I knew something was wrong

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

I knew something was wrong

Post by DumbstixLars »

I knew something was wrong with my XX's setup.

This is with a 11 turn D2 motor in my XX:

This is an unknown stock motor in my XXT:

I suspect the ESC is the problem since I bought it used a long time ago, and cause the car was just as slow with a D2 14 turn I have. I'll swap one of them into the truck at some point and see how it runs. I have a brushless setup on the way for the XX so it'll all be moot here pretty soon.

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: I knew something was wrong

Post by Lowgear »

Back around 10 years ago I built a Midnight Pumpkin for the sole purpose to see how fast I could get one to go. I bought that same GPS to measure the speed. I ended up hitting 30mph. :lol: The downside was the thing was pretty uncontrollable and the build cost in the area of $500. :shock: :?

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

Lowgear wrote:Back around 10 years ago I built a Midnight Pumpkin for the sole purpose to see how fast I could get one to go. I bought that same GPS to measure the speed. I ended up hitting 30mph. :lol: The downside was the thing was pretty uncontrollable and the build cost in the area of $500. :shock: :?

LOL What possessed you to choose a Midnight Pumpkin? I put that D2 in my XXT and man did it slow down a bunch. These are the first mod motors I ever had and they are both slower then the Yokomo stocker I had in my truck. Course I got them used off the bay a long time ago, the comms look good, wonder what is wrong with them?

dldiaz

Post by dldiaz »

Have you given the motors a good cleaning? You don't have to completely dis-assemble, just remove the springs, pull the brushes out of the hoods, and spray a liberal amount of motor cleaner all over the commutator and endbell - you will want to keep flushing with spray until the run-off is clean.

Make sure the brushes are a decent size (i.e. not too worn), and that the springs are still fairly strong - there's not a whole lot else to do to a brushed motor, short of complete dis-assembly, comm cut, new brushes/springs, and perhaps a "zap" to the magnets in the canister...

Good Luck! Those D2's should scream, I have several!
-dldiaz

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

Once you have cleaned it check the timing.Start at around 1-2 degrees.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Sounds like to much comm shimming to me or bad capacitors.Don

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

The brushes on the 11T don't even look broken in yet. When I got it the timing was -30 degrees so the motor ran backwards. I turned it to +27 degrees. I take it that is too much?

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

DumbstixLars wrote:
Lowgear wrote:Back around 10 years ago I built a Midnight Pumpkin for the sole purpose to see how fast I could get one to go. I bought that same GPS to measure the speed. I ended up hitting 30mph. :lol: The downside was the thing was pretty uncontrollable and the build cost in the area of $500. :shock: :?

LOL What possessed you to choose a Midnight Pumpkin? I put that D2 in my XXT and man did it slow down a bunch. These are the first mod motors I ever had and they are both slower then the Yokomo stocker I had in my truck. Course I got them used off the bay a long time ago, the comms look good, wonder what is wrong with them?
I've just always been obsessed with the Midnight Pumpkin and Lunch Box for various reasons. Back when Novak came out with their first brushless system I thought how awesome it would be if placed in either a MP or LB. :lol: So thats what I did but I went about it the wrong way. If I had known how uncontrollable it was going to be I wouldn't have bought every single thing brand new because it spent the majority of its time flipping and doing cartwheels. Thats why it cost so much. I also ran it without a body to help keep the center of gravity low. There were no stock lexan bodies for them like there is now.

I have some pictures of it saved on an external hard drive I'll have to find and post one of these days.

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

Lowgear wrote:
DumbstixLars wrote:

I've just always been obsessed with the Midnight Pumpkin and Lunch Box for various reasons. Back when Novak came out with their first brushless system I thought how awesome it would be if placed in either a MP or LB. :lol: So thats what I did but I went about it the wrong way. If I had known how uncontrollable it was going to be I wouldn't have bought every single thing brand new because it spent the majority of its time flipping and doing cartwheels. Thats why it cost so much. I also ran it without a body to help keep the center of gravity low. There were no stock lexan bodies for them like there is now.

I have some pictures of it saved on an external hard drive I'll have to find and post one of these days.
Ha ha, that's awesome. A guy I know on another board actually just did the same exact thing with a repop sand scorcher, and he ended up with the same result. :lol:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Have both these measurements been made with the same battery?

Can either be motor maintenance as pointed out below, or motor breakage (thrown wind or shorted winds).

If I may add - 11T motors are waaaaaaaay too much HP and maintenance for bashers. I'd say anything below 15T is grossly inadapted to bashing, despite what most people think. Yes, 11T motors are fun, but most of the time they're only fun 1 or 2 packs (that's when geared properly...) before they need to be lathed and/or get new brushes.

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

Lonestar wrote:Have both these measurements been made with the same battery?

Can either be motor maintenance as pointed out below, or motor breakage (thrown wind or shorted winds).

If I may add - 11T motors are waaaaaaaay too much HP and maintenance for bashers. I'd say anything below 15T is grossly inadapted to bashing, despite what most people think. Yes, 11T motors are fun, but most of the time they're only fun 1 or 2 packs (that's when geared properly...) before they need to be lathed and/or get new brushes.

Paul
I'm assuming motor maintenance is the problem at this point. My BL setup is going to get here on Friday so after I install it I'll rip them apart and see what I can see.

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

Cause of how I had to mount the ESC I couldn't run the body and have the GPS setup. Man it is unstable, I think it is faster then this, but it gets hard to control above about 15MPH, and my radio runs out of range too fast. I took a nasty tumble on the road, this thing traction rolls as soon as it gets a little crooked, luckily I didn't break anything. This is with the same gearing as the 11T D2.

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

Is that an old Sanyo NICAD pack I see in there :shock: ?

DumbstixLars
Approved Member

Post by DumbstixLars »

vintage racer wrote:Is that an old Sanyo NICAD pack I see in there :shock: ?
Ya, I haven't made the jump to Lipos yet.

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

I would say that old battery is killing ya :lol: :lol: