juggernaut

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

lostwages
Approved Member

juggernaut

Post by lostwages »

was the juggernaut not a very popular kit thus not collectible? i dont see them on ebay often.

minichamps11
Approved Member

Re: juggernaut

Post by minichamps11 »

lostwages wrote:was the juggernaut not a very popular kit thus not collectible? i dont see them on ebay often.
Don't think they were out for long before the Jugg 2 was released. The original had gearbox durability issues - a rare mistake from Tamiya that should make them more popular in the future. At least I hope so, as I need to sell my NIB sometime ....

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

The Juggernaut is probably the rarest kit Tamiya ever made, or ever will make. It was only in production for a few months and was quickly taken off the market because of the problems in the axles as minichamps mentioned. One of the few "lemons" Tamiya ever made. They quickly redid the Juggy and released the Juggernaut 2 with a beefed up drivetrain. Unfortunately a stock Juggernaut 2 didn't handle very well, so it was only around for a couple years before the drive train was beefed up yet again and put on a whole new chassis and suspension set up, and it became the TXT-1. Unfortunately Tamiya ditched the awesome F350 body for an ugly generic lexan body. Not sure why they discontinued the Jugg 2 at that point, because there was already an aftermarket suspension upgrade available, and everybody was 4-linking them. There are usually a couple Juggernaut 2's up on ebay, and frequently Jugg 1's as well. Steer clear of the Jugg 1 unless you're just going to admire it on the shelf.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

if i remember right, tamiya did send out updated gears kits for owners that bought the jugg 1. so, i wouldn't say all of the jugg 1's have the defective parts.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yep, they did. And the upgrade was available for a while after too. The upgrade is easily ID'd because the axles are stamped "2000" on them. These axles would then be included in the Jugg 2 kits. If the axles don't have that stamp, I would not risk running them. They are good as rare collectibles and not much else.

I kinda wish Tamiya had not added the "2" on the updated, upgraded version. The Juggernaut had a major design flaw. It was fixed, but the truck looked the same. I think they should have just stamped the gearboxes, maybe redid the packaging and left the truck titled "Juggernaut". It's such a good name for a monster truck.

Of course, I think they should have left the F350 on the TXT-1 as well, now that could have been called the Juggernaut 2, or even better the Super Juggernaut with it's new chassis and suspension.

I wish I could get a job with Tamiya designing monster trucks. 8)

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I had one and it was the worst piece of dung Tamiya made. The bevel gears in the axles would only last about 2 battery packs. What cheesed me off was that Tamiya gave free care kits but you had to purchase the updated parts.

FasterLouder
Approved Member

Post by FasterLouder »

A close friend of mine just picked up a Juggernaut 2 in a trade.
He's never going to drive it,he just thought it'd look good on his shelf with his (many) other cars.
Here's a photo he sent me,showing how the Jugg 2 dwarfs his other trucks.
For reference,that's a Tamiya High Lift Hilux left of the Jugg 2...
Attachments
JUGG2.jpg
All The Way Alive