Tamiya Avante blue metallic chrome special build (30th anniversary)

The place for all things re-release Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Tamiya Avante blue metallic chrome special build (30th anniversary)

Post by TokyoProf »

This is my special build of the Tamiya Avante “Tokyo Chrome Special” TCS 2022. It is art and engineering on wheels. The foundation is a meticulously built 2011 reissue Tamiya Avante that goes along with a collectible 30th anniversary 2018 Avante chrome body from Japan. Click on the photo for higher resolution.

1. The 30th anniversary blue chrome body is blue jewelry. Factory cut body and plated on the outside.
2. The stickers require the most work on this vehicle second to painting the driver and cockpit.
3. The rear is ride height is 6 millimeters too long (or too high ). Tamiya shock shaft spacers were inserted in the rear shocks to level the dogbones front to rear and create a more level appearance.
4. The ideal ride height now removes the need for plastic ride height spacers on the shocks.
5. Visually there is too much metal in the front steering assembly for my liking. I added the graphite steering assembly option which better matches the graphite shock tower in the rear. Now the metal and graphite is more balanced.
6. I inserted a small clear antenna for that modern RC look and a chrome yellow body clip.
7. I came across a rare pair of aluminum Avante stickers from the 1980s. I didn’t know what to do with it—until now. It serves as a perfect shelf display sticker.
8. Vintage 1980s Tamiya electronics round out the build and the gold metal accents of the car.
9. Rear shock cap spacers so the screw and end bolt are more flush...who is looking anyway.
10. I worked in the Silicon Valley, and use to live next to Mt. Diablo, so the Avante stickers were always "neat" :)
Attachments
IMG_1224 4.jpeg
IMG_2216.jpeg
IMG_2211.jpeg
IMG_2841.jpeg
IMG_2838.jpeg
IMG_2832.jpeg
IMG_2170.jpeg
IMG_2149.jpeg
IMG_2179 2.jpeg
IMG_2144 2.jpeg
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: The best Tamiya Avante ever made (2022 TCS)

Post by XLR8 »

"Art on wheels" seems like an appropriate description. That's a beautiful car.
Doug

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Re: The best Tamiya Avante ever made (2022 TCS)

Post by TokyoProf »

XLR8 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:43 am "Art on wheels" seems like an appropriate description. That's a beautiful car.
Thank you. The combo esc and receiver was a very tight fit, but inside and outside it came out just as I imagined. I was surprised to discover that the Avante gold shock body colors are different based on the Avante rerelease year. The first rerelease versions were lighter in color (like the 1988 original light gold colors), with later releases the more vibrant gold you see in the photos.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut