What to do with Re-Re Classic

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GeekSpeed
Approved Member

What to do with Re-Re Classic

Post by GeekSpeed »

Hi guys.

I was hoping to get a bit of advice. I just got a free to me Re-Re Classic NIB. I am trying to decide what to do with it. I have a Cadillac that I am almost done restoring and I was going to use it as a resto-racer. It is pretty much stock, with short arms and the 6-gear trans. So should I build the Re-re and race it instead? Should I build it as a shelf queen? Should I sell it and fund other projects? I am kind of attached to it for personal reasons, but I am not sure if that justifies building and running the thing. What would you all do?

GS

shodog
Approved Member

Re: What to do with Re-Re Classic

Post by shodog »

15 years from now the Rere classic will be the rarest of kits. The choice is yours

Spoon
Approved Member

Post by Spoon »

I would keep it in the box and finish up / use the restoration you're working on. If keeping it minty fresh isn't an option and you do have bit of sentimental I would build it and display it. This way you could still get maximum value out of it if you decide to sell it later to fund other projects.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

I never did buy the rere classic, too much money. Really, they are too much to even take out of the box now. So unless you like displaying a box, do something else. For exactly the same look you can restore an A-stamp gold pan car with a new body, wheels, tires, lights, etc, for WAY less money. It will look the same sitting on the shelf. That's what I did. I did however buy a rere Worlds Car, and that one is easier to run, as it's less than half the price, for a batter handeling car. Also the route I went.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

shodog wrote:15 years from now the Rere classic will be the rarest of kits. The choice is yours
In 15 years they will still be a re release. I personally don't see the "rarity" of the number of kits produced driving the prices up. It will always be the originals that bring big cash. For all we know sometime in 15 years there may be another run of them.

rraeford
Approved Member

Post by rraeford »

I agree with your assessment of the "value" of the re-re kits but I think the market is disagreeing with us. If you look at the most recent purchase prices of RC10 Classics on ebay, which I have, they are going for $400 plus. In some cases they are going for almost twice their original price. I've bought two absolutely like new worlds cars and a perfect CE for an average of $125 within the last 8 months. You could make the argument that the cars weren't new in box and this isn't apples to apples. Still, I am amazed at the difference in the perception of value between originals and reproductions. Tamiya has made a fortune selling repro kits. I would be willing to bet that they have made more copies of some models as repros than they did originally. And their repro kits are really expensive.

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

romulus22 wrote:
shodog wrote:15 years from now the Rere classic will be the rarest of kits. The choice is yours
In 15 years they will still be a re release. I personally don't see the "rarity" of the number of kits produced driving the prices up. It will always be the originals that bring big cash. For all we know sometime in 15 years there may be another run of them.

It will be a re release. but 2000 were made and sold. worldwide or some low number. More original worlds cars were sold than a rerelease classis. its rare by numbers.

As for price now they are pricey. but when they came out and most of ae cars with inflation over the 25 years. there what 270 for a rc10 kit now. back in the day just shy of 200 for a non bearing kit. so prices are pretty good for over time.

Corsa
Approved Member

Post by Corsa »

Yeah, if you compare old world prices to nowadays, they're cheaper! I really need to buy one soon.