fill me in on the current cars

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

proffesso
Approved Member

fill me in on the current cars

Post by proffesso »

so, I haven't raced in a good 20 years or so, my most upto-date buggy is a 10T thats in pieces, with some 1700SCR packs.

I wanna go racing again :)

so, I need to get the lot...cars, motors, batteries, radios etc...the lot. recommendations for everything! (including useful upgrades/options)

whats everyone recommend car wise? 22/ RB6 / 4.1 / Dex ?the 22 and RB6 look the buisness, the RB6 im leaning towards because I can get parts cheap (from japan)

stock class is plenty for now, or whatever the current equivalent is

so whats everyone recommend?
I'm a retro radio control hipster - I only like the stuff no one bought!

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: fill me in on the current cars

Post by Lonestar »

How about rctech rather than r/c tech? ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

proffesso
Approved Member

Post by proffesso »

oh psh, you guys are the only RC folk i know...

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Depends on what your experience level is really. I've driven the RB6, 22, 4.2/1 but not the 'Rango. My preference was the 22, RB6, and the 4.2/1 but I here the Durango grip level is high.

The 22 is constructed very well, parts are very tough (except the steering knuckles have a weak spot at the mold release and the steering rack wears fast) and stays very consistent. It also takes a good feel to set up well, and is edgy most if the time- but fast.

The RB6 is very similar, both can be run mid motor and the 12mm velvets are as good as shocks can ever get (avoid the $25 per pair springs though) the RB6 has more setup options that will never get used.

The 4.2 is good, the easiest to drive of all 3. Consistent, fragile (more than the others, but only in comparison) needs more rebuilding and maintenance as the AE plastic develops super slop after 2 runs. Basically AE has built the Losi XX, very good everyone car, that wins at club levels everywhere by sheer numbers alone.

This is my experience, don't know if it helps!

proffesso
Approved Member

Post by proffesso »

yeah, think its a toss-up between the 22 and RB6

experience wise, last thing I raced was a 6036 team car...so i'll be starting from scratch again pretty much...the B4 might make a bit more sense there? :/

I just cant get interested in the B4, it might be decent, but its so long in the tooth now. B5 might be on the list if AE ever decided to do something a bit more radical

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

I hear the Schumacher Cougar2 is great for your local track.....

:lol: :shock: :wink:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

mamadoesntletme
Approved Member

Post by mamadoesntletme »

I have heard too the 22 is a tough car.
Living in Japan have a look a the Yokomos, second hand are cheap in yahoo auctions and you can´t go wrong with Yokomo, you can buy parts in Japan and in amainhobbies.
Durango is a good one too.
(This all is my opinion Ok)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

The B4 platform is the easiest overall...but the B5 or B4.3 should be out in months...
Didn't consider the B-Max 2 since we don't get them :| wish we did.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

local guy here had a bmax 2, just went back to a b4.2.

i'm still trying to find these "fragile" b4's. (besides the kit ball cups) :?: :?

my b4 has been an absolute tank.

the fast guys 'round here run rb6's and b4's. 22's not so much at all. dex210's even less. and my lone atomik. :lol: (which has been doing better then the 22's and 210's, keeping up with the b4's and rb6's)

covell2
Approved Member

Post by covell2 »

I would have to say that the b4 platform with the +8mm chassis is the way to go. I tried the rb5 years ago and was not happy, went back to the b4.1. Picked up almost half a lap right off the bat, decided when the 22 came out that I had to have one, struggled with that car for almost a year and a half, the car was a tank but was super inconsistent one run would feel super dialed but the next it would be garbage. I think the problem lies in the rack design of the car, it needs bell cranks like exotech makes now, imho. Ended up buying my old b4.1 back, with a +8mm chassis on it, did all the updates, solid rack, hexes, big bore springs on the v2 shocks, the car is perfect, super dialed! Witch brings me to the rb6, awesome car, to expensive for my blood but most of the fast guys at my track are now running this chassis. The car reminds me of the 22 but with a rack, super durable and unreal shocks. I have driven peoples rb6 and the car felt real good, kinda would like to try one but the price is holding me back. The guy who won the big race at our track last year with the rb6, just sold it to get a b4.2, he's trying to get a ride with AE.

Cliffs get a b4.2 unless you have the scratch then get the rb6

proffesso
Approved Member

Post by proffesso »

hmmm, well sounds like the 22 will be too finiky for a crap driver like me to handle! RB6 and B4.2 are around the same price for me...guess its a tossup there

what about radios / electrics? I have a spare 2PL 2.4ghz system i bought but never used, is it upto scratch?

covell2
Approved Member

Post by covell2 »

The radio should be fine, just get a quality sensor based speed control and motor, Novak , tekin , Orion or the like

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Just to note, the 2PL has very basic EPA and ATL settings. I lent out a speedo after a guy fried his (not his fault) and had to reset his radio to my Flow programmed SXX V2, took some laps and it was way different than my 3PK Super. My radio made the car 60% more drivable, no joke.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Despite being bagged in the racer world I've always had good results with Spektrum. If you run a cheap high power servo it can cause brown outs. I'm currently running a healthy .06 180oz/in JR servo and dont have any issues.

Hobbywing is pretty good for the price, I cant wait to try the new 3.3 software on my V3.1. HW mod motors seem to be a good match.

I was a bit over the 4's and 4.1's but the .2's seem like a bigger step. I doubt you can improve much on the B4 suspension geometry. For low grip B4.2 is great but when the grip level is high mid mounts are the way to go in my opinion.

B4.2 low - med grip and/or bumpy

Bmax 2 MR for high grip
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

kaiser wrote:local guy here had a bmax 2, just went back to a b4.2.

i'm still trying to find these "fragile" b4's. (besides the kit ball cups) :?: :?

my b4 has been an absolute tank.

the fast guys 'round here run rb6's and b4's. 22's not so much at all. dex210's even less. and my lone atomik. :lol: (which has been doing better then the 22's and 210's, keeping up with the b4's and rb6's)
This older post is how I reference the b4 fragility-

peetbee Approved

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:07 am Posts: 184 Location: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk

Re: do you think the b4 is fragile? Is the b4 fragile? No Are the other cars mentioned stronger? Yes Having said that, I don't think it's by much