My Ultima rere racer

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Delorean
Approved Member

Re: My Ultima rere racer

Post by Delorean »

Nige55 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:36 am
Delorean wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:18 pm nice one mate, i commented in the other thread about how to fit 2.2 inch wheels to an ultima, I have done a very similar thing as you, but i used Optima parts, which adds 5 degrees of caster which i found helped the buggy turn a lot better and widens the front end and i had to do the same as you and raise the inner camber link point on the shock tower. I race on outdoor dirt tracks and i didn't like the difficult access to electronics etc so i ended up fitting it all to an ultima ii chassis which adds 13mm in wheelbase as well which made the car more stable, but looking at the way yours goes on the tight carpet track, i wouldn't change it
Hi, do you have any pics or info on the optima parts you used on the front end? Really curious to see. The bandit arms are a great mod, but in the UK we need mods that were available during the same time period as the car, so Optima parts might be better in my case.
Amazing to see Ultimas going so well!
Yeah mate, i was in the same boat, it needed to be period, and since the optima parts were out before 1987, its all good. You'll need the hub carriers, knuckles, axels, bearings and 12mm hexes, i think im using 5mm or 6mm thick hexes. The easiest way to do it is to get the jazzrider parts because they come with the sleeves and screws to attach the knuckle to the carrier. There should be a tonne of optima axels hanging around as people upgrade to universals, or the Tamiya mini axels work, eg the ones that sit in the rear hubs on the fwd mini, they dont have the cup for the dogbone, you just need some 5mm shims to get it right. You'll need to move the inner camber link mount up on the shock tower by about 6mm (please do your own measuring) to keep the roll centre correct

Hope this helps

Cheers

Nige55
Approved Member

Re: My Ultima rere racer

Post by Nige55 »

Delorean wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:36 pm
Nige55 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:36 am
Delorean wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:18 pm nice one mate, i commented in the other thread about how to fit 2.2 inch wheels to an ultima, I have done a very similar thing as you, but i used Optima parts, which adds 5 degrees of caster which i found helped the buggy turn a lot better and widens the front end and i had to do the same as you and raise the inner camber link point on the shock tower. I race on outdoor dirt tracks and i didn't like the difficult access to electronics etc so i ended up fitting it all to an ultima ii chassis which adds 13mm in wheelbase as well which made the car more stable, but looking at the way yours goes on the tight carpet track, i wouldn't change it
Hi, do you have any pics or info on the optima parts you used on the front end? Really curious to see. The bandit arms are a great mod, but in the UK we need mods that were available during the same time period as the car, so Optima parts might be better in my case.
Amazing to see Ultimas going so well!
Yeah mate, i was in the same boat, it needed to be period, and since the optima parts were out before 1987, its all good. You'll need the hub carriers, knuckles, axels, bearings and 12mm hexes, i think im using 5mm or 6mm thick hexes. The easiest way to do it is to get the jazzrider parts because they come with the sleeves and screws to attach the knuckle to the carrier. There should be a tonne of optima axels hanging around as people upgrade to universals, or the Tamiya mini axels work, eg the ones that sit in the rear hubs on the fwd mini, they dont have the cup for the dogbone, you just need some 5mm shims to get it right. You'll need to move the inner camber link mount up on the shock tower by about 6mm (please do your own measuring) to keep the roll centre correct

Hope this helps

Cheers
Fantastic thank you!! That's an amazing help, and great info. I'll be trying that out! Thanks and much appreciated Buddy