Old is new build: DONE (now racing) Resto; (in progress)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

socal jared
Approved Member

Re: Old is new build: DONE (now racing) Resto; (in progress

Post by socal jared »

JK Racing wrote:nice hardware :)

Brown/Green, shoot me piston/oil info, my long arm car is struggling for steering, where the Goldie is perfect.
Running #2 piston. 2 limiters and 30wt all around jk. I will be addressing the technical stuff more in your race thread, thanks again for starting that.

socal jared
Approved Member

Post by socal jared »

slotcarrod wrote:Very cool 8) Old school rules! Good driver too of course! :mrgreen:
hehehe and a little luck never hurts! Thanks for posting!

soniccj5 wrote:
slotcarrod wrote:Very cool 8) Old school rules! Good driver too of course! :mrgreen:

Agreed!!

I feel better knowing that I drive just as bad with a B4 as I do with a Old Is New Rc-10 . Once I am finished with my rebuild I plan to start hitting the track again and getting some good practice in before the JConcepts race in October.
I'm not gonna lie, my modern b4.1 worlds car is MUCH MUCH easier for me to drive. I am working on the rc10 every week though and its progressively gotten faster and faster. The issue is two fold, the b4 is much easier to control in the air and has more steering, while the rc10 still wants to over rotate in the rear and bounce a bit.

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

i just love how when some hot shoe with a b4.1 trys to do a bump and run and has a weird look on their face as if they just hit a wall :lol: i just held my rtr b4 and rtr goldie....biiiig difference in weight :shock:
do you think its a bad twilight zone episode for team associated to be re producing a buggy from yesteryear that is capable of beating their latest and greatest production buggy?

socal jared
Approved Member

Post by socal jared »

OK, I found some time today to get rolling on the reassembly of my original early CE build.
I had been soaking all the nylon bits in peroxide for the last couple days, cleaned and polished the metal bits and started to rebuild the 6 gear.
Today I started to piece it back together and figured I would take a couple quick pics.
This one should be done soon, considering it was never ran in the first place and will be a shelfer.
All I need now is to find the proper shoes for this girl, hopefully my wanted add nabs me a set.

socal jared
Approved Member

Post by socal jared »

Got the shock bodies cleaned out and degreased, polished the nose tubes and wing tubes and I slapped some other tires on until I get the box correct ones. I am really happy with the way it cleaned up.
I still have to add 2 turnbuckles and cut the body. This one will be shelved permanently for sentimental reasons. Boy I sure am glad I found it in the attic!

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

what size rear shocks do i need to run stock b4 size?
do you think its a bad twilight zone episode for team associated to be re producing a buggy from yesteryear that is capable of beating their latest and greatest production buggy?

socal jared
Approved Member

Post by socal jared »

GoldRush wrote:what size rear shocks do i need to run stock b4 size?
I am currently running the V2 threaded shock bodies for the b4.1, add the Avid springs and you are really in business.

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

ok...i know the 1.02 size is up front and the rear is 1.18...the b4 i have has threaded body v1 rears in 1.18 and i just ordered the threaded body v1 shocks and shafts and will use the soft parts from the non threaded bodies that are on the b4 at the moment...its finy i only picked up this b4 i have to fiddle around with and im already got it blown apart on the table and now i gotta figure out what to do with whats left...if i can only find 1/10 cinder blocks i could leave it on the curb like a stripped car :lol:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Just gotta say what a great thread this is.... i've only just spotted it & read it all through - makes for some entertaining reading.

For me the greatest thrill of building these old cars is when you get the opportunity to race them against modern racers..... & beat them :mrgreen: Its great to hear your exploits with your New/Old build.

Great to hear about your meeting with Gil Losi Jnr - there's a kinda irony in having his signiture on your goldpan :D

socal jared
Approved Member

Post by socal jared »

GoldRush wrote: now i gotta figure out what to do with whats left...if i can only find 1/10 cinder blocks i could leave it on the curb like a stripped car :lol:
LOL, that would be an awesome picture :)

socal jared
Approved Member

Post by socal jared »

DerbyDan wrote:Just gotta say what a great thread this is.... i've only just spotted it & read it all through - makes for some entertaining reading.

For me the greatest thrill of building these old cars is when you get the opportunity to race them against modern racers..... & beat them :mrgreen: Its great to hear your exploits with your New/Old build.

Great to hear about your meeting with Gil Losi Jnr - there's a kinda irony in having his signiture on your goldpan :D
Thanks for taking the time to read and post your comments!
Yes, building this OIN car has been a real thrill, and racing it against the modern stuff is the icing on the cake. Its highly addictive though so be careful :)
And there is far less irony in that signature than you think, as Gil Jr was one of the main designers/testers of this car. As he told me that day, the rc10 was the very first car he helped develop in the industry, and in fact he was a factory driver for associated at the time, and then went on to start LOSI as we know it. Heres Gil Jr second from left with his rc10 back in the day!

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Agreed, this is a great thread and sorry I'm late to the party to read through it and take it all in.

I see you got one of those nice stands on fleabay, I have 4 of them after I posted this thread, they are quite nice.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=25316&hilit=stand

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

socal jared wrote:Thanks for taking the time to read and post your comments!
Yes, building this OIN car has been a real thrill, and racing it against the modern stuff is the icing on the cake. Its highly addictive though so be careful :)
And there is far less irony in that signature than you think, as Gil Jr was one of the main designers/testers of this car. As he told me that day, the rc10 was the very first car he helped develop in the industry, and in fact he was a factory driver for associated at the time, and then went on to start LOSI as we know it. Heres Gil Jr second from left with his rc10 back in the day!
Yes, I realise the early connection with Gil Losi Jr & Team Associated in the early years along with the Ranch Pit Stop... that photo appears in the summer 1984 newsletter thats came inside the RC10 kit box (was there ever any other newsletters issued??) But the Rivalry between Losi & Associated since the release of the JRX2 is akin to the rivalry between fans of GM or Ford cars - of course this rivalry is more between the racers that make an allegence to either brand where as I'm sure there is no personal rivalry between the two founders of these great R/C manufacturers :wink: