Midlife crisis RC10

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

nolunchman

Midlife crisis RC10

Post by nolunchman »

picked up an RC10 that reminded me of my RC car days. as fate would have it, the RC car parts I gave go my cousin decades ago ended up with his friend, who later became my friend. after he saw my RC10 he said he had the original box in his storage, plus some other parts, so I also ended up with my original Tekin 411 ESC as well as my original Andy's front bumper (dyed RIT black). he has my original magnum JR Tx too but I decided to upgrade to 2.4 and end the FM glitches of death forever. i will also go with 2 or 3s lipo but stay with brushed motors so I can keep the Tekin in service. all i really need to source now is the original buggy body and set of black Andys arms and my car will be pretty much done. :D

TRX-1-3

Re: Midlife crisis RC10

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Sounds pretty cool. If you are keeping your brushed setup, the Tekin will work fine with the Lipo, but I'm not sure I'd put a brushed motor on 3S. It may go into meldown mode from all the juiced runtime. 2S and a low voltage alarm, adjust gearing accordingly. Have fun!

I ran a Green Machine 2 on 2S with an LRP Indy 600 on turf and it can definitely "hang" with the 17.5 cars, but it was the motor temps that I really had to keep an eye on. If it smells hot, it is hot. I've heard of some folks having motor leads de-soldering from the tabs in the worst case scenarios.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

Hi. Welcome. I’m fairly new here too, having pulled my old Kyosho out of storage recently. Then I found a couple of new-old-stock RC10s while buying parts for my car, and suddenly I was here.
I’ve never run electric, so I can’t help you there. But I can say I’ve only gotten good suggestions (and vibes) from the members here.
Have fun, and let us see some pictures.

Christian
Chris

nolunchman

Post by nolunchman »

good advice on the motor temps. did not really think about that. i was just too excited that my 30 year old tekin could handle 11 cells. i only ran 7 cell hump packs back then.

i ordered a lipo alarm to keep the packs (and my wallet) happy.

will post pics shortly!

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

nolunchman wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:35 pm good advice on the motor temps. did not really think about that. i was just too excited that my 30 year old tekin could handle 11 cells. i only ran 7 cell hump packs back then....

Right? The only reason I might "sound" like I know what I'm talking about is because I lurk around this place!! :lol: :lol: :roll:

Sharky8js

Post by Sharky8js »

Yeah I'm in a similar boat.... my mid life crisis is bmx, RC, and hotwheels .....
Always wanted a rc10 when I was young, then I found one in the classifieds... then just as I got it up and running found a rc10 b4..... now looking to get something 4x4....

nolunchman

Post by nolunchman »

luckily RC is more affordable than vintage BMX. i grew on on a mongoose with a hard kashimax seat and had the very first oakley grips they made. oh dont get me started.

on the RC10 front, looks like i'll be building a stock shelf queen with resistor and one to have fun with at the local track. i brought my A stamp roller to the local hobby/track store to figure out some wheel/tire options and it sure did strike up a few conversations.

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

nolunchman wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:29 pm luckily RC is more affordable than vintage BMX. i grew on on a mongoose with a hard kashimax seat and had the very first oakley grips they made.

Schwinn Predator, with Odi Mushrooms!

Sharky8js

Post by Sharky8js »

nolunchman wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:29 pm luckily RC is more affordable than vintage BMX. i grew on on a mongoose with a hard kashimax seat and had the very first oakley grips they made. oh dont get me started.

on the RC10 front, looks like i'll be building a stock shelf queen with resistor and one to have fun with at the local track. i brought my A stamp roller to the local hobby/track store to figure out some wheel/tire options and it sure did strike up a few conversations.
I have a package with the resistor/ style speed control, I think its unused... lmk if your interested as I dont know what to do with it...

Bmx- I had a 85 skyway streetbeat with woody itson zrims... I traded for a game boy before I went into the airforce.... kicking myself for that!!!!!