I knew something was wrong

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Re: I knew something was wrong

Post by DumbstixLars »

mikea96 wrote:I would say that old battery is killing ya :lol: :lol:
Yeah its not doing me any favors. :lol: I ordered a pair of lipos this morning. Hopefully I get them before the weekend rolls around.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I'm suprised those SCEs work at all!! :D

Is your charger suitable for charging LiPos? Without the correct charger the LiPos type cells are likely to overcharge & combust!! :shock:

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

DerbyDan wrote:I'm suprised those SCEs work at all!! :D

Is your charger suitable for charging LiPos? Without the correct charger the LiPos type cells are likely to overcharge & combust!! :shock:
Well I normally use a Tekin BC210, but I picked up a Thunder AC6 a week or so ago so i could have more flexibility.

m2fit4u2
Approved Member

Post by m2fit4u2 »

You should be able to double that speed with a good Lipo and proper gearing.

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

m2fit4u2 wrote:You should be able to double that speed with a good Lipo and proper gearing.
I agree, you will be amazed by the performance gain with a good battery.
Those vintage brushed motors will definitely "wake-up" behind the increased voltage of a good battery - LiPo's are cool! :D
-dldiaz

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

DumbstixLars wrote:Well I normally use a Tekin BC210, but I picked up a Thunder AC6 a week or so ago so i could have more flexibility.
Ah cool - I believe that AC6 has the same software/interface as the Bantam BC6 so should be good for your new LiPo batts.... don't use the Tekin on them though.

Some of the latest 45/50C LiPos are very impressive.... but I still don't think you can match the punch of a freshly peaked set of well matched 2000mah NiCads. I have an early pack of Trakpower 3600 & to be honest it wasn't any improvement over the 4200 east power NiMhs I was running before. Where the Lipo batteries seem to score is in their consistancy throughout the race.... none of this going 'soft' towards the mid/end of the race.

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

DerbyDan wrote:
DumbstixLars wrote:Well I normally use a Tekin BC210, but I picked up a Thunder AC6 a week or so ago so i could have more flexibility.
Ah cool - I believe that AC6 has the same software/interface as the Bantam BC6 so should be good for your new LiPo batts.... don't use the Tekin on them though.

Some of the latest 45/50C LiPos are very impressive.... but I still don't think you can match the punch of a freshly peaked set of well matched 2000mah NiCads. I have an early pack of Trakpower 3600 & to be honest it wasn't any improvement over the 4200 east power NiMhs I was running before. Where the Lipo batteries seem to score is in their consistancy throughout the race.... none of this going 'soft' towards the mid/end of the race.
Yeah I won't be using it for that, not interested in having a fire. My best pack is a 13 year old Integy 2000Mah 6 cell that I built back in my racing days. I always took good care of it cause it was my best/most expensive battery. Low and behold it still runs as hard as it did the day I bought it. I was running those sports packs and having fun. Then I put that Integy in it and the car went nuts. That's mostly what convinced me to order some lipos. They are only 20c packs, but they were cheap, in stock, and I'll have them by the end of the week.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

DerbyDan wrote: Some of the latest 45/50C LiPos are very impressive.... but I still don't think you can match the punch of a freshly peaked set of well matched 2000mah NiCads. I have an early pack of Trakpower 3600 & to be honest it wasn't any improvement over the 4200 east power NiMhs I was running before. Where the Lipo batteries seem to score is in their consistancy throughout the race.... none of this going 'soft' towards the mid/end of the race.

the real hi-level top-of-the-line lipos deliver amazing punch, even better than the last-gen nimh. And they keep most of it throughout the race ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

DumbstixLars wrote:Cause of how I had to mount the ESC I couldn't run the body and have the GPS setup. Man it is unstable, I think it is faster then this, but it gets hard to control above about 15MPH, and my radio runs out of range too fast. I took a nasty tumble on the road, this thing traction rolls as soon as it gets a little crooked, luckily I didn't break anything. This is with the same gearing as the 11T D2.

