Race Stories

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

integra22t
Approved Member

Race Stories

Post by integra22t »

ive been thinking alot of when i use to race back in the 90's and thought we could share some race stories

one race that stands out to me was a off road race 3 friends and myself traviled over an 1hr to get to the track .. we heard it was well kept and it was a nice mid size track

we got there and entered 2wd stock buggy and 2wd stock truck .. the locals didnt take too well to a bunch of strangers showing up .. at the end of the 3rd qalifier we where all in the a-main

we finished 1,2,3,5th and broke the track record

the all yelled cheat but we all where within the rules

it was a good day at the track when you can show up to a track youve never seen before and break the track record pack up and head home :)

we never did go back

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Re: Race Stories

Post by littleVETTE »

sounds familiar to nearly every track i've been too. there's always a guy or group of people that show up and tear up the podium and track records. only to hear the moans and groans of the locals. there's always a bigger fish out there.

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

I raced in the B main at our local track yrs ago when oval racing was big...The B was the off road buggies that was converted into on road / oval cars...The only bad time I ever had was when you would get the new kid and I mean new kid that would show up with daddy and he would always be in our main...Me and another older gent was the two fastest in our main and when we lined up they put the slower cars up front and the fastest at the back...I would look over at him and tell him to lay back because we knew going into turn 1 there would be a pile up and there always was...If we were lucky the newbie would hit the wall hard enough to break something and we could continue without incident lol...Other then that it was a blast...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

Hmm, one of my fondest race memories was of the Ranch Red 100, '95 I think. I was running 2wd expert stock. Ended up qualifying 3rd in the A but my motor let go in the main. Marcus (the announcer at the time) was making fun of me on the straights as cars would leave me in the dust. I was able to finish 5th because it wasnt such a liability on the infield but it took every bit of line adjusting I could possibly muster to keep my speed up. Being a local for a number of years, I knew a lot of people and it was a blast having everyone cheer me on and poke fun at me all at the same time.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

I remember my first time in the 80' racing out of town and it was a 2 days indoor race 200 mils from home. After the qualifications I ended up as car 7 in the stock A-main final. When I realize that I was in A-main I got so nerves I didn’t know what to do. Then my friend tock me out to our camper and gave me two beers and said: You don’t leave the camper before you finish these two beers, I will take care of your car and see to that your battery’s will be charged! :shock:
After 30-40 minutes and 2 beers later I went back to the pits calmed and reedy for my A-final… the result? Well, two beers helped me with my nervousness but didn’t do any good for my driving skills! I ended up in 7th place. :lol:

After that I learned to handle my nervousness and the next big race out of town a few months later was an outdoor race. And that race I won the stock class without any beers, but that’s another story. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

kind of sounds like me when im leading the race and 2nd place is on top of me ... i always choked and cliped a corner :twisted:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

integra22t wrote:kind of sounds like me when im leading the race and 2nd place is on top of me ... i always choked and cliped a corner :twisted:
I've never placed first in an A Main. With literally hundreds of A Mains under my belt. I'm an ok driver, but have the attention span of a Circus Monkey. Usually after 3 minutes or so my mind starts to wander, hard as I try to concentrate. Outside thoughts attack the psyche of my racer's mind...

"Why are puppies so soft."

"Do Penguin's feet ever get cold?"

"What's with that Turn-Marshall's Plumber's crack?"

"Is this a fart or a turd?"
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

About 10 years ago all the top drivers at my club were running RC10L3T pan chassis, quite often with touring car bodies on them because that's what was available locally. One of our racers went off to university and took his car with him and found a club that ran indoors on carpet. He put a 19T motor in it as that's what the clubs main rule was, and turned up at his new local club to race. He waved the car at the race director and said "Can I race this?" They didn't look at it, just asked what motor was in it and when he said a 19 turn they said that's fine. After annihilating the regular club members they finally had a good look at his car. He was told to bring a normal touring car the next time. :lol:

Many times we would go visit other local clubs with our pan cars, where everyone ran touring cars. They would take one look at the strange cars with no suspension and only 2wd and not think much about them until we qualified ahead of everyone.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

One of my favorites was turning up to the local oval track with a gold pan chassis RC10T and my gear in a brown paper bag and winning the truck class.

I turned up to an offroad track in Vegas with an M-troniks ESC the size of a quarter and everyone asked "Whats that thing"?

Many more stories, wouldn't trade them for the world.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

My favorite story was when the local carpet track outlawed my reflex 10. We were all friends and when I showed up with the car (with truck wheels), they were all ok with it. I then traded it to a new guy for his 10T and didn't think anything of it. Shortly after, they decided that it could not run with the other trucks because it wasn't a real truck conversion. They came up with every reason in the book.

This kind of ticked me off (even though it was no longer my truck) because the kid was a really nice guy. The were upset because he was beating the modified trucks using a stock motor and an old sorry battery. I decided to build a new losi-based truck and began gathering parts like RPM jrxt truck arms, front 10 degree bulkhead...etc.

The officials looked over the truck and said it couldn't run because the body was unpainted. I guess there was some ROAR rule that said the car had to be finished / painted. We found a really ugly body and mounted it. On it's first run, it broke the truck record by 2 laps (ovals). Second heat, it broke that record by another 5 laps (7 over the original). They couldn't say anything because I played by their rules and won.

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

RC10th wrote:One of my favorites was turning up to the local oval track with a gold pan chassis RC10T and my gear in a brown paper bag and winning the truck class.

I turned up to an offroad track in Vegas with an M-troniks ESC the size of a quarter and everyone asked "Whats that thing"?

Many more stories, wouldn't trade them for the world.
You got it...I had a blue duratrax carry bag and a small tackle box...Everyone in the A main always had to make like 2 or 3 trips to there cars to get all there gear...They had everything you could buy back then lol...You had to get there before them because they would go up and ask for all the motors and test them on there dynos to see which one was the best...It did get a little annoying lol...But it was still fun..
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL