Mid Motor Low CG Spec Carpet Monster

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Re: Mid Motor Low CG Spec Carpet Monster

Post by AscotConversion »

I have snapped Associated steel ball studs off in crashes, but the Dynotech Klein arms kept on truckin'...they are mostly indestructible

nicholasdivitto

Post by nicholasdivitto »

Got the b44 dogbone shafts installed. Rear end is looking really great, about 247mm wide.

The front Bandit arms push the width out to about 262mm. I think you guys have convinced me to buy some Klein arms.
My current vintage racing lineup: Associated RC10 B2, RC10 Team Car, Losi XXT, XX4, XFactory X5, Schumacher CAT 2000 www.moto-obscura.com

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

nicholasdivitto wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 pm
The front Bandit arms push the width out to about 262mm. I think you guys have convinced me to buy some Klein arms.
good to hear. you won't regret it and honestly...I'd let the experience on this board build me a buggy if I had the time and energy to put it all down on pc 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

nicholasdivitto

Klein arms are ordered. Once those come in I'll take an inventory of all the hinge pins I have, and what lengths I need. The ASC numbers that Niki lists are probably the closest available Associated parts, but I'm not completely happy with the length of hinge pin that sticks out beyond the side of the arms.

I'm currently piecing together turnbuckles, ball cups, and pivot balls. Everything will be standard 4-40 balls, except for the two inboard upper joints that mount to the B6.1 transaxle, which will need to have M3 threads.

Next step is shock towers. Front will be very similar to the RPM worlds shock tower, rear will be similar to the original worlds shock tower, but with necessary modifications to mount on top of the B6.1 transmission, and with mounting holes for B5 wing mounts.
My current vintage racing lineup: Associated RC10 B2, RC10 Team Car, Losi XXT, XX4, XFactory X5, Schumacher CAT 2000 www.moto-obscura.com

radioactivity

Post by radioactivity »

Your car is looking quite nice. I totally agree with the trans choice :D
If you would want to keep the same size ballstuds and ballcups throughout the build there are two options I am aware of.

1. "Schumacher Pro Ball Stud" They have 3mm thread and a 4.26mm ball. Fits the AE cups. Amain has them usually in a couple lengths.
2. Haven't tried them yet, but the ballstuds from AE touring cars are supposed to have 3mm studs and fit the AE cups. (according to AE tech)

Chuck
Hydrodip how to https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=42727
When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail :wink:

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

Dirt oval companies are your friend for old school size ball studs

https://www.customworksrc.com/product/hex-drive-ball-studs/

Joksa
Approved Member

Post by Joksa »

jwscab wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:43 am apologies if this is where you got the info and you know all about it already:
check this listing over, it appears its the same build list you have there.

this is from Niki's rpm style build, he does mention the wheel nuts fall outside of 250mm width
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40129&p=451764&hilit=rpm73282#p451764
I have also RPM nitro Rustler front arms and shorter inline axles (could be #6220, can't recall now).
It's a hair over 250mm, so not excatly "legal", but doesn't affect club racing.

I am currently doing a hex conversion and took a route to utilize traxxas bandit parts as those seem to narrow the front end few mm and that is even configurable with different hex adapters.
traxxas.png
(not sure if I need those teflon washer in this build).
C-blocks are a bit taller so it will affect camber gain, unless I move inner ball stud higher. Needs drilling front shock tower.
c-block.jpg
steering.jpg

nicholasdivitto

Joksa wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:59 am
jwscab wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:43 am apologies if this is where you got the info and you know all about it already:
check this listing over, it appears its the same build list you have there.

this is from Niki's rpm style build, he does mention the wheel nuts fall outside of 250mm width
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40129&p=451764&hilit=rpm73282#p451764
I have also RPM nitro Rustler front arms and shorter inline axles (could be #6220, can't recall now).
It's a hair over 250mm, so not excatly "legal", but doesn't affect club racing.
Good find

nicholasdivitto

radioactivity wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:37 pm Your car is looking quite nice. I totally agree with the trans choice :D
If you would want to keep the same size ballstuds and ballcups throughout the build there are two options I am aware of.

1. "Schumacher Pro Ball Stud" They have 3mm thread and a 4.26mm ball. Fits the AE cups. Amain has them usually in a couple lengths.
2. Haven't tried them yet, but the ballstuds from AE touring cars are supposed to have 3mm studs and fit the AE cups. (according to AE tech)

Chuck
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into those Schumacher ball studs. I believe Lundsford also makes 3mm threaded ball studs with 4.3mm balls.

radioactivity

Post by radioactivity »

Have you tried fitment with both the rear arm in place as well as the spur on the right side?
I initially thought it would clear when I used a B6.1 laydown in my B1, B4, B6 build. Unfortunately I had clearance issues.
I wound up using the LWB and a 72t spur. Could probably go up a couple teeth on the spur and still clear on mine.
I don't know if you saw my attempt to build a mid motor RC10.
My build shows some of my problems and solutions. https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44231

Chuck
Attachments
123.JPG
Hydrodip how to https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=42727
When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail :wink:

nicholasdivitto

radioactivity wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:25 am Have you tried fitment with both the rear arm in place as well as the spur on the right side?
I have not, I'll probably have some issues since the Bandit arms are a bit beefier around the hinge pin holes than the stock AE arms, I did move the arm mounting holes back a bit though on the chassis plate, so maybe I'll get lucky.

nicholasdivitto

Its been a while, but this build is finally starting to take shape.