RC equipment modification...

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tiger1
Approved Member

RC equipment modification...

Post by tiger1 »

After a few days of holiday, something happened in my RC garage.... :mrgreen:

Well, not very intelligent but it was fun to me. I know some may think this is a crime.... :twisted:

It all started because, since a few months ago, I thought my 75mhz AM Futaba Attack was old, well, after all, I got it for less than USD$10 back in 1992 when I was going to school in Chicago. :roll:

One thing I did not like about the attack, even though very economical and robust, the trim shifts a lot, I have to adjust the trims everytime I run my cars, even though I do not run my cars too often. :cry: Well, this was a design problem, there ws one rheostat for each channel and the trim was simply a physical shift of the whole rheostat, which was a bit pre-historical. :roll:
Attachments
My old transmitter. A bit dusty but it works OK... and I though it could look smarter....
My old transmitter. A bit dusty but it works OK... and I though it could look smarter....

tiger1
Approved Member

Re: RC equipment modification...

Post by tiger1 »

Then I found this Expert 7ch transmitter NIB for sale on the bay a few months ago and got it for ~USD18, shipping was expensive though, cost me close to USD$50 in total....

It is smart looking, professional look alike, after all, with many switches and buttons :roll:

I told my colleague at work, the whole reason I bought it was because it looks smart, as though it would have changed my IQ by a % point or so :P
Attachments
This the back, nice and clean with a small window so that one could tell the frequency module inside, it was FM 72mhz, meant not for cars, therefore you see a red sticker at the bottom.
This the back, nice and clean with a small window so that one could tell the frequency module inside, it was FM 72mhz, meant not for cars, therefore you see a red sticker at the bottom.
This is the transmitter, a bit larger than my Attack, thicker by about 1cm. There was as sticker dated 1989. Perfect condition...
This is the transmitter, a bit larger than my Attack, thicker by about 1cm. There was as sticker dated 1989. Perfect condition...

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Then I went on to do some difficult surgeries.

My assumption were that:

(1) the rheostats for the 4 main channels are the same in values between my Futaba attack and the Expert transmitter, if I were wrong then I would have to use the Futaba rheostats (and I was correct!!!), :shock:

(2) with some time and elbow grease and luck, soldering and un-soldering, this should be an interesting, even though not highly intelligent, project 8)

(3) I always wanted a metal case transmitter anyway, :)

(4) a transmitter with numerous buttons may raise my IQ by a percentage point 8)
Attachments
This was the look of the transmitter after I unsoldered the wires between the board and the control switches on top of the transmitter. Rather clean design.
This was the look of the transmitter after I unsoldered the wires between the board and the control switches on top of the transmitter. Rather clean design.
This is the whole circuit board of the 7ch + the frequency module. Rather simple. You can see the little switches for reverse and channel mixing. I felt like I have destroyed an art.... no, an antique.
This is the whole circuit board of the 7ch + the frequency module. Rather simple. You can see the little switches for reverse and channel mixing. I felt like I have destroyed an art.... no, an antique.
This is the completed item. Basically, I transplanted the circuit board of the Futaba Attack into this case. The light blue colored areas at the antenna base was dental acrylic resin, which is very strong and I used to reinforce the antenna mount.
This is the completed item. Basically, I transplanted the circuit board of the Futaba Attack into this case. The light blue colored areas at the antenna base was dental acrylic resin, which is very strong and I used to reinforce the antenna mount.

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Ok, at the end, the project was successful. :P

However, only one of the switches on the top panel was used for servo reverse. :wink: the other switches were there to show of my intelligent capacity (or dis-capacity) :mrgreen:

The main advantage was that now there are 2 rheostats for both channel 1 and 2, the additional trim rheostats make fine adjustments so much more reliable. :mrgreen:

This is still essentially a futaba attack 2ch 75 mhz AM transmitter with 20+ years old technology.

This project reduced my net worth a bit but did not change my IQ in anyway at all, which was disappointing :( but not surprising... ;)

tomolupus
Approved Member

Post by tomolupus »

tiger1 wrote:did not increase or decrease my IQ in anyway at all, which was disappointing :( but not surprising... ;)
Hmm... If your IQ was reduced...... would you really be able to notice it ?...... Just a thought :wink:

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

He wouldn't the rest of us might :twisted:
Coo ljob on radio all the same

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

tomolupus wrote:
tiger1 wrote:did not increase or decrease my IQ in anyway at all, which was disappointing :( but not surprising... ;)
Hmm... If your IQ was reduced...... would you really be able to notice it ?...... Just a thought :wink:
Hello, what? :roll: :lol:

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

More changes made to this project :mrgreen:
Attachments
SN851692.JPG