Hi all! here's my ride

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: Hi all! here's my ride

Post by badhoopty »

nice rigs. and welcome to the board!

i was really really tempted to bid on that 3 car lot. were there 2 worlds cars or just the one?

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Nice Score!

I've been giving some thought to stripping a chassis down and making it "shiny".

Did you just soak it in oven cleaner to get that result of just sand on it? Was trying to figure out the best option to strip it. wasn't sure how to go about it and or if it would bring down the value. I'm still trying to find the worst goldtub i have that I can do this too and how much time is involved?

MOmo

BTracer
Approved Member

Post by BTracer »

Thanks for the compliments guys. How's the baby MOmo?

I think that color combo on the car really sets it off. If you have the time, I'd say go for it.

What I did was take an old baking pan, cover the chassis with heavy duty Easy-Off and seal it in a trash bag for about 30 minutes. I did that for 2 rounds. I wet sanded with 400 grit paper after each round. Then hit it with Mother's aluminum polish. Everything seemed to be going well. Then, being the smarty that I am, I figured more is better. So I did one more round and left it for a couple of hours while I took my family out for dinner, I think it was sushi. Mmmm sushi.... (in my best Homer Simpson impression). Anyway, more is NOT better. I ended up with my chassis all pitted and a lot of hours to get it where it is. Main point: go slow and don't leave the oven cleaner on for too long.

For the shocks, I left the shaft and body assembled because I did not want to remove any anodizing from the inside of the shock body. I put them in a ziplock bag and coated everthing with oven cleaner. The anodizing came completely off within minutes, so you might want to closely watch the time on those.

So far I've put about 3 hours in de-anodizing and another 4-5 in sanding because of the deep pitting. All done by hand, so far.

I'm not sure if this is the best way, but that's how I did it.

Value wise, I have never seen a de-anodized chassis go for big bucks on ebay, but if you have a crappy chassis to use, why not. I have seen a chrome powder coated one go for mid-high $300's, though. But to put things in perspective, that seller's bodies usually bring him at least $150 anyway.

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

BTracer wrote:Thanks for the compliments guys. How's the baby MOmo?

I think that color combo on the car really sets it off. If you have the time, I'd say go for it.

So far I've put about 3 hours in de-anodizing and another 4-5 in sanding because of the deep pitting. All done by hand, so far.

I'm not sure if this is the best way, but that's how I did it.

Value wise, I have never seen a de-anodized chassis go for big bucks on ebay, but if you have a crappy chassis to use, why not. I have seen a chrome powder coated one go for mid-high $300's, though. But to put things in perspective, that seller's bodies usually bring him at least $150 anyway.
Baby is well, Thanks for asking. He picks and chooses the nights he sleeps and that takes some getting used to, but its fun being a dad.

My interest in doing this is simply for the looks. I've always like the shiney aluminum finish. i also have a guy here locally who does exceptional PC work, and considered have one PC in a different color. We'll see.

So the Oven cleaner stripped the anodizing, or softened it enough that you could sand it and scrub it off?

I'll have to take a look at my collection. I have 3 Gold tub chassis now, at least one coming and possibly another Team car coming. (MAN this addiction is getting worse!) Anyone else want to chime in. would it be better to strip a Gold tub chassis, or a Team car chassis?

MOmo