Hydrogen peroxide bath

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

David.K

Re: Hydrogen peroxide bath

Post by David.K »

WOW!!! Amazing. Now I want to leave work early and tear my recently purchased RC10 tub down to do this same thing. That is fantastic.

dragnse7en

Post by dragnse7en »

Okay - I'm back.

Yep, RedScampi is right. I read the label on the bottle, and after reading halfway through it, I just decided to buy it.

I couldn't find anything like you'd typically see on an isopropyl rubbing alcohol bottle; just the active ingredient percentage. I bought this at the Stop and Shop store; it's the only brand that they carry.

See pics below:

dragnse7en

Post by dragnse7en »

David.K wrote:WOW!!! Amazing. Now I want to leave work early and tear my recently purchased RC10 tub down to do this same thing. That is fantastic.

Thank you :) I'm sure that you'll be able to get faster results than I did, by using real sunlight.

Remember to rotate and flip the parts over once every few hours during the soak, and tap away the bubbles that accumulate all over the parts. You don't want "tan lines" now! :)

Thanks again; I'm very happy with the results.

oca1
Approved Member

Post by oca1 »

Thank you for the info. A while ago, I read in another forum that a guys used 30-40% hydrogen peroxide. I have no idea where to buy that kind of hp?

dragnse7en

Post by dragnse7en »

oca1 wrote:Thank you for the info. A while ago, I read in another forum that a guys used 30-40% hydrogen peroxide. I have no idea where to buy that kind of hp?
I didn't see that thread. But then again I also found out today that hp and iso alcohol are graded different. It seems from my results, over time, that any hp will work :)

Good luck and flip the parts over and be patient, is all I've got to say about that!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

oca1 wrote:Thank you for the info. A while ago, I read in another forum that a guys used 30-40% hydrogen peroxide. I have no idea where to buy that kind of hp?
a hair dresser/beauty shop would carry that kind of percentage. Also there was a thread here awhile back that had a peroxide paste that was used on computers and bigger things like that. I'm not sure of the percentage on that stuff since its been awhile ago and my memory isn't what it used to be :oops:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

dragnse7en

Post by dragnse7en »

Yeah, but the stuff I was using bleached the hell out of my own fingers and dried them up.

I cannot imagine what those higher grade concentration hp products would do to my furniture, clothes, etc, if I got them.

Not knocking you - that would be the way to do it. I'm just a happy old guy who likes the old skool way of things; do it slow, do it right, and if they call out for one drop of oil, then use ten (just kidding on the oil part).

My grandpa uses that "oil and grease" law to the extreme. He rebuilt a clothes dryer, and packed the crap out of the rear main bearing flange with around 5 lbs. of industrial lithium grease. My cousin rents an apartment upstairs, and uses said dryer. Needless to say, he was not happy to smell fresh baked grease on his clean clothes.

Getting back to the subject -

Yeah, I think those high-end hair styling products would be way above my head for the safety of me and my surrounding neighbors. I'll stick with the supermarket stuff - it dries up the skin enough without latex gloves as it is :)

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

that supermarket stuff works just fine. On another forum there was a person to use the heavy duty stuff and stated he thought it made tiny little hairline cracks all thru the parts. Thats just hearsay though so don't take that to the bank and try and cash it. Try what you want and if it works drop a line of how well.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

dragnse7en

Post by dragnse7en »

klavy69 wrote:that supermarket stuff works just fine. On another forum there was a person to use the heavy duty stuff and stated he thought it made tiny little hairline cracks all thru the parts. Thats just hearsay though so don't take that to the bank and try and cash it. Try what you want and if it works drop a line of how well.
Todd

Thanks Todd.

The abuse on the nylon parts were without decay or anything otherwise, except whitening. Yeah - those hair high-end products sound like they'd be wicked harsh on plastic, never mind frying my hair white blonde and frissing it :)

+1 one - thanks

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

To anyone that does this please don't bleach the hell out of the parts so they're stark white. Not only is it incorrect, it looks bad in my opinion. Plus the jurys still out on how it effects the plastic to go that extreme.

The parts in your first picture came out pretty nice. :)

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Lowgear wrote:Plus the jurys still out on how it effects the plastic to go that extreme.
PLEASE keep any hydrogen peroxide solution higher than 3% away from nylon. Although hydrogen peroxide is actually used in the synthesis of nylons (including the nylon 6/6 used by Associated), exposure of nylon to high concentrations will oxidize and break the polymer chains. This leads to weakening and cracking of the nylon.

I've cited this on here somewhere before, but here's some proof that 3% should be okay: http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept28151/files/338868.html

Per table 3, there was a slight reduction in the tensile strength, but it was not statistically significant.

dragnse7en

Post by dragnse7en »

Wow - thanks a huge bunch!

What happened to the stark white parts, and was this 1st hand, or did you hear this from others?

Good warning to others hoss :) - otherwise - good call.

D Nozzle

Post by D Nozzle »

That part looks stark white to me. I have never seen Associated parts that white.

dragnse7en

Post by dragnse7en »

Yah mon - the other parts from my cadillac era rc10 have that exact same tone color. I couldn't believe it myself, but after three full days in the bath, I guess I got lucky. My build is starting to make the restored car that I bought look like a nancy car :) Seriously tho!!! No offense to the seller, if he ever sees this!

dragnse7en

Post by dragnse7en »

D Nozzle wrote:That part looks stark white to me. I have never seen Associated parts that white.
Trust me, it ain't photochopped or anything like that. That's from my lousy 8MP smartphone camera, and not off a dig cam :(