Jrx2 motors

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sgirouard
Approved Member

Re: Jrx2 motors

Post by sgirouard »

I had two black magic motors back in the day.

The modified was black and gold and the stock was silver can with green vinyl on it.

My god that stock motor was like cheating. I had tried the B&R, Trinity Monster Horsepower, Team Checkpoint and Twister stock motors.

The Black Magic was faster, more acceleration and I could get 6 minutes out of it where all the others, on the same batter were 4 minutes and 5 seconds (I spent A LOT of time gearing the car to get the max speed and eeking out the race). When I got the Black Magic, I never looked back.

The Black Magic Modified.....well...I don't remember the specs, but it was good up to 100,000 RPMS.

pmathews924
Approved Member

Post by pmathews924 »

I remember that one for sure...think it came out right when we were getting out of racing.
Losi Jrx2 Pro
Kyosho Big Brute (work in progress)

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

sgirouard wrote:I had two black magic motors back in the day.

The modified was black and gold and the stock was silver can with green vinyl on it.

My god that stock motor was like cheating. I had tried the B&R, Trinity Monster Horsepower, Team Checkpoint and Twister stock motors.

The Black Magic was faster, more acceleration and I could get 6 minutes out of it where all the others, on the same batter were 4 minutes and 5 seconds (I spent A LOT of time gearing the car to get the max speed and eeking out the race). When I got the Black Magic, I never looked back.

The Black Magic Modified.....well...I don't remember the specs, but it was good up to 100,000 RPMS.
100,000 RPM's! Yowza!
I remember the hot motors back in the day running 30,000 to 40,000 RPM's.
That Black Magic must've been turbo-charged! :twisted:
-dldiaz

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

Only motors I remember boasting 100k rpm were the drag motors with "rare earth magnets;" Astroflight anyone :)

pmathews924
Approved Member

Post by pmathews924 »

These must be pretty rare because I'm having a hard time even finding a pic of the black magic motors.

Went to a buddy's house last night and we've decided to start racing each other...only rules are brushed motors only, and electronics/chassis/everything else must be pre-1995. He's going to try and build the 1994 Kinwald RC10 worlds car, so I'm gonna need to be pretty fast.
Losi Jrx2 Pro

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Madweazl,

You're dead on, the mod motor I had was a drag motor.

After finding a thread on a different, other people had posted about them

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/265613-black-magic-motors.html

Also Eau Rouge posted about owning one on a vintage motor thread here.

I didn't remember a lot of details aside from the colors of the motors and the brand name.

Apparently it was called AJ's Black Magic VooDoo. They were made by Tom Aument who was based out of the Detroit area (again, going by the RCTech posting).

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Black Magic Voodoo! I remember those and their 10k spec.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

pmathews924
Approved Member

Post by pmathews924 »

So you can drop a 100k RPM drag motor in your car and it won't tear anything up? Do you sacrifice anything on the track by doing that?
Losi Jrx2 Pro

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

pmathews924 wrote:So you can drop a 100k RPM drag motor in your car and it won't tear anything up? Do you sacrifice anything on the track by doing that?
No, you can't drop a 100k motor in your car- it would melt lots and lots of parts, and do donuts with any and every throttle application on every surface. Given a FDR (final drive ratio) of 5.0:1 you could turn 50,000 RPM at the wheels, and very few mod motors could turn that without load in a dyno. Hell, most drivers can't deal with 24,000 RPM at the motor shaft! I doubt you could go 100' without throwing pins through the wheels, and in the trans-

madweazl
Approved Member

Post by madweazl »

Astroflight -05. Cant remember the specs anymore but they were pretty impressive.

pmathews924
Approved Member

Post by pmathews924 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
pmathews924 wrote:So you can drop a 100k RPM drag motor in your car and it won't tear anything up? Do you sacrifice anything on the track by doing that?
No, you can't drop a 100k motor in your car- it would melt lots and lots of parts, and do donuts with any and every throttle application on every surface. Given a FDR (final drive ratio) of 5.0:1 you could turn 50,000 RPM at the wheels, and very few mod motors could turn that without load in a dyno. Hell, most drivers can't deal with 24,000 RPM at the motor shaft! I doubt you could go 100' without throwing pins through the wheels, and in the trans-
That's what I was thinking but had to ask...tracking down most of the parts I need on craigslist, but I can't decided for the life of me what motor I want to run.
Losi Jrx2 Pro

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

What kind of running are you doing? Racing...bashing.....?

pmathews924
Approved Member

Post by pmathews924 »

I'll probably bash with it but I'm building it to race...two of my friends have found a Kyosho Optima and an RC10b2, and I'm going to race them with my Junior 2.

Our rules...basically the same as vintage class but extended by one year

pre-1995
brushed set-up
we're all running the same batteries (NiCH so we don't have to convert cars to lipo and spend a ton of money)
open electronics (i'd like to stick with older, period stuff if I could)

If you could give me some help on what components to put on the car that'd be awesome...light, fast, durable, fast, good handling, and fast is what I'm going for.

I've got my eye on a Paragon 18x5 but I can't find any info on it...pretty sure it would be a good fit, but I can't afford to burn up trannies and electronics so that's what I'm worried about...need something that would pair well with an old novak, lrm tranny, etc.
Losi Jrx2 Pro

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
Haha, awesome answer.

No you can't simply ride a 100k rpm drag motor into Mordor.

Keep in mind, the motor was RATED for 100,000K, it doesn't mean you made it go that fast.

If I remember correctly. I had my stock geared 22/78 and when I wanted speed runs with the voodoo I ran 18/88, both on 6 cells. I warped one robinson white spur gear, melted one ball diff and went through countless rear rims having the pins break the rims.

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

1st page of this thread really hits home, great read if u raced stock buggies in the late 80's! :D
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros