Mardave 12th scale Stock car

The place for all things Mardave.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dj_kilroy
Approved Member

Mardave 12th scale Stock car

Post by dj_kilroy »

Hi Everyone,

I just received a really beat up ugly Mardave 12th scale stock car and want to know if anyone knows anything about them.

It looks like it will be really easy to clean up and restore and I'm planning to get it to run again. The only problems I can see with it is that the spur gear is completely screwed and it will need new tires.

The car is the most basic car I've ever seen and it doesn't have any bearings, bushes or even a diff.

I'll post a pic of the car in its current state over the weekend.

Cheers

David

fakiee
Approved Member

Re: Mardave 12th scale Stock car

Post by fakiee »

I have a couple, they are great fun and easy to mod. Very easy to get spares, but some how the money does start to add up!

If you plan on bashing them then i would recommend looking out for rubber tires, foams will last about 2 runs on concrete.

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Got any pics? Could be as early as the 70's, or could be modern. Mardave still make them :)

dj_kilroy
Approved Member

Post by dj_kilroy »

Here's a pic of the car before I start the rebuild.

It would be great someone could tell me where to get some new parts for it.

All it really needs is some tires and a spur gear.

Sorry about the bad pic, I have taken better ones but I'm at work and have this one in my phone. :mrgreen:

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Nice :) That's one of the older ones. If you need tyres for it and don't mind foams then there's still loads of choice. The foams for the current Mardave V12's will fit just fine.

Paul.

dj_kilroy
Approved Member

Post by dj_kilroy »

Hi Paul,

Do you know if the v12 wheels will fit, this car doesn't have bearings and the front wheels just ride on the axles.

I'm also wondering if its possible to change the rear axle to a more modern setup with a diff, only due to the spur being worn out and probably irreplaceable.

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

The V12 front wheels might fit, but the rears probably won't. It's possible a modern V12 rear axle will slot right in, and they do a diff version too, then you could also use V12 rear wheels and spurs.

I can't remember what the spur on the older mardave stockcars was, do you have a pic of the spur, there should be something that will fit.

Paul.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

dj_kilroy wrote:Do you know if the v12 wheels will fit, this car doesn't have bearings and the front wheels just ride on the axles.
V12 wheels won't fit, they are made for metric axles while yours are imperial. You can modify any 1/12th pan car wheel to fit if necessary.
I'm also wondering if its possible to change the rear axle to a more modern setup with a diff, only due to the spur being worn out and probably irreplaceable.
You won't get a diff in there due to the trailing arms the rear axle runs in.

You can replace the spur by either cutting the wheel off a ministock geared wheel to keep it pretty original, it's what we did to keep them running after the stock car was discontinued. Alternatively you can update it by cutting the wheel drive section off a Z-drive hub and use it to mount a modern Mardave spur gear.

If you want to try and source parts the best place to start would be to ask the 1/12th oval racers at Carpet Oval

Table tennis rubber on the tyres was a popular way to get the cars to grip on the polished wood floors we used to race on, not used much these days now we all race on carpet.

dj_kilroy
Approved Member

Post by dj_kilroy »

Thanks for all the info. It looks like I'll have a bit of work ahead of me, which will be fun.

I'll start posting pics of the rebuild.

Cheers

David