How to do window tinting?

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: How to do window tinting?

Post by Coelacanth »

This is an update to using Pactra Window Tint and VHT Nightshades.

Pactra Window Tint should be named Window Pips. It's absolutely awful. The following is quoted from what I just wrote in my Project CYANide thread, I didn't want to paraphrase myself. The Pactra Window Tint, even though I used it under ideal suggested conditions--warming the can in hot water, spraying it on in a mini paint-booth with exhaust fan on top at room temperature--the paint mysteriously aggregated in spots and pips on the painted surface. Dust you say? Read on...
"I figured this would be the shiznit for tinted windows, but my God, what a disaster! They ought to call this product Pactra Window Pips!!

The first attempt, it looked good immediately after I sprayed it on...but 10 minutes later, there were spots and pips all over the windows. I immediately attributed that to dust motes that ended up on the wet paint--even though I'm doing this in my mini paint-booth with exhaust ventilation, and saw no pip-behavior with any of the previous coats of Pactra Lexan paints. I wiped it off and tried again, making sure to change the filter and wipe away any particles inside the plastic tub. Immediately after painting, I flipped the body over so the wet side would be protected. 30 minutes later, the same thing happened! I used some Pactra thinner to remove the window tint. This last time, since I figured it HAD to be dust causing the spots & pips, I stuck the damn body inside a brand new large, clear plastic bag, stuck my hand in there and taped the bloody bag around my wrist before painting it inside the sealed bag. No possibility of dust!

After 10 minutes, FFS, PIPS??!! WTF....it didn't make sense!

I had a can of VHT Nightshades plastic automotive tint (i.e. for headlight/taillight lenses) and sprayed that on a piece of test Lexan, and after 10 minutes, there were no pips, even without the extra precautions I took with the Pactra Window Tint. The conclusion? It's the Pactra paint itself somehow accumulating in dots and pips, this was *not* caused by dust at all!! Unfortunately, the Nightshades paint said it had acetone on the can...not a good thing. I tested it on a used Lexan body I received in an Optima parts lot and the Nightshades definitely attacked the paint, right through to the Lexan. No way I was gonna try that out on this 'Cuda body!

Needless to say, I was very unimpressed with Pactra Window Tint. I wouldn't recommend it. The so-called final touches of your paint-job could end up a catastrophe if you use this sh!t.

I cleaned it off a fourth time with Pactra thinner, quickly following that up with hot water on a paper towel, drying it, and cleaning the bare Lexan windows off with isopropyl alcohol before ultimately painting the side & rear windows with plain ol' Outlaw Black paint. I left the front windshield clear."
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3