Greetings! Getting ready for a TQ10 restoration.

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Circa1992

Greetings! Getting ready for a TQ10 restoration.

Post by Circa1992 »

I have started looking into restoring my old TQ-10 and have found that this is the place to get the information that I need. I originally purchased and built this car when I was 13. Patience and an attention span were in short supply for me at that age so several shortcuts were taken during the build, most notably in the transmission area. I am now in the process of disassembling the car to remedy these issues derived from my impatience several years ago. My goal is to end up with a well-built car with moderate to high-performance. I do not know if it will ever be put on a race track, however, I would like to keep that option open, at least at a beginner or sport level. So far, it looks like new wheels/tires, brushless motor/ESC system, LiPo battery, body kit and steering rack. I still need to do a lot of research in these areas but input at this point is certainly welcome.

Thanks for all of the great information in these forums. It has already been very helpful. I'm sure that you'll be seeing me on the forums at some point in the near future. Here are some photos of what I have to work with.
IMG_9802_800x600.jpg
IMG_9806_800x600.jpg
IMG_9811_800x600.jpg
IMG_9818_800x600.jpg

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Greetings! Getting ready for a TQ10 restoration.

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I too acquired my first Associated product around 13: A TQ10. 8) Welcome to the board. Great user name too. :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

You have the basis for a great restoration.

White parts can be washed in soapy water and then immersed in a glass jar of bleach(hydrogen peroxide) in sunlight for a few days to re- whiten them.

Only a strip down will reveal what state your 6gear tranny is in. If you want to have an option to race then perhaps hang fire until September when the RC10 Classic and its parts are released, the tranny on this is updated to handle modern brushless systems. Viper and protect bodies are available from tower hobbies

For now, I'd clean it all up and rebuild it as your original spec back in the day - then go relive some childhood memories at the local park/track. Updating and modernising is fine but you've kept the and this long do I'd keep it period myself.

Circa1992

Post by Circa1992 »

Percymon wrote:You have the basis for a great restoration.

White parts can be washed in soapy water and then immersed in a glass jar of bleach(hydrogen peroxide) in sunlight for a few days to re- whiten them.

Only a strip down will reveal what state your 6gear tranny is in. If you want to have an option to race then perhaps hang fire until September when the RC10 Classic and its parts are released, the tranny on this is updated to handle modern brushless systems. Viper and protect bodies are available from tower hobbies

For now, I'd clean it all up and rebuild it as your original spec back in the day - then go relive some childhood memories at the local park/track. Updating and modernising is fine but you've kept the and this long do I'd keep it period myself.
Thanks for the tips, everyone. My front shock tower and left-front A-arm have some black spray paint on them (for some reason). Unfortunately, the A-arm is cracked so it will need to be replaced. I will, however, try your bleaching tip on the shock tower before I spring for a new one, even if they are only $7 on eBay.

I'm on the fence about upgrading to a brushless system now but it's great to know that the new transmission from Associated will handle the added power. For now, I have my original motor and ESC installed and picked up a new Nicad. I'll certainly look into that when the parts become available. I have started tearing down the old transmission and, so far, it looks great. I need to do some minor cleaning but everything looks good.

I plan on rebuilding the shocks and ordering my new front A-arms this week and then see where I'm at.

Does anyone know if the A&L steering assembly (http://vintageteamaandl.com/) will work on the TQ10? I have been emailing back and forth with them, sending various pictures, trying to determine if the RC10T assembly will work or not.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

A&L WILL WORK 10T LONG BELLCRANK NO. AS FAR AS OVERSPRAY ON TOWER use paint thinner in a cup inside the ziplock bag after sits you can wipe off the paint.don

dj6co

Post by dj6co »

Hello everyone, I too am in the process of restoring my Tq 10. I would def buy the new(upgrade) transmission for it. I bought my tq 10 in 1990 i was 15 & was too busy chasing girls lol.. But super amp'd on getting back to my childhood passion. Glad i found this site cheers folks...
Attachments
first paint job in over 20yrs =)
first paint job in over 20yrs =)
i taped the bottom to avoid scuffs =)
i taped the bottom to avoid scuffs =)
CAM00306.jpg

SONYtec

Post by SONYtec »

Welcome!!!

Nice!!!

dj6co

Post by dj6co »

Thanks partner almost done just need the stealth tranny. To run it fast :P cheers