New to the site

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

BillC

New to the site

Post by BillC »

Hey everyone, just introducing myself. My name is Bill, Ive got a old King Blackfoot that Im messin' with.

I bought it like 8 years ago, but for the last 5 or so it sat in my attic. I just ran accross it the other day and decided to blow the dust off and see what it needed.

I lubed up all the bearings & gears. The original lube was toast. I also had to reset the ESC, and steering servo. I got it running fairly decent considering its age. It still needs servo adjustments.

Its been a while since Ive been into the hobby. I used to have a Hotshot, and a Midnight Pumpkin back in the day. Im looking to replace the hotshot, what a great buggy that thing was.

Anyway, Im just here to learn and see whats out there for my truck. Anyone got any suggestions for a King Blackfoot......motors, bodies, suspension?

GJW
Approved Member

Re: New to the site

Post by GJW »

welcome mate..lots of great wisdom here buddy sure someone has the answers you seek..enjoy the forum :)

BillC

Post by BillC »

Thanks, Ive been lurking for a few days now. Alot of info here, unfortunatley not much on the King Blackfoot though.

Im working on picking up a used Hotshot for my kid so we can tear up the yard :lol:

Stumpy
Approved Member

Post by Stumpy »

Why not just buy a new Hotshot??

Tamiya re-released them a year or two ago, so have a look on-line, at ebay, or contact you local hobby shop and see what they can do for you..

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58391hotshot/index.htm

This one may also be of interest to you as well http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58365pumpkin/index.htm

You could also try tamiyaclub.com for more info on the Blackfoot..

Cheers

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I've been busy with work and meant to chime in on this. I still don't have much time but here's a quick thought: get to your local hobby shop. If you want the old school feel for your kid there are a bunch of re-releases still out there: Hotshot, Frog, Hornet, Brat, Pumpkin, Lunchbox.... An original Hotshot has several issues that the re-re fixed and you will be finding cracks and worn parts everywhere. :roll:

Another option is to get a more modern buggy for your kid depending how old he/she is. If you're going to be building the whole thing anyway (too young), a RTR may be the way to go. My LHS has a Duratrax Evader EXT (stadium truck) ready to go for $130 and is even throwing in a battery & charger for a Christmas deal (at the same $130)!!

Tamiyaclub is a great source too. Best of luck and if I get more time I'll throw in more of my 2 cents! :lol:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

BillC

Post by BillC »

I didnt know they re-released the hotsot. Come to think of it I saw a "new" hotshot on ebay that looked a bit different from what I remember having. I guess it was the re-release version.

Only reason im thinking about a used hotshot is its only $50 and it runs fine. My kid is only 3, but he loves RC cars. Hes got a bunch, but nothing on the level of these old Tamiyas. I figured if he f's up the hotshot, its only $50 wasted. He's already ran the blackfoot full speed into walls, and stuff. :shock:

I got a few hobby shops in my area, Gallimods is a popular place in my neck of the woods. After the holidays I might stop in and see what they have to offer.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

With the hotshot already out for 2 years you might have an easier time picking up the rereleased boomerang: Inside the gearcases they are identic to the hotshot and the boomerang is/was a slightly improved hotshot overall.
On the other hand, 3 year old, maybe you want to get something a little more along the duratrax line: They got this stress-tech thing: one year guarantee on all breakage... Don't forget if that 50$ deal breaks down (and it will) you're going to start spending.

1/10 is easier to handle , but surely consider the trucks in smaller scales also; like the vendetta ST package, pretty cheap and a lot stronger than the hotshot.
Really popular in Japan were the tamtech series. I didn't have have a big opinion about them till on my last day in Japan I got to race one for a full afternoon. Oh my, the abuse those things take is incredible. First time for me to jump tripples and see a car I'm driving fly. They all had wild boar sized wheels though: the buggy tires are just too smal to take on bumpier surfaces.