RC10 Graphite Team car Oval style 91'

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Graphite Team car Oval style 91'

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Thanks Sho- I felt very luck indeed to find one new! I had forgotten about the little pieces of fabric that stick out the cut side of the carbon 8)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

you NY guys seemed to do things the same way as us PA guys. cut down rear tower, .71's on the back, but we ran foams pretty much everywhere.

we also made sure there was a nut on the top of the left front shock so that it wouldn't come off during a race. :P :P :wink: :mrgreen:

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

OHHHH Snap :shock: :lol: :lol:
Ryan

rcracr20
Approved Member

Post by rcracr20 »

I used to race with "charlie" in the early 90s and the early 2000s.

In the early 90's, like mentioned previously, we ran pretty much box stock RC10s, usually just upgrading the turnbuckles and using .71 shocks on all 4 corners. Other common upgrades included ball bearing steering (I personally used Losi aluminum bellcranks), Titanium Hinge Pins (RCPS or Technacraft), Raborn Universals or MIP CVDs, the RPM Rear Oval Body mount and front arms (and sometimes the 1.96 Oval Tranny conversion), and the Thorp 64p Internal Transmission gears. Ive got boxes of this type of stuff at home, Ill have to dig through it and take some pictures.

Foam tires didnt really click up here for several years. Typically, Proline Waffles and Tamiya Smoothee tires were used (after the CRP tires were discontinued), and the CRP Dynamites were so sought after that they would sell for $50 a pair.

There were a few guys who ran the R&D Terminator w/ 40* Nose plate, but they were well off the pace of a standard Graphite RC10 Team Car. The Kranzel's version of the Terminator caught on quickly after we figured out the setup in it (Late 90's, early 2000). Now, there are several variations of the Terminator by Hyperdrive/GFRP, JRC, Putnam and others.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

rcracr20 wrote:I used to race with "charlie" in the early 90s and the early 2000s.

In the early 90's, like mentioned previously, we ran pretty much box stock RC10s, usually just upgrading the turnbuckles and using .71 shocks on all 4 corners. Other common upgrades included ball bearing steering (I personally used Losi aluminum bellcranks), Titanium Hinge Pins (RCPS or Technacraft), Raborn Universals or MIP CVDs, the RPM Rear Oval Body mount and front arms (and sometimes the 1.96 Oval Tranny conversion), and the Thorp 64p Internal Transmission gears. Ive got boxes of this type of stuff at home, Ill have to dig through it and take some pictures.

Foam tires didnt really click up here for several years. Typically, Proline Waffles and Tamiya Smoothee tires were used (after the CRP tires were discontinued), and the CRP Dynamites were so sought after that they would sell for $50 a pair.

There were a few guys who ran the R&D Terminator w/ 40* Nose plate, but they were well off the pace of a standard Graphite RC10 Team Car. The Kranzel's version of the Terminator caught on quickly after we figured out the setup in it (Late 90's, early 2000). Now, there are several variations of the Terminator by Hyperdrive/GFRP, JRC, Putnam and others.
:lol: You can call me Reggie--everyone here knows me as that here anyway :lol: Now you know why I wanted some Dynamites from ya :wink: and I got your Text with the new cell #, but I was tied up with RJ texting me about my Birthday that wasn't yesterday

rcracr20
Approved Member

Post by rcracr20 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
rcracr20 wrote:I used to race with "charlie" in the early 90s and the early 2000s.

:lol: You can call me Reggie--everyone here knows me as that here anyway :lol: Now you know why I wanted some Dynamites from ya :wink:
You should see a couple of the things I just picked up recently. One of these days Ill get it cleaned up and get some pics on here!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

You are cleaning out what I missed when I was up the past 2 times :shock: --cool!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

rcracr20 wrote:There were a few guys who ran the R&D Terminator w/ 40* Nose plate, but they were well off the pace of a standard Graphite RC10 Team Car. The Kranzel's version of the Terminator caught on quickly after we figured out the setup in it (Late 90's, early 2000). Now, there are several variations of the Terminator by Hyperdrive/GFRP, JRC, Putnam and others.
the only guy i remember running the terminator around here in the early 90's was brian strausser (he was running a badger before that). everyone else either had a graphite rc10, or an rc10 with a raborn or composite craft lto chassis. there was the occasional trinty reflex-10 and tub chassised rc10........... but not often.

i stopped racing for a little while (95-98) after my son was born. when i came back, i picked up a used 40 degree 2.25 terminator at the same time everyone else was building 20 degree b3's.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Ha! I know Strausser- It's funny how both regions were so close geographiclly and into the same form of racing, yet one or two guys influenced the whole area's racing or car style. There is still
very much a NY crew/PA Posse rivalry- Of which the guys from NY always win :wink:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Charlie don't surf wrote: Of which the guys from NY always win :wink:
i wouldn't know.............. these days. :wink:

it wasn't until the late 90's/early 2000's that i remember hearing about local racers going up to new york to race. that was probably because alot of the ovals from the 80's/early to mid 90's started shutting down. up until that point, there was no real reason to leave PA. you could race at a different track damn near every night of the week, and didn't have to drive far to do it.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

They started comming up after we went to Kranzels and smoked the field, but they caught up quick, then passed us for a good while. But it is/was all in good fun--and that's why I built this, I just wanted to remind myself how much fun I did have with Dirt oval

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

so what body are you tossing on this bad boy? are you making one........ i'd guess?

rcracr20
Approved Member

Post by rcracr20 »

I think a Gary Jefferies body from 1993-1994 would look nice on that car....

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

I need to find these tires! I ran the waffles with Tamayia fronts. Thanks to this thread I might be able to find them.

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

Interesting. Typical RCCA coverage makes it look like the Custom Works cars made everything else obsolete around 1991...they didn't figure into the the scene at all? What was it about the terminators that didn't work, and what did you change? Why was the B2 so fast? Anyone ever run Cobra or Rayborn type cars?

I'm just wondering, as now no one would consider an offroad car to compete with a CW or Terminator based car, so this is pretty interesting.