My RC10GT to go brushless

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: My RC10GT to go brushless

Post by klavy69 »

I've seen and heard of those. Haven't seen alot of them but haven't heard anything bad about them either so maybe you should give it a go. Worse case scenario you can see how it works out and maybe install it on your sons truck if it just isn't what you thought it would be.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

rcgerber
Approved Member

Post by rcgerber »

ginnz wrote:Oh jeez.... ok, well you know what, I may just heed your advice. I dont know what brand I should be looking for. I just looked at the specs and the esc looked good. It's 120A, can handle 3S and has alot of programming features. The motor just looked like about the right KV rating that I am looking for. Back to Ebay, I guess.. Maybe HobbyCity.. ;-)

Thanks for the heads up.
Ginnz
Personally if I needed to save money and was going to go with a knockoff esc I would go with the Turnigy stuff at hobbyking.com. The setup I would go with is the 120a trackstar turbo esc http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22402__Turnigy_Trackstar_120A_Turbo_Sensored_Brushless_1_12th_1_10th_ESC.html and based on the kv you wanted either of these 10.5t turnigy motors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21956__Turnigy_TrackStar_10_5T_Sensored_Brushless_Motor_3730KV_ROAR_approved_.html or http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__80140__TrackStar_10_5T_Sensored_Brushless_Motor_V2.html.
Here is the programing card as well that would work with the esc. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22403__Turnigy_TrackStar_Turbo_and_Waterproof_ESC_Programming_Box.html

What I posted would price out about the same as what you were looking at, but it would be a sensored unit (ie smoother running).

ginnz

Post by ginnz »

yeah, i appreciate the time you put into your post! you know, i am pretty adamant on using my 3s packs, but I may just go with your advice for my Son's truck, and order him a bunch of 2s packs right away as well. It may be a better option for him, as he's a total beginner..... i think i'll build mine into a 3s monster, as its a bit heavier as well....

Im off to the city tomorrow, and will prolly hit the big hobby shop there. I may just pick up an ESC and motor combo for either of out trucks there, i dunno, ill see what they have, and what kind of prices they have there. i havnt been there for years, but the las t time I was there, the prices were stupid high... and it wasn't service with a smile, but service with a sneer.... :-(

ginnz

Post by ginnz »

Thanks again guys, and I have decided on the ESC for our conversions. Im getting the SkyRc toro SC120 for both mine and my sons trucks. Now, it just down to the motor.... I know ive got alot of advice on the motor types, but im kinda stuck on choosing.... its been advised that im prolly looking for a 3000-4000 kv rated motor, but ive found a good deal on the Tekin TT2509 Pro-4 1400KV motor. Its advertised for 1/10 short course trucks, so would it be a good motor for mine?? I mean, its a 1400kv? and I thought everyone says to run a 3500 or so KV, and then along comes this Tekin, which is supposed to be a good motor for 1/10 short course. Its under 100.00 so I thought he price was right....

thanks again, and im almost there!

Ginnz.

ginnz

Post by ginnz »

well guys, I ordered the ESC's and motors... I decided to buy 2 of everything, keeping my son's and mine the same. For the ESC's I got the SkyRC SC120's with the Skylink for PC programming and the Bluetooth module so they can be programmed on the fly with our ipod touch, and Iphone's.

for the motors, I bought two Neu castle creations 1410-3800kv 4-pole motors with 5mm shaft. I researched them and with the stock 66T spur and a 14T pinion they should RIP LIKE HELL!!! I bought a 3 pack of novak pinions, to experiment with. (13,14,15T)....

