lipo Question

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bearrickster
Approved Member

Re: lipo Question

Post by bearrickster »

My Orion 3200 fits in my LXT ok but I have it set up with the long wheel base and I removed the battery stop and put in a foam block in the back I found it worked better. even with my factory stick packs they were to tight so just 1 foam block moves it back just enough so its tight but fits. it wont fit in my Pro se it hits in the front. so that means it wont fit in any of the earlier one either unless you run a Protech battery strap. hope this helps
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Good to know, thanks.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Oops, I bragged on TrakPowers earlier, forgot they don't fit old school. My bad.

The Orion 3600 fits in the XX just fine. But its too long for the LXT, Pro SE, and all of the JR graphite jobs. At least without mods.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

In the LXT just remove the little block thats part of the long wheelbase kit and put in one foam block they fit fine. the others are two short.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Yeah, but I never liked the long wheelbase much. Obviously personal preference and track to some extent of course. From Mark's video (Thanks btw) it doesn't appear to me that track would be it, at least for me. I was tempted to grind a little on the inside ribs in the rear pocket, but it looks like I would hit the screws before making it fit.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I bought a LXT and this would only work with the moulded chassis cars like the LXT and Junior cars someone cut the battery holder into three peices and tossed the middle just used the side posts and top strap, cut out the front and let the chassis hold in the battery and it gives you another 1/4 to 1/2 inch it worked great I will look and see if I still have it and post a picture.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

scr8p wrote:
civilguy wrote:Keep in mind though that the mains are on Sunday, so really you're only looking at three qualifiers on Saturday. You can run the 3 quals and pick the best pack to use the next day.
the 3 qualifying rounds, and the mains are all on sunday. friday and saturday is practice.
Sorry- I was confused with another race this past weekend. Just ignore me.... :oops:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Is this a good Lipo starter kit??

I'm on the verge of possibly maybe, selling some stuff, and I'll be able to get started in lipo for the 10t, what do you think??

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTAV3&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTSA5&P=M

and either charger:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMAJ0&P=V

and would I need a that Novak Cut off thingy?? or would the cutoff in the battery be enough??

Thank you :D
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I use this charger and Love it. its simple to use and you can program in you batterys so you dont have to change it all of the time I run nicad ncmd and lipo you just set it once and just change to battery 1,2,3 or more and it keeps your settings **** 4 stars http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPYT8
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Both those are decent chargers-- just keep in mind they are DC so you need a power supply.
bearrickster's Checkpoint is nice too. No matter what you throw out there if you wait long enough someone will tell you 'go for it' and alternately someone else will post 'those are garbage'.
The Trinity Li-Pros have internal low voltage cutoff circuitry, so yes that is enough. It just protects the battery from discharging below the 6v threshold (preventing battery damage). If the lipos you buy don't have that you should run the external cutoffs.
If you get those batteries, then this balancer works great with the stock connector: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMRZ9&P=7
I can't remember if you can use the "charge thru" method on the Li-Pros.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Oh yeah, I have a power novak power supply for my LRP Pulsar charger.

The charge through method? on which lipos?? the trinitys??

I says that the Lipo pack has a balance plug? if that helps at all.
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Ok, glad you have a power supply and any of those chargers would be good choices.
I have those Trinity 4500s- you have to charge to the leads and not through the balance plug. That Astroflight balancer I posted above plugs nicely into the Trinity lead and can be used during charging and also after. You don't want to charge the Li-Pro series through the balancing plug.
Jeff

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

So what exactly does the Balancer do?? and please don't say that it balances the lipos, I need a little bit more detail :D

I sold what I needed to sell on ebay, so I just want to make an educated decision as to what I'm buying.

Trinity 4500 lipo
The Great Planes Charger
Astro Flight Blinky Balancer

Hey civil guy, what do you use to connect the Lipo to the ESC?? wire gauge and connector wise. Would any bullet style connector work??

Konich
Approved Member

Post by Konich »

You cannot go wrong with Maxamps and a Hyperion Charger (built in balancer, and best part no separate power supply!). I've been running them in both my B44 & B4 with no problems. Also Orion makes a good lipo pack too. Most people I know are using Dean's connectors or if you use an Orion you can use the bullet connectors.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

The balancer makes sure that neither of the cells is charging more than the other. If you overcharge a lipo cell it's much worse than an old nicad. It can also be used to discharge balance cells that have already been charged.
Bullet connectors (I forget what size but I think you can use Great Planes) with heavy gauge (12ga) wire is what I run on these with deans.

BTW do NOT cross the polarity on the lipos-- where nimhs and nicads can be forgiving if caught quickly, you will be throwing the lipo away if you cross the wires.
Jeff