crawler section?

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: crawler section?

Post by badhoopty »

picked up a new bomber for 300 bucks... neat rig. alot like the wraith but with learnings from what people were doing to them to make them perform better. being the hoarder i am i had almost everything in stock to geek it out. i really only need to make links and get a rear mip driveshaft and i got enough crap to throw at it to make it baller status. ;)

really neat rig but its noticeably cheaper in how its produced than the yeti or the wraith were, and thats kinda lame. things like not using nuts on the back of screws and instead molding more meat into the plastic where the nut woulda been.
Attachments
20160509_224839.jpg

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Is that cage made of metal?

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Mr. ED wrote:Is that cage made of metal?
Its plastic...
Jeff

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Sometimes I miss my crawling days. But even then I didn't like the route it was going with the overpowered trucks and jumps and rock racing style courses. I like precise crawling. I don't know where crawling is these days.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

the more technical moa comp crawler clubs are still around. with the exception of u4 racing i think alot of the 'rock racer' stuff is mostly marketing from axial to try to sell more rtr's.

ive never 'rock raced' any of my scalers.
all the scale comps ive been too there hasnt ever been anything that required going fast (besides making up time in-between gates). its all technical stuff but sometimes wheelspeed is your friend.
ttc comps however have lotsa mud, a pulling sled, and hillclimbs and stuff so for those you want decent wheelspeed. on most all my rigs i run a mmp with a tekin pro4 3300 on 3s and its just about perfect. super smooth low end and enough rpms to get you in trouble.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

I was competing in 2.2 and towards the end of my time in crawling it's seemed like less and less courses were able to be finished in the designated time. All of a sudden courses were integrating gaps jumps and stuff. I lost interest in it. I was fun while it lasted. This was my last comp I attended.

My truck made the cover photo on the Axial website for the event.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

romulus22 wrote:I was competing in 2.2 and towards the end of my time in crawling it's seemed like less and less courses were able to be finished in the designated time. All of a sudden courses were integrating gaps jumps and stuff. I lost interest in it. I was fun while it lasted. This was my last comp I attended.
now I get what you meant. I never ever was interested in the true comp crawling scene mainly because I'm not into moa rigs. but I've read a lot of similar opinions about it becoming a bit elitist.

last year I went to the rocky mountain scale nationals and found the courses to be way over the top. but that's what you get when the comp guys chase everybody away and then have nothing to do but be uber competitive dicks in the scale scene. class1 for example should be very very technical without a lot of gun it and hope to bounce over stuff, but at rocky mountain nats there were freaking wall ride gates in class1. :shock:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Question. Can I use the old 3 piece kyosho wheels with 1.9" crawler tires? I think the width of the rears will match and the diameter is right, but does the tire bead fit between the wheel halves and the inner ring?

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Got started!
Quick picture of " before " and a mock-up of where it's supposed to get.
Twin Hammer owners please share your tricks.
Attachments
WP_DS20160523.jpg
WP_DS20160523(1).jpg

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

My first crawler build has come to the point it can be run.
This morning I took my daughter along and she ended up running the car for about half a pack.
In the evening I returned with a friend who just got his rtr axial this week.
I'm quite happy with my diy conversion and have a couple more improvements in mind.
Attachments
WP_DS20160605(4).jpg
WP_DS20160605(2).jpg
WP_DS20160605(1).jpg
WP_DS20160605.jpg