New Member from SF Bay Area

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Traffic22

New Member from SF Bay Area

Post by Traffic22 »

Hi All,

New member here from SF Bay Area. I was into R/C cars quite bit, when I was in my teens to twenties. As with most people, life got in the way. Most got sold, and a couple got put in storage and forgotten about. Recently, by accident, I stumbled across an article that showed Tamiya had re-released the Blackfoot a few years back. I've always had a soft spot for that truck, as it was the first new R/C I bought. (Had owned some second hand stuff up to that point.) It inspired me to search the storage closet, and low and behold, found some old Team Associated stuff stored away.
IMG_4679.jpg
IMG_4680.jpg
IMG_4678.jpg
IMG_4677.jpg
The DS is actually in nice shape. That battery is VERY old and has been disposed of already. The RC10CE, is a mess. I can't remember how it got that way, but the notes on the box lead me to believe I cannibalized it at one point. Some of the major components look like they are mostly there. I pulled it completely apart this weekend and began cleaning and inspecting everything. It appears about 80-90% of the parts are still there.

I haven't really decided what I am going to do with either car. My first thought was to try and rebuild the CE, as the DS (which appears will actually run, transmission moves smooth, shocks don't leak, tires seem a little sketchy.) never was quite as fun.

I joined to look through the build posts, try to figure out information related to restorations, and figure out where guys buy parts. (Finding parts seems to be the hardest parts.)

Well, that's my story, probably won't post a whole lot, but will definitely be looking around and trying to figure things out. Thanks for having me.

Chuck

KidAgain

Re: New Member from SF Bay Area

Post by KidAgain »

Chuck that’s great, I have a soft spot for the DS’s check out my builds and I should be able to help answer questions as well as most here.

What’s good about the DS is it’s multi use capabilities, I road race and drag race my DS’s keeps them busy.
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

That’s awesome that you still have your old cars. There are tons of threads on restoring and adapting new tech to your old RC10

Traffic22

Post by Traffic22 »

shodog wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:18 pm That’s awesome that you still have your old cars. There are tons of threads on restoring and adapting new tech to your old RC10
Thanks. And I will definitely look around. Rebuilding so far has been slow. Hunting for the right parts and screws through a box of loose parts is harder than building it new. Slowly getting there.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

What part of the Bay Area are you from?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Traffic22

Post by Traffic22 »

RC10th wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:08 am What part of the Bay Area are you from?
Redwood City. I see you’re from Australia so I’m not sure if you know where that is, but I’m about 10 miles south of the San Francisco Airport.

helbnd1

Post by helbnd1 »

20191228_085347.jpg
I dug this up from the Roar off road nationals held at Antioch. 2wd stock and modified with my rc10.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I'm originally from San Carlos so I know where it is :D
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Traffic22

Post by Traffic22 »

RC10th wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:41 pm I'm originally from San Carlos so I know where it is :D
Practically neighbors. (Well not so much anymore.) :D

Traffic22

Post by Traffic22 »

helbnd1 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:03 pm 20191228_085347.jpg I dug this up from the Roar off road nationals held at Antioch. 2wd stock and modified with my rc10.
Very cool. Antioch is about an hour from me. (Or 3 in Bay Area traffic.) :D

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Hailing from San Jose. I heard on the news that Talbots is closing. There may be some vintage parts there. Sheldons down here in San Jose has quite a few parts and such for RC10

Traffic22

Post by Traffic22 »

shodog wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:11 pm Hailing from San Jose. I heard on the news that Talbots is closing. There may be some vintage parts there. Sheldons down here in San Jose has quite a few parts and such for RC10
I saw that on the news. I didn’t think to check them out but that’s a good idea. I doubt they have old stuff, but can’t hurt to check.

Thank you for the suggestions.