MIP LEGENDS RUNNER RESTO.**RACING - 13 JULY ** ADDED VIDEO!!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

MIP LEGENDS RUNNER RESTO.**RACING - 13 JULY ** ADDED VIDEO!!

Post by RETRO R/C »

Well, I finally got around to starting on my pre loved and raced Legends runner in Jan 2008. Took me forever to get it done!( You know - family etc etc) I Could not stop though once I started..these things are oh so pretty!

Anyways, Love the way these things handle - so I am going to build it up anyway to run in the next meeting - maybe even race it against the moderns......

I took pics before the teardown and now she is completely stripped and awaiting cleaning etc etc......then I will get onto my new built Legend.

Heres the story in pics so far:

Hopefully the pics will be useful reference wise for some of you. If you need any others - please LMK.

Now the resto begins!!

Cheers

Darryn Johnson
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Re: MIP LEGENDS RUNNER RESTO.

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Aiyeee, she is a pretty one alright mate. Nice car indeed....can't wait to see the pics of this going together!

P.S. BTW can you trace me the A&L supports too please? 8) :lol: :D

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

LOLOL

No worries - probably better of scanning them actually - 1:1 should make a perfect copy for you.....

Never know what Santa might put in the package for you mate!! :wink:

Cheers

Darryn Johnson
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

RETRO R/C wrote:LOLOL

No worries - probably better of scanning them actually - 1:1 should make a perfect copy for you.....

Never know what Santa might put in the package for you mate!! :wink:

Cheers

Darryn Johnson
Wow thats awesome!

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Thanks for the photos. that is the first I have seen one of the legends front gear box opened up. I am surprised that it has a onway front diff instead of a ball diff that my one generation older 4wd kit has.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Interesting Jim,

The legend conversions I had (5 in total NIB) were the last version - with the slipper pads on the rear pulley.

I spoke with the importer of the day and they stated that the ball diff for the front was an option and that the kit came with the one ways (as I thought like you did - that it came with a ball diff)....and that the front diff was not often used....perhaps your conversions were added to by the shop or the distributor there?

Either way - after I finish this one - looking forward to building up a new built with my last conversion (had to keep one for myself!).

Did you ever sell that rear gearbox?

Not going to bother with the conversions of the SRB's - have the New built cable and belt drives ready to build - just nedd some pulleys and front end bits - and I will have the threesome........hell of a chore getting the chain drive version though - it seems to be the hardest to get the plastic spindles and hubs for.

Cheers

Darryn

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I have had three of the RC10 kits and all were pieced together like this one I have left http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=23780&id=34

I'll have to look at the instruction but I don't recall them ever stating that there was a one way and a ball diff for the front gearbox.

I never did sell that first generation gearbox. I might just hold onto it for a future build.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

No - not both included.

From what I understand all the kits came with a one way. The ball diff was an option.

Yeah - I hear ya on the gearbox.........to damned expensive and rare to give away!

Cheers mate

Darryn

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I can't wait to see what this looks like cleaned up. Are those belt shavings all over the place? :shock:

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

LOL - actually they are the remnants of a "Foam Protector" the was on the car and that had degraded.......belt isd in perfect nick!

Cheers

Darryn

jasen
Approved Member

Post by jasen »

hey darryn could you send me a copy of the scanned A&L supports to so i can have a go at making some they look like the perfect job for the mill i have siting here doing nothing .

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Jim - that set you have seems to be a mixture of the chain conversion front parts and the original belt conversion....early stuff to be sure. 8)

Jasen - no probs - when I get my scanner working mate!

Cheers

Darryn

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

what's with the pre 90 rules you guy are talking about with the vintage races your attending? who dictated that? maybe i'm just looking at it from an rc10 adspect, but it seems more like a pre stealth rule. would i be right with my assumption? just wondering. :wink:

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

The rules are pretty much to exclude any of the composite chassis cars running to be honest I think.

The stealth is not out - as it is still pre 90 - on the CE. If you look at car development - things really took off when the composite cars started coming out like the pro SE and the B2......all early 90's - and 4wd was even more complicated and quicker.

I think the idea is to keep the cars to the "Golden Era" - where everyone was trying lots of different things - but there were still several manufacturers in the hunt. Things got awfully serious and comercially driven to the extreme in the 90's - hence the dying off of off road racing....we are trying to keep the class fun and uncomplicated while it grows - then we can incorporate more appropriate and tighter rules when more people are actually running vintage.

I have started to write up a definitive list of "legal cars" and period hop ups that will be elligible for the vintage "Pre 90" class. It is exhaustive work - however I think will give some direction at least.

Cheers

Darryn

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Well,

I have finally started this beast for running again, I have gone through the car and made it super smooth by stripping all the bearings, in fact - everything that would come apart was cleaned and lubed if required. As it is going to be a runner - I did not spend a tonne of time making the white parts white again - however they came up pretty good. Still not finished yet - however it is getting very close - looks pretty good so far I think.

I will be using this car in the upcoming vintage meeting at Ryde (suburb of Sydney) in NSW this July - should have a body painted by then!

Will detail it all out later - I am going to be writing a review on the Legends conversion in the near future for R/C Car mag.

I seem to have caught the restoration/runner bug again BIG TIME - as I have just stripped an AYK boost with many mods to run at this meeting as well - and it is highly modified to!

Enjoy the pics

Cheers

Darryn