Kyosho Fan

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

wyldbill wrote:what tires are on the zx? are they still made and do you have the part #'s for the front and rear? what size are they? sorry for all the questions but i have a car that would look killer with them.
Fronts are shumacher cat minispikes.
Don't know if they are still made, but they are really good.
I think the rear is the same, but don't have rears to compare.

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

i thought they were schumachers i just couldnt read it off the tire.

hkp
Approved Member

Post by hkp »

Correct. Tyres are Schumacher 2.2 minispikes in Yellow Compound. Pretty much the de-facto tyre in the UK.

Terry - Yes I found a shell!! :D :D (someone on here actually contacted me with one NIP.. how could I resist?) I'll still need spares if the repro thing ever happens though (and I know a few folks on the RCZone Lazer thread would kill for some too). Fits the ZXR nice huh? A bit tricky to trim around the gear cover, but I'll happily supply a template if anyone needs one.

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

are you from the uk because we cant get thoes here. schumacher will only sell certian tires here and mostly blue compound. my local track gets schumachers regularly florida and the only yellows they will let us get is stagger rib front buggy tires, we cant even get truck tires in yellow.

hkp
Approved Member

Post by hkp »

I am in the UK :)

Shame you can't get these tyres through Schumacher. Most UK hobby stores will sell you some online I'm sure.

Have you tried Schumacher's webstore? http://www.racing-cars.com

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

yes i have tried their website both us and uk. the us site shows yellows but it says they are out of stock when you call them up they say they are discontinued. the uk site has them so i ordered directly from their site and they sent me back an email saying that they also discontued. a few weeks later i was on their forum and saw that uk shops had the same tires in stock , i guess they dont want any yellows in the us. i did get some off ebay one time and the guy bought them here in the us and refused to give me his contact. it is really getting frustrating because yellows are the only tire that hooks up on a polished concrete floor and very few places in the us race on them. my understanding is that polished concrete and wood floors are what these tires were designed for and every body in the uk uses them. so we are forced to run yellow stagger rib buggy fronts on all four corners. yes i said front and rear try finding slim 2.1 rear rims. losi xx front wheels is what we use or the rear and i think our track just about every set and street weapon hex adapters made. the mini pin blue truck tires work on trucks but they lack some grip. no other tire manufactuer makes a tire like this trust me some guys have bought boxes of tires ran them a few times and tossed them. nothing else works and we cant put anything on the floor because we run at an indoor archery range and rent the space. sorry for the long post but i just needed to vent.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

wyldbill wrote:yes ... no other tire manufactuer makes a tire like this trust me some guys have bought boxes of tires ran them a few times and tossed them. nothing else works and we cant put anything on the floor because we run at an indoor archery range and rent the space. sorry for the long post but i just needed to vent.
I shortened in the quote :lol:

Would you consider running toring car wheels and tires?
I used to drive in our underground parking lot in Shanghai; same type of surface.
The tires I used were from a nano-dragon (cheap chinese clone of the mini inferno).
They are very soft and the thread is excellent.
You can't use their wheels: the hex is too small, but I think you can order the tires only also from their site (sorry forgot the address). They will fit any 2.0 touring car wheel.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

just stumbled on this thread,,, I acctually just bought a couple things off the bay this morning for my kyosho restoration, a slingshot that I bought years and years ago from tower. I always thought that was a pretty neat car for the 99 bucks it cost me new. I bought a NIP chassis, but I still need an upper chassis plate (mine has the forward tabs broken off), if I can't find one in the next fews months I'll probably get a sheet of carbon graphite and cut out my own. Another neat feature about the car I just realized when I dug it out of mothballs is that the original drive hexes are 12mm so I'm thinking I can use some standard TC wheels, I was thinking maybe some of the nascar series wheels from HPI. And Wind Tunnel Bodies has some of the original Dahm's molds so I can still get a period wedge body for it!!! I'll post pics once I get rolling on it.

ford.

hkp
Approved Member

Post by hkp »

wyldbill wrote: sorry for the long post but i just needed to vent.
Vent away dude!! :lol: :lol:

I'm sure that some UK model shops will post you guys a big box 'o tyres to the US..

Try Modelsport.co.uk dcracing.co.uk or maybe microtechracing.com

Those guys all have the tyres in stock :)

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

PBR Allstar wrote: I bought a NIP chassis, but I still need an upper chassis plate (mine has the forward tabs broken off), if I can't find one in the next fews months I'll probably get a sheet of carbon graphite and cut out my own.
ford.
These top decks are still available from Kyosho Europe. When Kyosho set up their own distribution company they bought back all the old spares from all the European distributors, which meant they now have loads of old parts which never used to be advertised. They also had plenty of very rare Turbo Scorpion and Optima parts, but a small number of 'vintage collectors' have been stockpiling them (one supposed collector has bought the remaining 47 optima chain guards!) so some bits are once again hard to get hold of.

You can order them from Time Tunnel Models in the UK. http://www.tamiyaparts.co.uk/tamiyaparts/tpx/kyosho.htm
You need part number
K.OR3 UPPER DECK PLATE LUMINA £11.40
they also still sell the body for it
K.OR24 BODY SHELL - LUMINA £10.20

You will need to read this page first before ordering as these are all special order parts.
http://www.tamiyaparts.co.uk/tamiyaparts/tpx/kyoshononuk.htm

Those windtunnel bodies sold by Murdock R/C are old Bolink shells, Dahms bodies were bought out by Vansinvent. Another alternative is Customworks, who still make a full range of oval bodies.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Wow, Terry.sc Thank you!!! That place is quite the wealth of part numbers! I wish I still had the instruction manual to the car! I did find a set of drive hexes which I also snagged the Part # for.

thanks,
ford

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Okay!!! I ordered a few parts for my slingshot resto thanks to Terry.sc's recomendation. bunch of spare hardware and e-clips, my chassis plate, servo saver, spare drive hubs, proper chrome wheels and tires (these alone go for about 25 bucks a pair on ebay for tires or wheels, I got a full set of tires and wheels for about 45 bucks!!) Anyway, this resto is going to be awesome!! I also found the original body which was a custom works open comp camaro body (not a devastator), which is still availible I believe. I'll post pics when my parts show.

Scoobster

Re: Kyosho Fan

Post by Scoobster »

Tom you need to get back on the lazer Ladder my friend you know you need a nice Team Carbon chassis ZX-R :lol:

hkp
Approved Member

Post by hkp »

i know.. I've been clouded by Losis recently. Plus I keep selling you my lovely Lazers! :mrgreen:

P.s. Welcome to Scoobster - This guy has some FANTASTIC cars!

Scoobster

Post by Scoobster »

Thanks mate yeah you and your Losi's :( you need to get shot of some of your modern junk like your 501X and get some awesome old school stuff :D

I think my Lazer collection is about as complete as i can get it without selling the wife and kids (hmm thinks for a while) let's just hope the new Lazer Kyosho are working on goes back to belts like the older ones had.