2.4ghz reciever but with a resistor speed control and vintage Associated and Parma parts. I found a parts car on e-Bay so I now have all the required parts for the chassis. I'm now gathering up the electronics and hardware. All chassis parts will be dyed black and there will be lots of polished aluminum on this one.

Here's the chassis mocked up.

I'll be mounting the receiver under the radio deck so that sweet radio tray won't be hidden from view. I'm using a NOS Parma (Losi?) resistor and wiper arm.

The body is the Parma Osella Pa9 from Stormers. I've got one for display and one for running.

You have to see the parts car. :mrgreen: This is one the most beat down cars I've ever seen. The chassis is nearly worn through from scrapping on the concrete. I'm lucky I got any good parts from it.

Any part of the chassis that hasn't been bashed or gouged has a hole drilled through it! Not to mention pieces of plastic super glued on.

This sums it all up. :shock: I was able to remove those rear rims and save them for another project. Miracles do happen!

GoMachV

Re: RC12E clone runner project.

Post by GoMachV »

Haha I saw that parts car on the bay and the closer I looked the more scared I got! Still good for the few things you needed. Bury the rest real deep in the back yard! Lol

That parma resistor looks just like the Losi one from their entry level sport kits bitd. Hmmmm

Can't wait to see how it progresses 8)

BTW isn't that osella the one from stormer? If so they aren't really a repop even-they are pulled from the original parma mold by parma themselves if I read right
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

gomachv wrote:Haha I saw that parts car on the bay and the closer I looked the more scared I got! Still good for the few things you needed. Bury the rest real deep in the back yard! Lol

That parma resistor looks just like the Losi one from their entry level sport kits bitd. Hmmmm

Can't wait to see how it progresses 8)

BTW isn't that osella the one from stormer? If so they aren't really a repop even-they are pulled from the original parma mold by parma themselves if I read right

You did well to stay away from that parts car auction! Leave it to a sucker like me to come along. :lol: I indeed got what I needed in the end and also learned a valuable lesson about the buy it now button. :mrgreen:

The resistor might be a Losi as I can't find the original package anymore. The wiper arms I received are definatley Parma. And right again on the body it's being Procuced by Parma for Stormers so it's not really a repop but a reissue instead.

I just added wheel bearings to my list and might do a graphite axle if I can find the correct size rod for it. I'll be running sans diff. :P Personally I like the way the 12e drives without a diff as it really feels like your driving a vintage race car.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24642

I have seen orange green and gray but never blue-ezcept Losi. Not that it is any different, I like it :mrgreen: it would be cool to take an ohm reading just for documentary sake. I wanna say the greenies are 1ohm

I know a lot of people here speak highly of avid, I don't have any experience with them but have used Boca for 20 years and on ebay the kit runs about $6 shipped fast. Use a bolink or 10L kit they are all the same 1/4x3/8 flanged x2 and 1/8x5/16 flanged x4

Where are you getting donuts? I need a set of FR and RR for some rims kicking around
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

I've seen a slimline blue resistor made for 12e/I but not this large one. Cool!

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

gomachv wrote:http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24642

I have seen orange green and gray but never blue-ezcept Losi. Not that it is any different, I like it :mrgreen: it would be cool to take an ohm reading just for documentary sake. I wanna say the greenies are 1ohm

I know a lot of people here speak highly of avid, I don't have any experience with them but have used Boca for 20 years and on ebay the kit runs about $6 shipped fast. Use a bolink or 10L kit they are all the same 1/4x3/8 flanged x2 and 1/8x5/16 flanged x4

Where are you getting donuts? I need a set of FR and RR for some rims kicking around
I confirmed the speed control is a Losi. There are fifteen of them out on e-Bay at the moment. If I can find the leads for my tester I'll check the ohms.

Thanks for the bearing size! I picked them up from Tower along with some other goodies. Between this project and my RC10 buggy project I've blown a lot of cash this week. :shock:

All but two of those tires in the photo really fit. Those are Bolink tires and as you can see they will have to be glued together and trued down to fit the rim. My other cars have Prolines and Associated tires and were the last sets I had. Good news though! I just found that Corally USA sells unmounted 1/12 donuts and have ordered two sets to see what they are like. If they fit like I'm sure they will I'll send you a set. I'll let you know.

Here is where I got them. I went with Silverstars on the front as they have high grip with a fair lifespan. For the rears I went with Silver compound. (Not the same as SILVERSTAR) I found my 12E and 12I slid too much on the hard compounds.

Edit: Just search 1/12 tires. I guess they won't let you copy links to search results.
http://www.corallyusa.com/istar.asp?a=29

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

GJW wrote:I've seen a slimline blue resistor made for 12e/I but not this large one. Cool!
I'm glad these are still available as I couldn't find any other resistors like this except the heavy Asscociated buggy ones. Might stock up on a few for future projects. :mrgreen:

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

I'm like a kid in a candy store today! :mrgreen:

HS-225MG Still waiting on delivery.

I've got all aluminum screws for this car. These are unfinished to save $$$.

After a little polish. These are amazingly light.

My easy solution to dye parts without a mess. I hope so anyway!

I also have custom decals coming in from the UK and some other goodies. The car will also have a diff if the deal I just made goes through.

Soooooooo!

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I've been been active in this hobby for about 25 years but only recently discovered how much fun 1/12th cars can be. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

And since this is the first time I take a closer look at the rc12e I only just discovered how close the design is to my SG prosso expert.
A pitty the parts are not compatible: I'd love to put that car back together. Bought it NIB 20 years and used some parts for a school project: it was only complete for 1 day and ran for 5 minutes :)

When I saw that blue resistor I thought for a moment someone tried a slotcar part as replacement ;)

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Mr. ED wrote:I've been been active in this hobby for about 25 years but only recently discovered how much fun 1/12th cars can be. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

And since this is the first time I take a closer look at the rc12e I only just discovered how close the design is to my SG prosso expert.
A pitty the parts are not compatible: I'd love to put that car back together. Bought it NIB 20 years and used some parts for a school project: it was only complete for 1 day and ran for 5 minutes :)

When I saw that blue resistor I thought for a moment someone tried a slotcar part as replacement ;)

I won't be able to compete with this car since it doesn't meet the rules,but I can have fun with it during the open track sessions. Later I will probably build a nice carpet knife to try my hand at racing. I'm sure it will be fun and I'm looking forward to it.

The early cars were not far off from slot cars.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

RC12 from hell! :twisted:

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I love it!!!!!
Factory Works website

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

wow, I'd cal that 'back from hell with a vengeance'. You really made it shine better than new.
How does it not conform with regulations?
(I was lucky: I showed up with my old plazma and they let me compete along with the Mardaves as the design is equally outdated and they allow schumacher supastox also anyway)
By the way my mention of slot cars was in reference to the wound resistors which were used in the handgrip controllers. I should still have one hidden in a rusty box.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I would be willing to bet that parma makes 100% of them, be it slot car or RC
Factory Works website