ok guys new guy here with RC10 conversion *PICS*

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Woobie
Approved Member

Post by Woobie »

Cool looking conversion. I think that is the first one I have actually seen, with the Red Prince rear end and the RC10 front end.

I like the Losi steering cranks, but if you wanted even more red, watch for the Hot Trick ones, even though they would obviously pale in quality to the ones already on there. You could also put on a set of the HT front arms.

I dont really know how they compared to the stuff back in the day, but to say that their quality is bad, is a little ridiculous, imho. The fiberglass pieces I have, are all flawless, period. The aluminum parts are just as good. Hot Trick marketed their fiberglass stuff as something called TriDirComp, which basically was their secret recipe, that supposedly eliminated radio glitching that was common in cars that did have fiberglass chassis'. Many of the chassis plates were made in either in ultra light or heavy duty, and the heavy duty versions are hard to cut, let alone break. I would honestly be surprised if anybody ever broke a heavy duty chassis plate, short of running it over with a semi, or jumping it off the side of a mountain. The ultra light was practically paper thin, and still suprisingly strong. Tons of flex, but again, hardly inferior quality- it weighed practically nothing.

Sure, I understand that racers probably did not use this stuff, although the author of this thread contradicts that statement.

And how about things like the wheel adaptors- they made about a dozen different sets of adaptors so you could have virtually any combination you wanted. Or, how about the aluminum, one piece front shock mount for the Grasshopper? Those were great ideas, and sure, maybe they did steal them from CRP, but then again, I do not know if CRP made theirs first or not.

Just my biased point of view of course.

Scott

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

low mileage GNX's with everything in order and there bring over $80k now:)

Ron Jeremy wrote:I've always wanted one of them cars with the Jiffy Lube symbol on them.
Or the GNX :twisted:
But alas, the best I could do was a ride in one. In the mid 90's I went and looked at one. Had hundreds of miles on it (!), was factory new looking, smelling. Like $10k
I cry about not buying it now.
But not as much as when I sold a '69 Dodge Charger for $800. STUPID!

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

thanks for the kind words scott. Its true. I forgot about the material that HTS called TriDirComp untill I read that.. I know that it is nearly industructable. And the stuff was not cheap back in the day.. Def not in the pep boys realm..:)
A lot of the guys back in the 80's used HTS in their cars.. All the Local hobby shops had that stuff in stock.
I would consider it as more of higher end mods back then... My car was a crowd builder even back then.... And after I made the B mains it really got peoples attention:) I rember tho during weigh in I was embarrassed cause it was so darn heavy!.. lol
I remember another story when we used to run it on ashalt and a friend of mine had a nitro powered Kyosho off road car.. With my Checkpoint motor it was not even close. I could walk away from him at will.. He then went out and bought a larger racing engine(I cannot remeber the name of it as it was 20 years ago, but it had a mean sounding name.).. after break in he wanted to go again. I STILL beat him. he was so mad..
I ll never forget his face as his engine was screaming and my almost silent car slowly pulled away :)
Woobie wrote:Cool looking conversion. I think that is the first one I have actually seen, with the Red Prince rear end and the RC10 front end.

I like the Losi steering cranks, but if you wanted even more red, watch for the Hot Trick ones, even though they would obviously pale in quality to the ones already on there. You could also put on a set of the HT front arms.

I dont really know how they compared to the stuff back in the day, but to say that their quality is bad, is a little ridiculous, imho. The fiberglass pieces I have, are all flawless, period. The aluminum parts are just as good. Hot Trick marketed their fiberglass stuff as something called TriDirComp, which basically was their secret recipe, that supposedly eliminated radio glitching that was common in cars that did have fiberglass chassis'. Many of the chassis plates were made in either in ultra light or heavy duty, and the heavy duty versions are hard to cut, let alone break. I would honestly be surprised if anybody ever broke a heavy duty chassis plate, short of running it over with a semi, or jumping it off the side of a mountain. The ultra light was practically paper thin, and still suprisingly strong. Tons of flex, but again, hardly inferior quality- it weighed practically nothing.

Sure, I understand that racers probably did not use this stuff, although the author of this thread contradicts that statement.

