speed run tires

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DMAT
Approved Member

Re: speed run tires

Post by DMAT »

lol, my bad on that, My funding for rc related stuff is low at moment until I get my refund in. so I'm trying an alternative for making the high speed. Also the 3/16 adapter is out of stock at moment so I'm waiting for it to reappear.

I'm actually attempting to belt tires now. Not using tape though. I've been trying to do it without needing to buy anything online. The belting guides online seem to favor kevlar threads for strength and inelasticity. So after finding that most of the thread used has a strengh of 75 lb, I went to bass pro. Grabbed a roll of 80 lb spider wire as their main selling point is no stretching but most braided types should be stretch resistant.

Next was finding a suitable adhesive. CA glue wasnt recommended as it cracks and the online people were using a type of rubber cement. for some reason elmer's must own the google results for rubber cement as thats all that ever came up. After looking up alternatives and finding myself on a unicycle forum, guess those guys really dont want a tire to pop on them lol, They seem to favor rubber cement sold in automotive stores so ill be going to them this afternoon.

I should say I might be looking for an alternative for associated black grease. When the rpm's start getting really high, it has a smell lol. just a note, im running a 3800kv motor on 3S with a 47/69 gearing
so im spinning the topshaft alone around 30k. With all metal gears, It doesnt sound like its running off a brushless motor anymore.

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

Other than crashing and breaking arms and stuff I haven't ran into any mechanical issues yet...I'm running a 8.5T 4000KV motor with a 3S but I'm only geared 81/30. I do have a 5.5T motor sitting on the shelf but I need to sort out the tire issues first...

The Panther slicks I got work well. They still grow but not nearly as much as standard pin style rear off road tires. Stupid weather here so I'll have to do more testing first before officially deciding if these will be the tires I use...The foam tires on the other car are awesome. I love foam it's what I'm used to so that's no surprise. That's all we used to run back in the day...

Still trying to stay with a 2.2" rubber tire for the speed run car but we'll see what happens...Also trying to stay away from modifying the inside of the tires as I don't want to add rotational weight...but if that's what it comes to then so be it...will be tuning in here to see how you make out...

Pics attached. Slick VS pin style rear - you can see how much they were growing and wearing...lol

Other pic is the new foams on vintage Mini Mags...(Orange car in background is actually the speed run car)

EDIT: Almost forgot the other option was some Pro-Line Dirt Hawgs with spider-wire in the grooves...
Attachments
PantherSlicks.jpg
MiniMagsWithFoam.jpg

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Here you go. These should make things easier. Look at either the dirt oval tires or the truck tires. They are both offered in 3/16" pin drive. The truck tires are taller so they would be better for a speed run.

http://tmrcracing.com/
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

Also, what's your setup? How are you avoiding wheelies??? :)

I've been playing with rear wing angle and stuff...definitely seems to help...With no wing it doesn't want to wheelie as much but at speed it's not nearly as stable...just need to fine tune I think.

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

fredswain wrote:Here you go. These should make things easier. Look at either the dirt oval tires or the truck tires. They are both offered in 3/16" pin drive. The truck tires are taller so they would be better for a speed run.

WOW check this out...they do custom sizing as well! THIS is what I need...AWESOME. I found some Tamiya foams that were close but expensive - (pictures above on Mini Mags). I had to cut the fronts to fit and the rears really had to be squeezed on. This is a super awesome option!!!! Thanks for posting.
http://tmrcracing.com/DONUTS-DONUTS.htm

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

since Im using foam, it didnt have the traction needed to pull the front end up. Since my dummy test with belting is on a pair of traxxas anacondas with some jc racing wheels, I might figure something out as those liked to traction roll over a lot.

I am looking at making a crude wheelie bar with a piece of 1/16" aluminum plate and traxxas wheels I have lying around. just gotta attach them together some how lol

on a side note, 47/69 barely fits the motor plate. At the same time, its sorta perfect, with my motor pushed all the way back, they just fit together with a proper mesh in the gears.

thanks for that link fred, those look to be a direct fit with a 3/16 axle. I just got 5 sets of wheel/tires I dont run so I'd like to make them useful before going for new wheels. err...5 sets that wont fit in the storage box with all my other wheels lol.

I honestly wouldnt know what to do with those donut donuts as my only power tool to work on rc related stuff is a dremel. hell, my only usable drill bit is 1/8. Outside of a few guys here making me some custom parts, most of my stuff is off the shelf with minimal modification as I dont have the precision to do major modifications.

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... I used some 100Lb fishing line with Kevlar.

102 RC vehicles and counting...

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

well my first attempt at belting failed

I decided to see how another tire held up to high rpm and when it expanded, everything went towards the outside of the tire. im not sure whats going on in the tire but only the outer edge wanted to expand and now all the rubber is shifted to the outside and holding there. I have no clue whats going on in it.

on a side note, one of my vintage sets of wheels actually held up at full throttle. much better than the one I attempted to belt or the other unbelted. Its jammin lol

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

How about some duct tape lining the inside of the tire. I have heard of people doing this and it keeps the tire from getting out of shape at high speed.

One full piece of tape all the way around the inside, use the foam and get a really good seal with the glue. Just an idea...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=duct+tape+inside+rc+tires&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=onLWVLOVCuzs8wfB34CgBg

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

The pro-line and panther tires I've got are sort of waffled inside so tape won't work.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

My jconcepts wheels are waffled too. I got 1 traxxas rear with a smooth inside left I can test with so I'll try out the tape. I think my friend should have some gorilla tape I can use. I'll get some from him next time im there.

HP freak, what did you use for the adhesive? I think thats all im really missing from what im doing.

There is this E9000 stuff I wanna try out too since it came up in my searches a few times too.

trying to pull appart my test tire to see what the wire did inside, Wanna see if it stretched or the glue didnt hold.

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... I have just always used the extra strength C/A glue. Never had any problems.
102 RC vehicles and counting...

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

The tape will stick and hold and will keep the tire from ballooning, try it and see.

Gorilla tape is an even better idea than your regular silver duct tape. That stuff is strong like bull!! :lol:

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

n20capri wrote:
fredswain wrote:Here you go. These should make things easier. Look at either the dirt oval tires or the truck tires. They are both offered in 3/16" pin drive. The truck tires are taller so they would be better for a speed run.

WOW check this out...they do custom sizing as well! THIS is what I need...AWESOME. I found some Tamiya foams that were close but expensive - (pictures above on Mini Mags). I had to cut the fronts to fit and the rears really had to be squeezed on. This is a super awesome option!!!! Thanks for posting.
http://tmrcracing.com/DONUTS-DONUTS.htm
I'll quote myself here and say I ordered a custom sized set. The Panther slicks are ok but still balloon too much. And as mentioned they are waffled on the inside so I can't tape. Can't wait to get the foam!

Also here is a launch with the foam on this car:

[youtube]ejV9-aJWjbc[/youtube]

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

No joke, I always thought it would be a good idea to adapt some rollerblade wheels to a speed run car. Well... good idea may be a bit strong. Fun or interesting may be a better adjective. :lol: You'd have to take off slow, but once you got rolling you could fly. 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken