Hobbywing EZRun or Quicrun ?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

R6cowboy

Hobbywing EZRun or Quicrun ?

Post by R6cowboy »

Trying to choose a Hobbywing ESC & motor combo for 1/10 off-road 4x4 buggy and/or 2wd stadium truck. Will not be used for racing. Is there any reasoning to pick the EZrun over the Quicrun, or vice versa? Is one better than the other? I've tried searching this with not much luck.
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Re: Hobbywing EZRun or Quicrun ?

Post by juicedcoupe »

The Hobbywing series are XERUN, EZRUN, and QUICRUN, top to bottom. Generally, the QUICRUN will have less features and capabilities compared to the upper series units. But if those features and capabilities aren't needed, you might can save some money with a lower tier model.

But you can compare features of the exact models side by side on their site.

Also, search the forums for any particular model that interests you. If it is known to have any issues, it will be out there. But take negative feedback with a grain of salt, some people aren't qualified to boil water. Half the esc's I own were bought as "not working" or "for parts", with nothing wrong with them.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Not racing, I've just got bog standard 540 motor, £8 ESC off ebay and good enough for kerb bashing in the street. But if you aspire to top knotch kit and plenty of cash you'll get plenty of advice on lipo, brushless etc. Ford or Ferrari?

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

juicedcoupe wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:56 am The Hobbywing series are XERUN, EZRUN, and QUICKRUN, top to bottom. Generally, the QUICKRUN will have less features and capabilities compared to the upper series units. But if those features and capabilities aren't needed, you might can save some money with a lower tier model.

But you can compare features of the exact models side by side on their site.

Also, search the forums for any particular model that interests you. If it is known to have any issues, it will be out there. But take negative feedback with a grain of salt, some people aren't qualified to boil water. Half the esc's I own were bought as "not working" or "for parts", with nothing wrong with them.
You know what, I seen a Hobbywing website side-by-side comparison google link when researching yesterday (comparison chart was for 1/8 scale stuff, not 1/10). But when I was on the Hobbywing site, my oblivious ass could not find how to use their side-by-side compare feature for the exact models I was looking at.

Anyways, the following are the setups that interest me:
1) EZrun MAX10 sensorless ESC, w/ EZrun 3652 G2 4000kV motor (combo)= $101
2) Quicrun 10BL60 SD sensored ESC, w/ Quicrun 10.5T motor (combo)= $93
3) Quicrun 10BL60 sensorless ESC, w/ EZrun 3652 4000kV motor (Quicrun sensorless motors discontinued)= $101
I'm not interested in unnecessarily spending $200-$300 on the top shelf XERUN business.

Originally I was looking at the Castle Sidewinder 4 sensorless ESC, w/ 1406 4600kV motor (combo)= $130. But thru a lot of searching it seems like many folks prefer Hobbywing over Castle, even without considering the slight price difference...? Don't ask me, I don't have experience with either. I'm sure both are quite good.
So I'm leaning towards the EZrun combo. Thanks pal.
-Jerry-

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

threesheds wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:46 am Not racing, I've just got bog standard 540 motor, £8 ESC off ebay and good enough for kerb bashing in the street. But if you aspire to top knotch kit and plenty of cash you'll get plenty of advice on lipo, brushless etc. Ford or Ferrari?
I hear ya. Nothing wrong with getting cheaper low dollar ebay stuff if it fits your fancy. I do prefer to purchase from a more reputable company, but not looking to get their high dollar, top tier stuff. That's too much unnecessarily spent cash.
-Jerry-

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Hobbywing's customer service is not what it used to be and their warranties have diminished to nothing. I have been a fan of Hobbywing for a while, but lately have been much less impressed. I still run them in all my race cars, but if you don't need the options, like boost/turbo timing, active abs, etc, I would not hesitate to go with a cheap ebay esc. I have done so many times in my bashers and vintage runners and found they are a good value. I would recommend a sensored esc/motor though. Sensored setups will always have a smoother throttle and no cogging or hesitation off the line.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Well just purchased a couple vintage Novak ESC's, a Super Rooster & Rooster. Along with a few vintage Trinity motors; Speed Gems Topaz 11T, Ruby 16T, Speed Gems 2 Ruby 16T and re-release Speed Gems Nitronite 12T.
Still getting the Hobbywing EZrun ESC & 4000kv motor combo simply because I like to have the variety. I'll be getting the Hobbywing combo at the local hobby shop, so if I'm unfortunate enough to run into any warranty issues, possibly they're willing to help out. Of course I'd love to avoid crossing that bridge altogether.
-Jerry-

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

Basher67 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:15 pm Hobbywing's customer service is not what it used to be and their warranties have diminished to nothing. I have been a fan of Hobbywing for a while, but lately have been much less impressed. I still run them in all my race cars, but if you don't need the options, like boost/turbo timing, active abs, etc, I would not hesitate to go with a cheap ebay esc. I have done so many times in my bashers and vintage runners and found they are a good value. I would recommend a sensored esc/motor though. Sensored setups will always have a smoother throttle and no cogging or hesitation off the line.
I called them several times and almost always had Charlie answer the phone and he seemed a bit condescending in some of his replies but he was always there and he seems to know his stuff. I am not sure if he does all the customer support (he does their videos) or not.