Another one of my RC10 Hybrids!!!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scollins
Approved Member

Another one of my RC10 Hybrids!!!

Post by scollins »

Hi all,
While I am deciding on what color scheme to do my RC10 Sand Scorcher (shortened RC10) I pulled another trick out of my sleeve using extra parts, some which were purchased here on RC10talk.

I have already posted this on TamiyaClub and tweaked a few members to ask, "Howd' you do that?"

I thought I would post it here to see what you think- Below is the description I posted on TamiyaClub so you can read about the details...Enjoy! This thing is gonna be awesome when finished... Have to decide on whether to stick with box art Grasshopper paint and decals or something more focused on the RC10 element of the car 8) .... scollins

Hi guys, I had a NIB Grasshopper that I never posted in my showroom because I wanted to blow your minds with something really one-off. Talk about hybrid projects!! LOL!! I cranked on this for 5 hours straight with no breaks. And this is what happens when I run mad with a weird idea, stay up all nite and cut up a used RC10 chassis tub with a jig saw!! Funny thing is after I painted the chassis tub satin black and attached it properly to the Hopper chassis, it looks completely factory. For instance, in the rear of the aluminum chassis plate I was able to use the 4 holes on the plastic Hopper chassis. The area where the rear axle mounts slide into the Grasshopper frame. I just drilled the same placement of those holes in the aluminum tub. You cant even tell this was some funky project. It literally looks like Associated and Tamiya did a special edition car together! Still need to fabricate a chassis to transmission brace and some other odds and ends. The front shock mounts are temporary, these will be re-fabbed later. Possibly the worlds first marriage of a Grasshopper and an RC10 with a slipper clutch to boot! What a perfect blend, these hybrid things are a blast to work on. A perfect way to tweak the minds of collectors and kit bashers alike........
Attachments
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (71.33 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (71.33 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
1b.jpg
1b.jpg (79.22 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
1b.jpg
1b.jpg (79.22 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
1c.jpg
1c.jpg (74.26 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
1c.jpg
1c.jpg (74.26 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
1d.jpg
1d.jpg (65.16 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
1d.jpg
1d.jpg (65.16 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
When in doubt, throttle out ...... scollins

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Looks to me like Grass-10 or an RC Hopper depending on how you look at it.

scollins
Approved Member

Thanks Jim

Post by scollins »

Thanks, I was thinking "StealthHopper" 8)

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

hehe, pretty rad dude.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

LOL! Steve you are officially nuts!.... but I love it.

Jay

scollins
Approved Member

Thanks Hoop

Post by scollins »

Hey Hoop, thanks for the thumbs up. As a product of the 1970's and a teenage RC nerd in the 1980's I have to pay homage to both Associated and Tamiya as I ran stuff from both camps. This weekend it was making me laugh how well these two chassis actually work together,

BUT- I know people are going to question my sanity on this one, thats OK, these hybrids are great fun to do and besides a stock Grasshopper handles like crap anyway.

I would love to go to the track this summer and scare some people in the stock buggy class with this thing!!!!! I might be able to compensate for the prehistoric front suspension geometry with good clean driving and a little luck! 8) .... scollins

ra272
Approved Member

Post by ra272 »

It's the nicest Grasshopper I ever seen. With a good motor, you will have the fastest Grasshopper in the world.
Great build!!

scollins
Approved Member

Thanks guys

Post by scollins »

Thanks for the compliments guys, and yes Jay I am a little nuts. OK I am insane. But I get tired of building the same old stuff.

I could probably find a niche out there for building cool hybrids like this. I am planning to build another RC10 Scorcher and put it up for sale here or on TamiyaClub.

it would probably sell in less than 10 minutes- reason? Because the stuff I am doing is to take the best elements of two completely popular, yet different cars and twist them together so it is seamless. All the good memories of two different vintage cars wrapped together in one solid package.

BTW Jay, did you get the DVD of the decals I made for you?? (It was recycled files from a disc I got from a friend)....scollins

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

what a neat hybrid... i like it so far.... :)

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

That's sweet due. 8)

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

That's real COOL!Who gave you the idea for this cross breeding project?!!LOL

scollins
Approved Member

cross- breeder

Post by scollins »

Hey there,
I have been messing with cross breeding RC cars for years, Back in 1993 I combined a Monster Beetle and a Traxxas Hawk (long story).

I think it started out of just playing around with extra parts, now I design them to look seamless. :) .......scollins

Brat
Approved Member

Re: cross- breeder

Post by Brat »

scollins wrote:Hey there,
I have been messing with cross breeding RC cars for years, Back in 1993 I combined a Monster Beetle and a Traxxas Hawk (long story).

I think it started out of just playing around with extra parts, now I design them to look seamless. :) .......scollins
IMPRESSIVE!!!

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Finally, a reason to buy a grasshopper.

coxy-ben
Approved Member

Post by coxy-ben »

strange.........