OH- the Losi XX. Forgotten, the original "modern car".

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kbillan
Approved Member

OH- the Losi XX. Forgotten, the original "modern car".

Post by kbillan »

I have been here a little over a week and I have read a lot of threads. It seems that some people view this car as "not too much different" than the Pro SE and as I tore down my new friend tonight, I remember how fantastic and revolutionary this car really was.
The competition, the RC10, at the time was really primitive compared to this car. I make this claim so boldly because just before I tore this down, I tore my 10T down. lol. Levity aside, this car really is something special not only to me, but also the world. I am pretty sure this is the first car with a CAD based manual. I was shocked to see the 10T manual with black and white pictures in it HAHA. That aside, the plastic design on this car is still fantastic! It is very thin in comparison to my 22, but never the less its well made and I think would run just fine against today's machines. I intend to prove that soon ;-)

My build will be the original, Black box with fire XX. "The fastest car in the worlds" car. Stifezel plastic, hoop rear arms, hydradrive etc. It will be built as close to stock as reasonable, and as of now- the only mod I intend to have is lunsford turnbuckles.

SO- here are some pics of my rat-rods. I pick this pair of cars up off of ebay and when I unboxed them I was displeased. I guess I was expecting something a bit cleaner than this. I was SUPER irked to see non-losi shocks on the front of the CR-ish car. Man- I'm ticked. lol. Anyway- here are a few before shots and then the explode--

MUST loose that white front bulkhead and yellow plastics around the servo.

One of the most important parts here= GRAY bellcranks.

chassis and motorplate are in okay shape

Here is the closer to CR car. Odley enough- I think those are XXX rear end parts? Much wider rear pivot. Hydra drive appears to be in good shape.

There are the rest of my gray servo bits, hidden beneath the cracked upper deck.. damnit.

If anyone has proper front shocks.. uhm... Ill be allowed to enter trading area in a few weeks :-(

the crown jewel of the build- these are original kit tires from an original XX. My partner in crime still has his Original XXT, Box for it and the box for his original XX. He also had these laying around which he donated to my build. He traded his original XX for a Yokomo MR4-TC around 2000. Fool. I kid. I initiated the trade for him. lol. He doesn't know it as of right now, but I am going to that hobby shop Friday. They have a "basement" where all of the old stuff goes and I am betting on that buggy being there. And coming home with me. Among many other XX part that never sold and were stuffed in a box and filed.

Exploded. Now- to clean a little.

WOW- my good friend simplegreen really made this chassis look like new! Brought all of the "webbing" in the stiffzel as if it were nearly new. My depressing purchase is turning around. This might make a lovely car after all..

MORETOCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kjrell
Approved Member

Re: OH- the Losi XX. Forgotten, the original "modern car".

Post by kjrell »

Very nice, keep up the good work!

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Nice! The sort of unbuilds and builds we love... 8)

You can dye the front bulkhead and those servo and steering arms black using RIT dye - check out this thread....

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=33034
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Completely agree with you - I had Schumacher and Kyosho cars before my first XX, the car was just so far ahead in terms of build and handling. For me it really made the hobby more enjoyable, alot less setup work/stress, just throw the car on the track and it'd be close to ideal. Easy to drive...I could go on!

Looking for to this OOB build, will make a nice change from all the graphite/titanium/blue anodised aluminium ones we see on here. Ahem :wink:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

cool pair of projects

what i found out running the xx a couple of years ago is a couple of unexpected breakages...

i would keep the white bulkhead if i were you!

have fun :)

paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

jamin wrote:Completely agree with you - I had Schumacher and Kyosho cars before my first XX, the car was just so far ahead in terms of build and handling. For me it really made the hobby more enjoyable, alot less setup work/stress, just throw the car on the track and it'd be close to ideal. Easy to drive...I could go on!

Looking for to this OOB build, will make a nice change from all the graphite/titanium/blue anodised aluminium ones we see on here. Ahem :wink:
Hey......! :D

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

LosiXXkid wrote:
jamin wrote:Completely agree with you - I had Schumacher and Kyosho cars before my first XX, the car was just so far ahead in terms of build and handling. For me it really made the hobby more enjoyable, alot less setup work/stress, just throw the car on the track and it'd be close to ideal. Easy to drive...I could go on!

Think Ben may have been referencing his owns builds also :wink:

Got to say that the XX really did move the benchmark for 1-10th electric buggy design when it was first released & forced Associated to play catch-up to replace the outdated RC10. What made the XX special is how it was so user-friendly - straight out of the box it has a set-up that would work pretty much anywhere! The Double X is my all-time favourite buggy, it was the car that took me from average club racer to regional A finalist & national racer.

I watch with interest how your build/s develop & how you get on racing the old XX... on tracks where the rear motor format still triumphs over the new generation of mid-motored buggies then the XX i'm sure can still give the modern cars (B4 etc) a damn good run for their money! I raced my XX Kinwald during last year's outdoor season & it went really well - especially when the conditions got slippery when the Mids started to struggle for traction.... it was reliable too, even with a 6.5 brushless! 8)

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Some of these photo's highlight one of my pet hates.........pliers used on tie rod ends........Grrrrr!

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

great build, keep the pics coming, us losi junkies need out fix.

Make sure you have a connecting bar across the front hinge pins and you "should" be ok for the most part with the front hinge pin block.

I always hated the white nylon too!
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DerbyDan wrote:
LosiXXkid wrote:

Think Ben may have been referencing his owns builds also :wink:
Yep, I was - wasn't trying to offend anyone - just look at all my samey builds :D

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

BTW, I'd stick the front bulkhead in some peroxide under a UV lamp to whiten it up - just to keep those AE boys interested :lol:

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

It's OK, no offence taken. :D

Ben, your "samey builds" are probably (IMO) some of the best builds here.... 8)

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

jamin wrote:BTW, I'd stick the front bulkhead in some peroxide under a UV lamp to whiten it up - just to keep those AE boys interested :lol:
I'm so scared to do anything to my XX/XXT bulkheads, dying or whitening. Afraid it will weaken it or make it more brittle or something nefarious. They might as well be made of gold anymore.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

Oh and the shocks you need are waiting in B/S/T for you: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29130
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

kbillan
Approved Member

Post by kbillan »

knixdad wrote:Oh and the shocks you need are waiting in B/S/T for you: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29130
Yah.. Rub it in.. Lmao.. Aren't there exceptions to this wait period? I mean, I been around a long time.. Lmao..