Jamin's Losi XXT-CR Graphite+ MK1 Motor Plate!

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: MMV Truck Challenger: Jamin's Losi XXT-CR Graphite++ Bui

Post by Charlie don't surf »

That's a nice job on the plate! kinda surprised to hear you say how close it matches the Trinity colors as they are a really dark and rich blue-and a killer score on the trinity decals!! BTW a shop fairly local to me has plenty of the earlier xx/xxt trinity parts-

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Charlie don't surf wrote:That's a nice job on the plate! kinda surprised to hear you say how close it matches the Trinity colors as they are a really dark and rich blue-and a killer score on the trinity decals!! BTW a shop fairly local to me has plenty of the earlier xx/xxt trinity parts-
You have PM! I am always on the hunt for Trinity parts, blue or purple!

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

how is it comming?? no updates since Aug?
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Afraid not Rick, its been all quiet on the RC build front recently, been too busy with family life and house decorating to find any real time to sit down and build, I have barely bought anything of ebay either!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am hoping to get some time soon, once the decorating is done of course!

I am in 2 minds whether to do this build first or another XXT replica :wink: , but we'll see.

jamin
Approved Member

Re: Jamin's Losi XXT-CR Graphite++ Build

Post by jamin »

This arrived today from the states, never realised they made this item for the Losi XXT - does anyone know if they made one for the front too, and maybe even for the XX? That would go with my front brace nicely! 8)
photo-8.JPG
photo-8.JPG (56 KiB) Viewed 932 times
photo-8.JPG
photo-8.JPG (56 KiB) Viewed 932 times

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Wow, I actually sat down tonight and started this build!! I've decided that I am going to spray the body shell first (as thats the boring bit) and then on to the more exciting build!

I took all the chassis parts and mocked it up so I could ensure the holes lined up and cut the shell out. The lexan seems very thin at the rear so I had to be very careful not to tear it. Here's some progress pics, not exciting, but progress none the less... :roll:
DSC_2447.jpg
DSC_2540.jpg
DSC_2537.jpg
DSC_2531.jpg
I am keeping my usual paint scheme, same as my XX build and my current runner, my XXXT-CR, as shown by my enthusiastic assistant :D
IMG_1811.JPG

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Nice pic! 8)

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

This arrived today from the states, never realised they made this item for the Losi XXT
Glad it made it - small world 8)

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

RC10resto wrote:
This arrived today from the states, never realised they made this item for the Losi XXT
Glad it made it - small world 8)
Ha, no way?! It is...

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Your son is one cool dude! - great picture with the XXX 8)

Progress looks good so far.... I know what you mean regarding the shell thickness, when cutting out shells I normally use a sharp blade to score the shell, then fold/tear the shell along the score line to break off the un-wanted material... but with my XXT shell one pass with the blade was all it needed to cut straight through!! :shock:

Those Graphite parts assembled together reminds me of my first experience trying to build my first XX.... I was less experienced & struggled with the kit supplied little allen keys trying to tighten up the screws in the tough 'Stiffizel' plastic - I ended up with numb fingers/thumbs & rounded off screw heads :? The best tool I was given for my XX, was a 40/40 tap - a hard tool to come across in the UK, it was given to me by a guy that worked for Ilmor race engines (& father of a fellow racer) - I still use it all the time to tap out the holes in the tougher plastics that are used in Losi & Associated cars :wink:

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DerbyDan wrote:The best tool I was given for my XX, was a 40/40 tap - a hard tool to come across in the UK, it was given to me by a guy that worked for Ilmor race engines (& father of a fellow racer) - I still use it all the time to tap out the holes in the tougher plastics that are used in Losi & Associated cars :wink:
He does love his cars, not sure where he gets it from :lol:

The tapping screw that comes in the kit is quite handy too - I used it on this build! I too have a 4-40 tap that my Dad got from his work for the same reason! He also knew a guy that worked for Ilmor building the Mercedes Penske engines I believe - what was the guys name, can you remember? I'll ask my Dad next time I see him.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

jamin wrote:
DerbyDan wrote:The best tool I was given for my XX, was a 40/40 tap - a hard tool to come across in the UK, it was given to me by a guy that worked for Ilmor race engines (& father of a fellow racer) - I still use it all the time to tap out the holes in the tougher plastics that are used in Losi & Associated cars :wink:
He does love his cars, not sure where he gets it from :lol:

The tapping screw that comes in the kit is quite handy too - I used it on this build! I too have a 4-40 tap that my Dad got from his work for the same reason! He also knew a guy that worked for Ilmor building the Mercedes Penske engines I believe - what was the guys name, can you remember? I'll ask my Dad next time I see him.

I'm not sure if that 'tapping' screw came with the earlier XX kits, but certainly came supplied with my later Losi kits, Street Weapon & XXX.... ?

The guy who gave me my tap was Dave Measor, his son Ian raced at regional level & Junior Nationals, would have been mid 90's so Penske/Mclaren era, I think he still works there. Unfortunately I witnessed the demise of Paul Morgan (the 'mor' in Ilmor), he had a small collection of WW2 warbirds based at Sywell airport, I was there when his Sea Fury flipped onto it's back on landing :-(

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DerbyDan wrote:
I'm not sure if that 'tapping' screw came with the earlier XX kits, but certainly came supplied with my later Losi kits, Street Weapon & XXX.... ?

The guy who gave me my tap was Dave Measor, his son Ian raced at regional level & Junior Nationals, would have been mid 90's so Penske/Mclaren era, I think he still works there. Unfortunately I witnessed the demise of Paul Morgan (the 'mor' in Ilmor), he had a small collection of WW2 warbirds based at Sywell airport, I was there when his Sea Fury flipped onto it's back on landing :-(
I could of sworn there was one in my XXT kit...not really worth worrying about though.

Oh, thats not nice at all. I'll speak with my Dad, probably won't be the same guy though as I am sure we would of known him better if his son raced too.

jamin
Approved Member

Re: Jamin's Losi XXT-CR Graphite++ Build - Painting complete

Post by jamin »

I spent this week masking and spraying my XXT shell for this build, finishing it off today.

Once cut out and washed, I offered up the supplied paint masks to find that they were not even close to the lines on the shell! But in any case I wanted to put a frame round the windows, and so wanted to mask them a little larger so they won't look too small with the frames.

I made my own by tracing the lines and then cutting out the mask a little larger, nice and simple, and it worked!
DSC_2720.jpg
Next I masked the tears that I always use on my shells, really easy to do and effective, the end result looking like my shell in the background.
DSC_2725.jpg
With the main paint laid down, I started on masking the frames, in the same was as before, but going slightly smaller.
DSC_2728.jpg
At this point I used Pactra blue pearl which looked really nice in the jar, and similar to the Trinity blue that I was trying to match the frames to. Once I put the blue on, I decided on backing it with white, which I think was a mistake. I wanted to keep the blue bright, but by doing so it lost some of its 'metallic' look. The blue looks brighter in the pics, but still not enough. I wish I had of left it without the frames :|
DSC_2737.jpg
Overall I am gutted as I think I've ruined it. I also put the stickers on before I did the frames, and I don't have any more of the large Trinity ones. I thought I had this nailed mid-week with the stickers etc, it looked awesome, but I thought the frames with the same Trinity blue would be a neat touch...

Not the best start to my build, I may do another shell now as I am not a happy bunny :cry:

bearrickster
Approved Member

Re: Jamin's Losi XXT-CR Graphite++ Build - Painting complete

Post by bearrickster »

well send it to me I think it looks great and will look great on my XXT :lol:
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714