Runner Yokomo Build

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Re: Runner Yokomo Build

Post by slapshot1979 »

Well alot has changed since my last post, I was unfamilliar with hump packs but have since found 2s hump hardcase lipos which are now on order. Which changed my mind on the chassis layout and Fellow local RCèr (RC10eh) hooked me up with a sheet of G20 which i have fabricated up a new chassis shock, towers, top plate, etc.
Slowly getting together the parts I have and quickly discovering the parts that I dont have. I will shortly be posting a want add. hopefully I can find the stuff.
Definatly 1 of the hardest cars I have ever researched.

Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Well I am missing a few parts and have hit a snag, I believed I had all the parts to convert over to 3mm coarse belts but upon removing the layshaft some of the parts dont fit. I was wondering if you guys could have a look and LMK what I am missing. I think the main shaft is the wrong one.Image

I have the correct belts, diff pulleys, but the 3 main spur gears with one ways wont fit the shaft. Will this combonation even work??
maybe a dumb question but if I install a 1 way main spur that would eliminate brakes no??
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

wow that looks seriously wrong :lol:

The spring and bolt are for a slipper unit and are supposed to go the right side of your picture. the backplate of the slipper grips on the crosspin through the axle and an E-clips goes all the way on the left. a'sring clip' holds the left bearing in place. But: your robinson spur with one way unit doesn't use a slipper.
The one-way unit on the left is good for use with the slipper and shaft, but overkill when you use the robinson one-way already.

man, this is difficutl to explain?
I think yoiu can find plenty links to manuals and pics of other cars here, but this is the first time I see anyone using the robinson unit... wondering if it needs a robinson shaft ?

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

This makes sense, I looked a few different manuals 91-93 and showed some of the parts I have, but I was missing parts from both setups.
Im thinking the shaft is the holdup here??

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Yes, that or you can sell the robinson stuff and go for the slipper... honestly: probably a good idea for a runner

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

slapshot1979 wrote:
I have the correct belts, diff pulleys, but the 3 main spur gears with one ways wont fit the shaft. Will this combonation even work??
maybe a dumb question but if I install a 1 way main spur that would eliminate brakes no??
You have the wrong diff pulleys, however you may have aligned the chassis for these to fit but can't tell. You have 33t YZ10 95 pulleys while you should have 35t (i think) pulleys for the 870c, works 91-93, you can see one in the image below. **There is nothing wrong with your layshaft setup except that the larger bearing should have the lip on the outside.

The spring and nylon pulley in the middle are a torque limiter not a slipper clutch. Hope this helps :)

**EDIT - the layshaft bearing IS in the right place. You may have the wrong layshaft (YR4?) or the Robinson gear requires a washer to go inbetween. Other than that it looks fine to me.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.01 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.01 KiB) Viewed 1119 times

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Wow , seems I have a huge colaboration of parts of which none go together!!
LOL. not sure where to go from here. I wanted to run the corse pitch belt because I had heard they are less problems but as I find out more, all I seem to have are the belts, and the robinson spur which wont work with what I have for a layshaft. hmmm.

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

slapshot1979 wrote:Wow , seems I have a huge colaboration of parts of which none go together!!
LOL. not sure where to go from here. I wanted to run the corse pitch belt because I had heard they are less problems but as I find out more, all I seem to have are the belts, and the robinson spur which wont work with what I have for a layshaft. hmmm.
You sure do, but there is nothing wrong with the spur gear adaptor as long as the belts sits tight. Only problem is the gap, which you could plug with a washer - BUT the big issue there is the belt may tend to drift to the gap and fall off or get jammed which will not be good! I would just flip that large bearing on the layshaft to take up the gap. Let me know if the bearing flip works, if not I can get some pictures of the correct layshaft for a works 91 and 93 if you like, if yours is incorrect then all you have to do is get the right one. That way you don't have to mess about with new pulleys and belts.

RE the diff pulleys, as long as they set in the bulkheads fine with the outdrives and the belts are tight then you should be OK.

Thats the thing with the YZ10 / 870cs, all the parts look very similar so it's a bit of a minefield when it comes to gathering parts.

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

Post by victor_cathedral »

lol all this post tells me is,... that i shouldn't attempt to resurrect one of these cars lol ! i have enough headaches with my simple rc10's :P goodluck to you though, these cars are awesome, just too much of a handful for me right now :lol:

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

victor_cathedral wrote:lol all this post tells me is,... that i shouldn't attempt to resurrect one of these cars lol ! i have enough headaches with my simple rc10's :P goodluck to you though, these cars are awesome, just too much of a handful for me right now :lol:
:lol: Yeah, I've managed to confuse myself, where's Vin?

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

victor_cathedral wrote:lol all this post tells me is,... that i shouldn't attempt to resurrect one of these cars lol ! i have enough headaches with my simple rc10's :P goodluck to you though, these cars are awesome, just too much of a handful for me right now :lol:

Finding this a very challenging build, luckily ppl are willing to share info because there is little out on the web that doesnt lead you right back to RC10talk....lol.

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

The shaft looks correct, sometimes the one way unit needs a firm push to get it to locate correctly. A Yr-4 shaft I believe never came with a torque limiter as with the works and earlier. The shaft was like the laterYZ 10 shaft (fiber glass shocks). The pulley you have is, I believe for the TCS shaft with a one way bearing.

The pulleys will not fit the out drives of a works car as the diff rings are very much smaller then the works cars are, as have been correctly stated, are for the later YZ 10.

I have some used spare pulleys in good condition and the correct centre pulley for the shaft to convert to 3mm pitch you can have if you make a small donation to the forum.
:shock:

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

PM sent

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Thanks everyone Ive learned and gotten farther today with your help on here and PM's than I have in the last 3 weeks.
This build is getting fun again.

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

Post by victor_cathedral »

good, im glad ! keep it up :D