There are several things that are worrying me in your story
1- you're still running battered SCE's and asking why you're not getting the perf you want
2- you have radio interference short-range
3- the wear on your rear tires (bald AND asymetric) is making me nervous'

I think there's a pattern here - you need to give more regular TLC to your car. Yes they're toy cars, but heavy and fast ones, and dangerous to some point. You can hurt yourself or someone else in the street with your buggy if you aren't sure what you're doing.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you read and understand FULLY the instructions for your charger before you even plug a lipo on it...

Paul

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

Lonestar wrote: There are several things that are worrying me in your story
1- you're still running battered SCE's and asking why you're not getting the perf you want
2- you have radio interference short-range
3- the wear on your rear tires (bald AND asymetric) is making me nervous'

I think there's a pattern here - you need to give more regular TLC to your car. Yes they're toy cars, but heavy and fast ones, and dangerous to some point. You can hurt yourself or someone else in the street with your buggy if you aren't sure what you're doing.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you read and understand FULLY the instructions for your charger before you even plug a lipo on it...

Paul
1- The same batteries that ran awesome in my XXT with a slower motor (yeah I know about current draw requirements, etc)
2- The batteries in my Transmitter were low and the 15 year old AM receiver is being held together with silicone.
3- I bought the car used and they were already worn pretty hard, I just kept making right hand turns over and over again on the asphalt in front of my house.

Your talking to a guy that pulls his transmission after bashing in the yard for two to three battery cycles for inspection. I read about Lipos for a month before I even ordered one, and I've already read the manual on my new charger twice, and I will read the Lipo section again once I get them. 8)

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

m2fit4u2 wrote:You should be able to double that speed with a good Lipo and proper gearing.
The car was trying to pull wheelies with my Integy pack, I can only imagine what fresh cells with less weight are going to do. :shock:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

DumbstixLars wrote: 2- The batteries in my Transmitter were low and the 15 year old AM receiver is being held together with silicone.

you just proved my point exactly.

Paul

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

Lonestar wrote:
DumbstixLars wrote: 2- The batteries in my Transmitter were low and the 15 year old AM receiver is being held together with silicone.

you just proved my point exactly.

Paul
lol Well since the transmitter only has a red led and green led for power indication I'm not exactly super informed of battery condition (yes they were both lit). I've never had trouble with this RX before, in fact it only acts funny when I go down the road in one direction and not the other, which is kinda strange. I appreciate the concern, if I blow myself up I'll let you know.

m2fit4u2
Approved Member

Post by m2fit4u2 »

A good Lipo and brushless setup gives you more power than you can use.

This spring just for the heck of it I put street tires on my XXX4 geared it with a 25 tooth pinion, Mamba Sidewinder ESC and 4600kv motor and it did 51 MPH.

Then the new Mamba Max Pro came in the mail, hooked it up to my 7.5 novak (using sensor mode) and I gained another 10 MPH.

This was using my Garmin GPS.

This is all with a cheap venom 4000mah 3s Lipo I bought for $40 off Ebay.

I also have the expensive $120 2s SMC and $100 Reedy 2c 30c 5000mah packs and I do not notice much of a difference between them and the lower cost $30 2s packs.

For racing I have to dial the power down on all my cars, unlike when I was using brushed/NIMH setups.

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

m2fit4u2 wrote:A good Lipo and brushless setup gives you more power than you can use.

This spring just for the heck of it I put street tires on my XXX4 geared it with a 25 tooth pinion, Mamba Sidewinder ESC and 4600kv motor and it did 51 MPH.

Then the new Mamba Max Pro came in the mail, hooked it up to my 7.5 novak (using sensor mode) and I gained another 10 MPH.

This was using my Garmin GPS.

This is all with a cheap venom 4000mah 3s Lipo I bought for $40 off Ebay.

I also have the expensive $120 2s SMC and $100 Reedy 2c 30c 5000mah packs and I do not notice much of a difference between them and the lower cost $30 2s packs.

For racing I have to dial the power down on all my cars, unlike when I was using brushed/NIMH setups.
Yeah I'm curious to see the difference, I've heard nothing but stories like this during my investigation of Lipos, hopefully I won't tear up the transmission in my car, I'll take it easy though. I originally was thinking about buying one of those ridiculous 9000kv motors until I came to my senses and got the 4600kv. :lol: