Project Circle Track

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Re: Project Circle Track

Post by Russ Winn »

I'm enjoying building again...I just hope I can still drive decently.

That video was in the winter time. It was about 40 degrees, and the track was like ice. The class was 7-cell Nicd, run-what-you-brung (outlaw night). That race was the A-main. The guy with the orange optima mid kept coming to the hobby shop talking trash (joking) about how I wouldn't race him. Everyone knew of him doing that, and it was high drama...great times back then.
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

The electronics are in. Now I just need to get everything set up, and mount new tires.

BTW, here's the backstory on the car:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=18755
Attachments
chassis2.JPG
chassis1.JPG

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Almost done.... Now I just need some track time to get it set up. The jury is still out on the body, but it'll do for now.
front body.JPG
rear body.JPG
Here's the paint job inspiration.
41willys57510-1.jpg

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Nice car...The body looks great...Are you gonna run a sway bar ?????
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Looks even better than I thought it would! 8) Great color choice and scheme.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it....I think that body would be better on a TC or pan car chassis, but I'm being overly critical of myself.

I've never been a fan of swaybars. Personally, I think they're useless on a dirt car. Besides, I run the front suspension really stiff, so there shouldn't be much chassis roll anyway. My driving skills aren't all that, so I tend to set a car up to push a lot. That way I can drive it harder into the turn. Any fine-tuning is done with the rear shocks and the radio. Maybe that's why I like dirt oval better than any other racing.

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Well, I got everything set up, charged my first battery, and strapped on some old foams to test on the street.....HOLY CRAP!!!! :shock:

That old 6-gear never had it so good. I can only imagine what a higher Kv motor would do...Time to go racin' :D

On a serious note: What recommendations does anyone have regarding Lipo charging? I started with a balance charge, since it was the first charge on the battery. How often is recommended, what rate (or formula used) for fast charging? And can you just put it on at fast charge to top off on a partial discharge? ...Thanks in advance.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Russ Winn wrote:Well, I got everything set up, charged my first battery, and strapped on some old foams to test on the street.....HOLY CRAP!!!! :shock:

That old 6-gear never had it so good. I can only imagine what a higher Kv motor would do...Time to go racin' :D

On a serious note: What recommendations does anyone have regarding Lipo charging? I started with a balance charge, since it was the first charge on the battery. How often is recommended, what rate (or formula used) for fast charging? And can you just put it on at fast charge to top off on a partial discharge? ...Thanks in advance.

Charge your LIPO packs at 1C... If you have a 3700mah pack then 1C=3.7amps... if it's a 4500mah pack the 1C=4.5amps. If you battery allows it you can charge at a higher rate I.E. 2C... 4500mah @ 2C = 9amps. Only charge higher than 1C if your battery is rated for it... if you don't know if it's rated for a charge rate of higher than 1C then don't do it. I hope this is making sense. It is perfectly safe to partial charge your LIPO batteries. DO NOT run them down like your old Nimh/NiCad packs!!!!!! Hopefully your speedo has a built in LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) For a 2s pack (7.4v pack) this should be between 3.0 - 3.3v per cell (6.0 -6.6v for the pack). Lipos are very safe and very reliable if you treat them right... please treat them right!

Balance charging isn't needed on every charge... but I recommend it. If your not going to balance every charge I would say do it every 3-5 charges.

Please feel free to ask any other questions... I've done my homework on LIPOs, and I don't mind sharing!

Jay

Jay

Post by Jay »

I hate to double post, but if you are using Gens Ace 5000mah 40C ROAR Approved packs they have a charge rate up to 5C (25amps) Personally I NEVER charge my packs higher than 2C (10amps for your battery). I have serveral of these packs, and if you treat them right they will last you a long time!

Jay

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Thanks a lot, Jay. I'm running Gens Ace 5000, 50C packs and my speedo does have the LVC. So far, I've understood the charge rate, but I was a bit lost on was balance vs. fast, and if you could top-off packs....Lipos are a whole new game to me. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks again.

-Russ

Jay

Post by Jay »

Yeah I always balance, and for the max charge rate I just went to HobbyPartz.com and looked it up, and the 5000Mah 50C packs are good up to 5C.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Russ Winn wrote:Thanks a lot, Jay. I'm running Gens Ace 5000, 50C packs and my speedo does have the LVC. So far, I've understood the charge rate, but I was a bit lost on was balance vs. fast, and if you could top-off packs....Lipos are a whole new game to me. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks again.

-Russ

I'm sorry Russ, are you still mixed up about the Fast/Balance charge options on your charger? NORMALLY those two options mean the following:

Fast: Your charger will allow you to charge the pack without the balance port/plug... plugged into the charger.

Balance: Your charger requires that your balance plug/port be plugged into the charger so it can monitor the individual cell voltage, and balance your pack as it charges. If you try to charge the pack with the balance option and the balance plug is not plugged in, you will receive and error message.

Sorry about not answering the right question the first time around! Happy racing!

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

No, you answered my questions the first time. Thanks again! ....I didn't realize I repeated myself from the initial question...must be getting old!

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Russ, looks good! Too good to run!!

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Thanks a lot...I'm going to the track tomorrow to try and get it dialed in.
You been working on your build lately?