Shock ID help: Equalizer shocks?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rcjunkie3000

Shock ID help: Equalizer shocks?

Post by rcjunkie3000 »

Hello all, need some assistance identifying these shocks.

I have an old Kyosho Lazer that came with these shocks (I’m not the original owner). They look like the Equalizer shocks but they don’t have the 6 sided shock caps. See photos. These have round smooth caps (maybe swapped?). I also thought the Equalizer shocks have a threaded body for the shock collars. These don’t have a a threaded body.

[For reference only; the photos of the instructions and the packaged shocks are not mine.]

I also added a photo of the instructions and the Option House package with an ”H” at the end of the part number; W5082H and W5081H show non-threaded Equalizer shock bodies. The W5082 and W5081 Option House Equalizer shocks are threaded.

Were these available as both threaded and unthreaded? If so, what kit did they come with?

If not Kyosho, what other brands made similar shocks?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
A53E83C4-1BEB-47DD-A780-7C27B975D44D.jpeg
14DD1A89-2699-491E-9B75-BD2EEB5CE972.jpeg
1154859E-55C7-4221-999A-19223D6FAED4.jpeg
5AC86B69-688B-46B0-94C9-BB8BC9910C6D.jpeg

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Re: Shock ID help: Equalizer shocks?

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Those do looks like Kyosho shocks.

Equaliser shocks are a bit of a disaster to identify properly because Kyosho produced variants of these shocks under the same part numbers. So it would completely depend on when they were bought. The "H" denotes hard anodized shock bodies, AFAIK, and they also exist with threaded bodies.

For the shock caps, these might have been replaced by the original owner. Black round caps might have been available from Kyosho separately, as their plastic bodied sports shocks (which also come in multiple variations depending on the period they were released in, with no change in part number) use round caps. I've never tested whether those caps fit on the alloy shock bodies, but wouldn't be surprised if they did, since the sports shocks use the same spring diameter as the equalizers, golds, etc.