So who also collects Lego?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bakauata
Approved Member

Re: So who also collects Lego?

Post by Bakauata »

Wow! That’s one cool model. The Creator series are definitly some of the best ( and most bang for the buck) sets LEGO has made. I’d love to have those VWs (and Mini Cooper) too.
Chris

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

I was a huge Lego nut when I was a kid. 100% of my free time was spent either playing with Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars or building cars with my Legos. My son is 9 and is a huge Lego fan, although he drifts to and from the hobby. I expected to share my son's passion for Legos, but to be honest, it's left me completely dry. Sometimes him and I will sit in his room and create things, but not too often. It's probably because he tends to only keep the kits assembled for a short time, then the bricks end up in a massive bucket, which makes searching for them a major hassle. We bought him a 10-drawer bin to organize them, but his organizational skills were clearly inherited from his mother. :lol:

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

I’m not really a “collector” but I had to get these two from my childhood. These were the super expensive kits I could only dream of having.
EC7CCA7B-03EB-4189-A6CD-2EE725AD92B9.jpeg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I wouldn't call myself a collector but I have some cool old Technic kits. I was lucky enough to get the 8880 Supercar when new which is arguably one of the most engineered lego kits.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

romulus22 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:28 pm I’m not really a “collector” but I had to get these two from my childhood. These were the super expensive kits I could only dream of having.

EC7CCA7B-03EB-4189-A6CD-2EE725AD92B9.jpeg
Ooh! Nice!
I’m going to try and put together 8860 next, but I already know I’m going to come accross a few hurdles. I’m already thinking of upgrading these to the Kyosho red shocks I have sitting around. (Oh! But those are broken too!)
0B3D276B-924C-46CB-B307-3586504715A5.jpeg
And I only have one yellow cone for the exhausts. And I haven’t even started...
Chris

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

Jim85IROC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:35 pm I was a huge Lego nut when I was a kid. 100% of my free time was spent either playing with Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars or building cars with my Legos. My son is 9 and is a huge Lego fan, although he drifts to and from the hobby. I expected to share my son's passion for Legos, but to be honest, it's left me completely dry. Sometimes him and I will sit in his room and create things, but not too often. It's probably because he tends to only keep the kits assembled for a short time, then the bricks end up in a massive bucket, which makes searching for them a major hassle. We bought him a 10-drawer bin to organize them, but his organizational skills were clearly inherited from his mother. :lol:
I’ve taken it upon myself to keep my daughters LEGO organized. I’m not sure if I’m benefiting her or transmitting an OCD.
EB095190-E595-4E8E-AC10-09E10CF700B9.jpeg
But I do also find it hard to be enthusiastic about my daughters LEGO, particularly since it’s all very pink-themed. But I have found her LEGO has many modern pieces which are interesting to work with, and so I’ve tried my hand at micro building techniques which really caught my eye online.

Here’s a couple of my attempts:
F9E63BC4-78B9-4372-BF40-C82F47DA7065.jpeg
And a little house. The hotel is my daughter’s work.
F6F1A775-6DE4-449E-867D-4C87C7B44DD5.jpeg
And these were our wedding cake figures; ten years ago today in fact :shock: . (ok, ok, I’m a fanatic...)
AC4B0C8C-7911-41BE-8608-3AD72B414F8D.jpeg
Chris

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

Bakauata wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:17 am
Jim85IROC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:35 pm I was a huge Lego nut when I was a kid. 100% of my free time was spent either playing with Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars or building cars with my Legos. My son is 9 and is a huge Lego fan, although he drifts to and from the hobby. I expected to share my son's passion for Legos, but to be honest, it's left me completely dry. Sometimes him and I will sit in his room and create things, but not too often. It's probably because he tends to only keep the kits assembled for a short time, then the bricks end up in a massive bucket, which makes searching for them a major hassle. We bought him a 10-drawer bin to organize them, but his organizational skills were clearly inherited from his mother. :lol:
I’ve taken it upon myself to keep my daughters LEGO organized. I’m not sure if I’m benefiting her or transmitting an OCD.

EB095190-E595-4E8E-AC10-09E10CF700B9.jpeg
Last time my wife picked up his room, she piled all 3,246 instruction manuals into the same tub that holds the majority of my son's bricks. I also found action figures and some unidentified objects that may have been a ham sammich at one time. Last time we played legos, I spent the first half hour getting non-bricks out of the brick bucket. Her idea of "clean" is essentially the same as "hidden from view". You don't even want to know what kinds of disasters lurk behind the doors of our kitchen cabinets. :roll:

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Went for a dig and found the supercar, box is a bit worse for wear but still such a cool kit. Happy times :wink:

20190329_234553-1024x576.jpg

20190330_002729-1024x576.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

Oh, wow! Love how you’ve kept it. All in little ziplocks. And the boxes back then were awesome. So practical. I can’t understand how I let them all go.
Back to the LEGO though; It’s an amazing set. I just looked it up again. It is remarkable. And the second model could easily have been a cover model. I remember thinking about getting this one, even though in the 90s, people my age didn’t by legos. But I decided against it obviously, and my college pocket money went into something which probably ended up hurting my brain.
Chris

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

I still have my sets and their instructions from 1982-1996. Took a break until about 2010. Now I have about $6000 worth of Technics, City and Trains. I’ve transitioned from construction, truck and buggies to the Train and City series. In fact, about a month ago, I started to look at some of the unopened sets I have to sell. Sold just two so far but more of the construction vehicle sets are going to go. Sticking with trains and City. FYI, the Supercar pictured above is the last set I purchased in 1996, it’s been built all these year and is going next.
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

esaresky75 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:56 pm I still have my sets and their instructions from 1982-1996. Took a break until about 2010. Now I have about $6000 worth of Technics, City and Trains. I’ve transitioned from construction, truck and buggies to the Train and City series. In fact, about a month ago, I started to look at some of the unopened sets I have to sell. Sold just two so far but more of the construction vehicle sets are going to go. Sticking with trains and City. FYI, the Supercar pictured above is the last set I purchased in 1996, it’s been built all these year and is going next.
Depressing whenever someone posts about selling off... :(
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

tamiya
Approved Member

Post by tamiya »

Hola fellow Lego lovers!

Love looking at those giant vintage Technics chassis past 40+ yrs... technically interesting, but somehow no real desire to own them :P I like building, but after that - what now? It'll just sit around gathering dust.

9398 otoh... that's the first Technics kit that's stayed fun after building 8)

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

tamiya wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:39 pm Hola fellow Lego lovers!

Love looking at those giant vintage Technics chassis past 40+ yrs... technically interesting, but somehow no real desire to own them :P I like building, but after that - what now? It'll just sit around gathering dust.
In my experience, Lego sets from that era didn't stay built for long. It was all about building other stuff, mixing parts from different sets, adding motors, etc. I think I only saw my sets built once, for a week, then never again.
tamiya wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:39 pm 9398 otoh... that's the first Technics kit that's stayed fun after building 8)

But I have to say that set looks tremendous. A genuine "transitional" model between the two "hobbies".
Chris

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

I too enjoy the modern Creator sets. Their accuracy and detail in terms of scale are simply amazing. In my humble opinion, however, that is also a huge strike against them. It seems to me that Lego sets have lost a certain magic over the past two decades. Imagination is no longer required. Creativity has been replaced by the inclusion of an excessive number of specialized pieces.

My favorite Lego sets were (and still are) the Model Team kits from the mid to late 80s. They were incredibly detailed and mostly accurate despite being composed of common, nonspecialized pieces. For example, here are three of my Formula 1 Racer kits with one built as the alternate model:

Something clever goes here...

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

Nice collection. I can just imagine the board room discussion on whether to slap the Marlboro sponsorship on these, or just leave it to the kid’s imagination.
Chris