Fastest RC10?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slim_chance
Approved Member

Re: Fastest RC10?

Post by slim_chance »

Back in 98 I had my graphite clocked at 68.3 mph on a large concrete oval track on the back stretch. I was running a home built twin 4 cell matched packs so 8 cells total with a 9 turn triple motor. That was the first timed lap after a warm up lap on a speed trial next lap my esc, spur gear, and left wheel bearing called it quits. It was set up as a wide body road car with an 80's camaro body. I don't remember the size of the pinion but that car had crappy acceleration so I actually needed the warm up lap to get up to speed. How my 6 gear survived I have no clue.
Super phenominal cosmic plans! itty bitty bank account.

Procrastinators unite!......tomorrow.
My new Fb page by bashers for bashers. Rc bashers unite! http://www.facebook.com/RcBashersUnite

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

I think a lot of why people have stability problems with speed run cars when they just plop in a MM motor/esc, and a monster battery is they neglect 2 things 1) airflow and 2) tires I don't think there are any rubber tires out there (except caps) that are not going to have terrible balance and distortion issues when trying to attain high speed stability.

As far as airflow goes gotta keep the car from wanting to lift, this means speeding up the airflow under the car, hence mentioning a nose on the car connected to an undertray to really clean up airflow around the kickup. Another thing that's huge, springs shocks, and weight balance of the car, it's going to need a lot of spring to deal with the aero forces of the car at that speed (balancing this to whatever rear wing you are, or are not running), TC style shocks and springs are a must I would think. Adding a couple OZ of weight up on the nose would be a good step as well I imagine

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

PBR Allstar wrote:I think a lot of why people have stability problems with speed run cars when they just plop in a MM motor/esc, and a monster battery is they neglect 2 things 1) airflow and 2) tires I don't think there are any rubber tires out there (except caps) that are not going to have terrible balance and distortion issues when trying to attain high speed stability.

As far as airflow goes gotta keep the car from wanting to lift, this means speeding up the airflow under the car, hence mentioning a nose on the car connected to an undertray to really clean up airflow around the kickup. Another thing that's huge, springs shocks, and weight balance of the car, it's going to need a lot of spring to deal with the aero forces of the car at that speed (balancing this to whatever rear wing you are, or are not running), TC style shocks and springs are a must I would think. Adding a couple OZ of weight up on the nose would be a good step as well I imagine
Oh sure, if you really want to think it thru! :roll: I just didn't want to watch Dancing With The Stars... :P :lol:

You need a huge area and plenty of radio range too. You may think you have a big enough area, but it gets real small real fast once you get over 55 or so. I can only imagine once you get close to 100. :shock:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

I'm good on radio gear, I'm sure my 2.4 M11 is up to the task. I have some spots in mind that I think would be okay for 50-75 mph testing. The place where they hold the ISC speed meets is litteraly 30 minutes away, and they have a guy testing a streamlined that wants to be the first guy to break 200! So I think that spot will be okay if I do try to run the ton with an rc10!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

PBR Allstar wrote:I'm good on radio gear, I'm sure my 2.4 M11 is up to the task. I have some spots in mind that I think would be okay for 50-75 mph testing. The place where they hold the ISC speed meets is litteraly 30 minutes away, and they have a guy testing a streamlined that wants to be the first guy to break 200! So I think that spot will be okay if I do try to run the ton with an rc10!
I have an M8 converted to 2.4. Here is the parking lot where I work after a fresh seal back in August or so. The finish was probably tacky enough to try a 10L with foams for the first few days after, but I just didn't get around to it. This is about half of the longest straight stretch. I was even going to see if maintenance would let me go on the roof of the tallest building on the campus here for a better view while driving. :lol: Maybe one of these days I'll get motovated again.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
PBR Allstar wrote:I think a lot of why people have stability problems with speed run cars when they just plop in a MM motor/esc, and a monster battery is they neglect 2 things 1) airflow and 2) tires I don't think there are any rubber tires out there (except caps) that are not going to have terrible balance and distortion issues when trying to attain high speed stability.

Oh sure, if you really want to think it thru! :roll: I just didn't want to watch Dancing With The Stars... :P :lol:

You need a huge area and plenty of radio range too. You may think you have a big enough area, but it gets real small real fast once you get over 55 or so. I can only imagine once you get close to 100. :shock:
I agree on the space requirements. My previous story took place in an empty parking lot of approximately 800ft, and it wasn't enough.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Timmahhh wrote:I agree on the space requirements. My previous story took place in an empty parking lot of approximately 800ft, and it wasn't enough.
The lot above goes into grass after another 200 feet or so. My plan would be to accelerate as long as possible and use the grass to slow down. There are some small air fields around here too that I would imagine have long landing strips, but I doubt our regional airport would let me use one of their runways. :mrgreen: :lol:
Ken

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

Well it is not a RC10 . But someone at associated likes speed and the engineering to go fast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xiki9v4n78E&feature=related