And how about things like the wheel adaptors- they made about a dozen different sets of adaptors so you could have virtually any combination you wanted. Or, how about the aluminum, one piece front shock mount for the Grasshopper? Those were great ideas, and sure, maybe they did steal them from CRP, but then again, I do not know if CRP made theirs first or not.

Just my biased point of view of course.

Scott

beardxxxd
Approved Member

Post by beardxxxd »

note to self::

when taking pics of the car.. try not use a ATTENDS(adult diapers) box as a background
RC10 Team

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

I know!! LOL I noticed that after I snapped em. Too funny!!! Don't worry they were from my wifes grandparents in their 90's lol
beardxxxd wrote:note to self::

when taking pics of the car.. try not use a ATTENDS(adult diapers) box as a background

Woobie
Approved Member

Post by Woobie »

Great stuff FlyinGN......I was never a racer, so I love to hear stories from those who did.
Just to give an idea of what this stuff sold for retail, here are some prices for the actual complete kit, which would be all of the Hot Trick parts needed to make the conversion, you simply stripped the running gear from whatever car you were using:

Hot Shot Kit: $140.00
Fox Kit: $145.00
Optima Ram: $138.00
Yokomo Dogfighter (834b): $130.00
RC10: $190.00
Ultima: $160.00
Red Prince: $84.00

If I can get around to it, I will scan this page, and post it in the archives.

To me, a large part of the appeal of this stuff, is BECAUSE it was American made parts. Produced back in the day when set ups were not completely conquered yet, and there was lots of trial and error, trying to get that winning edge. It seems nowadays, everything is prebuilt, set up the same, blah blah blah.

Scott

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

thanks. Thats was a lot of $$ 20 years ago too. Ill bet that I have $500 worth of parts into mine in 1985 dollars.

Id love to see that old HTS info if ya can...

Im serious thinkin of puttin mine on ebay cause I don't waan break it racing it. Tho it breaks my heart to..

yea.. today its all RTR. Back then it was unheard of. Ya had to build everything. I used to spend hours tweeking mine. Taking abut th etrans and filing and tweeking till the gearbox was fluid in action. As well as suspension.. I used to work o it all night after a race completly taking it apart....

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

FlyinGN wrote:Im serious thinkin of puttin mine on ebay cause I don't waan break it racing it. Tho it breaks my heart to..
ya don't need to sell it. just put it up on the shelf. :wink:

i'd have a hard time letting it go, especially since you've had it so long. but, that's just how i am.

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

believe me.. I am the same way.. If I was not, the thing would have been long gone.. It sat unused for almost 20 years.... We moved and everything. I would have just got rid of it..
scr8p wrote:
FlyinGN wrote:Im serious thinkin of puttin mine on ebay cause I don't waan break it racing it. Tho it breaks my heart to..
ya don't need to sell it. just put it up on the shelf. :wink:

i'd have a hard time letting it go, especially since you've had it so long. but, that's just how i am.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Woobie wrote: Hot Shot Kit: $140.00
Fox Kit: $145.00
Optima Ram: $138.00
Yokomo Dogfighter (834b): $130.00
RC10: $190.00
Ultima: $160.00
Red Prince: $84.00
Scott
Do you have an optima ram, or pics ??? discovered the others here, and would love to see that last one in their selection some day too.
And I absolutely love the mix of that froggy box with asso nose!

FlyinGN
Approved Member

Post by FlyinGN »

I took it completly apart last night guys. Down to the cleaning the diff balls in the Thorp diff. Man its butter smooth again.. Removed and cleaned and oiled every bearing too. Gonna reattach the servo, reciever, speed control. Next is to take apart the whole front end and detail that too. I even polished the aluminum side plates on the trans :) Pics will follow..

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Erik, I have an Optima Ram that needs a resto (chassis is perfect though).... I will try to post some pics soon.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Hot Trick

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Gotta love this Hot trick stuff :D

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

beardxxxd wrote:note to self::

Holy LOL!

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Almost forgot, nice rig! Don't sell it, you'll regret it.

Send me some diapers, I may have had an accident. Thanks beardxxxd.