I also bougt new shocks right away. they look real good, and should be a sep up from the integy leakers i have in there now! I got 103mm rear and 93mm front. They are GMade XD Piggypack shocks. Supposed to be good.... heres a pic of them.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio »

You should've just stuck with the stock shocks, they're fantastic. Good luck with the piggybacks, I've always heard they're a joke, that's why you don't see many people using them. JMO

ginnz

Post by ginnz »

Yeah, the Integy piggybacks aint any good. These get excellent ratings though.

ginnz

Post by ginnz »

Well guys, my build is getting closer to completion. I got the ESC's and bluetooth programming adapter, and the PC link programming adapter as well. I also got the right pinions (this time) ;-) I got 13-14-15T pinions to play with. I see I need some 4mm bullet connectors, and a few odds and ends yet. I wanna get a new body for mine, the same style. I seen a black "Monster Energy" schemed one on flea-bay, but it was 45.00 ;-(

Ok, here are a few pics showing how it will be set up. I need to figure out how I am going to secure the battery's on the lower level. And I need to secure the ESC and receiver box to the upper level. Cut the motor wires and solder up the connectors. but all in all the layout is pretty good IMO. Let me know what ya'll think!?

more to follow shortly,
Ginnz!
Attachments
20151127_222309_800x450.jpg
20151127_222208_800x450.jpg
20151127_222321_800x450.jpg
20151127_222053_800x450.jpg

ginnz

Post by ginnz »

well guys, I can honestly say, my build is 99% done. I got the ESC in and all wired up. I managed to get it working with the WiFi programmer and my Galaxy Note3, so I can program the ESC right thereon the course! Very nice option! (One thing though, one of the ESC's arrived DOA! Im getting another one as a replacement for it, these things can happen!).

Now another thing. Everyone out there rants and raves over the Neu-Castle motors. And Everyone figured this setup would be hairy on 3S, but honestly, I dont think its all that! With one 3S 2200mah pack, i get about 2 minutes of runtime before the cut off sets it down to 30%, and I have to limp in! So im running 2-2200 mAh packs together for 4400mAh. Still not very good run time, and it could be alot faster IMO!!! Im running a 15T pinion for my first try, and will put my 14t on it and try that tonight yet...

with that said, can you guys recommend a truly fast/powerful motor I should try? I don't want to just keep buying motors as a shot in the dark.... I want an insanely powerfull motor on 3s..... hell, this ESC will do 4s, so maybe I should look for something that can handle 4s? I want uber power, but still be drive-able. My trucks weight is certainly a factor, as its all aluminum, and a bit heavier than the average 'GT.

Here are a couple more pics of the almost completed build! Hope ya like!

-EDIT- I have a 2075KV motor from my Genesis boat that I ran on 4S.... Im tempted to slap that thing in and see what itll do on that! ;-)

GiNNz!

---EDIT 2---

I just got back inside from trying the 14T pinion, and I believe it may be what im looking for! The acceleration out of the hole is very quick, but im not sure if there is enough top end. I think its better than the 15T, but ill find out when we get our track built and start racing! I also noticed I need to try and set up the geometry of the truck too, when i come out of a turn, and add the gas, it want to whip around too easily. I think i need to transfer more weight to the rear..... thats part of the fun, setting them up! So far so good..... But im going to order a Toro 4500kv motor I think and give that a try. Ill prolly get a couple different motors over the winter to get it set up just right!
Attachments
20151130_200845_800x450.jpg
20151130_200700_800x450.jpg
20151130_201037_800x450.jpg
20151130_201055_800x450.jpg

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Looks good. I like that cage on there.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

ginnz

Post by ginnz »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Looks good. I like that cage on there.
Thanks! Yeah, i like the cage too... As a matter of fact, my son really wants one for his build as well, and I cannot for the life of me remember where I got it from! I cant find anything "cagey" for him! Im also looking for another RPM "upper frame deck" as it sure worked well mounting the ESC/radio box up top on it, and the lipos on the bottom on the main frame "pan". I have to send one of the SC120A ESC's back for replacement, as it came DOA.... but the seller states they will fully refund my shipping back to Kong Hong and send me another working one. Its a minor set-back.

Ive been reading some reviews on the TORO sensored motors and they look like a really good deal, so I may just pick one of them up to try out as well.

ginnz.