2012 TAMIYA VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 15-18TH

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Brandon G
Approved Member

Re: 2012 TAMIYA VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 15-18TH

Post by Brandon G »

Yeah, anything lesser than a Clod would have a lot to worry about!

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

J.M. wrote:Am I correct in assuming this track was created just for this meeting?

Also seeing these early RC10 cars out on the track sporting the narrow arms and original diameter rims and tyres has give me a little inspiration to build one myself.
The track was planned to be built for regular club racing. Just so happened that everything got put in place just before the Vonats and it was the first race to be held there.

Ditto on the old school RC10's. It was so cool to see them in true vintage form making hot laps! I am working on a similar buggy for next years classic class!

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Mr. ED wrote:Without disrespect for the other builders and cars; is it possible to get some details about nr69 and nr5 (black yokomo in the back)?
That car was the brainchild of a very talented builder, Mike Valentine. Lots of trick stuff going on under the black body of that buggy!

Maybe Erich could get him to take a few shots of the car with the body off.

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Brandon G wrote:
J.M. wrote:Am I correct in assuming this track was created just for this meeting?

Also seeing these early RC10 cars out on the track sporting the narrow arms and original diameter rims and tyres has give me a little inspiration to build one myself.
...Ditto on the old school RC10's. It was so cool to see them in true vintage form making hot laps! I am working on a similar buggy for next years classic class!
There's a potential thread out there called "Short Arm and 6 Gear Setup and Race Discussion" that I've been tempted to start...
- Brian -

My Gallery

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

+3,4 whatever... The SHort armed 10's are a hit. I especially like the level attitude flying Halsey replica, whatever the bad flight shot was awesome too. I must say my favorite runner shot id of the Madcap looking racey and hustling around that left corner. Props to him for running as seems to me madcap arms and tranny stuff is tough to find...

Loving all the footage for those who cannot make the trip for the race. Thanks!!

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

That Halsley replica seriously looked the ducks nuts if you ask me. For me vintage racing has seen all kinds of great ideas implemented over the years but little is celebrated when folks opt to go all out and run a truly vintage racer. Sure it's easy to set up a sweet Team or Worlds car but cars like that Halsley ooze cred in my book.

Nice. :mrgreen:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

The classic RC-10s were fun to watch and brought back memories of when I raced mine. Might just have to dust off my original RC-10 and get it ready for next year :D . Would need to find a set of tires for it though.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

J.M. wrote:That Halsley replica seriously looked the ducks nuts if you ask me. For me vintage racing has seen all kinds of great ideas implemented over the years but little is celebrated when folks opt to go all out and run a truly vintage racer. Sure it's easy to set up a sweet Team or Worlds car but cars like that Halsley ooze cred in my book.

Couldn't agree more. It's why I only ran the buggy class the first year. 2.2 tires all the way around, threaded shocks, blue parts, etc, etc weren't all that appealing to me. That Halsey car was the coolest. It was really nice, I'm still surprised that he ran it, I'd be afraid to run it.

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
J.M. wrote:That Halsley replica seriously looked the ducks nuts if you ask me. For me vintage racing has seen all kinds of great ideas implemented over the years but little is celebrated when folks opt to go all out and run a truly vintage racer. Sure it's easy to set up a sweet Team or Worlds car but cars like that Halsley ooze cred in my book.

Couldn't agree more. It's why I only ran the buggy class the first year. 2.2 tires all the way around, threaded shocks, blue parts, etc, etc weren't all that appealing to me. That Halsey car was the coolest. It was really nice, I'm still surprised that he ran it, I'd be afraid to run it.

What is wrong with blue parts ? :wink:

My RC-10 is vintage, but I have to agree I am really pushing it.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the old-ish cars out there, but when everybody is pushing the limits of "vintage" to get an extra edge to win, it kind of loses some of the fun for me. It would be cool to have a true old school class. Aside from classics, cause let's face it, a 6 gear short arm RC10 shouldn't be in the same race as an SRB or a Hornet. I think there should be a true vintage class. Not criticizing or complaining, just thinking out loud. The race rules no matter how it's organized. Safe to say I'll be in Heavy Metal from here on out, that was the most fun I've had with r/c in years, maybe ever. 8)

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

the only modern parts on my jrx2 are 2.2 wheels and rubber and a lipo/bl system.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I definately hear what Mel is on about.

Over recent years personaly I have felt that r/c racing has lost a little bit of it's sole with the advent of soo much modern technology. I don't mean for this to sound like a bad thing because the positives that Lipo, Brushless, 2.4 radios and tyre tech bring with them is amazing but the face of what we used to do has evolved soo much I actualy find myself missing the way it used to be.

Crazy as this all sounds but I actualy used to enjoy what went on in the pits and how efficient and proficient you were actualy made a big difference when out on the track. Charging, discharging, cleaning motors and so on meant that you needed to be as good with what needed to be done between races as much as what happended out on the track. Being poorly prepared would lose you races.

Yeah I know what you are thinking, sounds pretty dumb right? Now days it's all about ultimate set up and fine tuning. It's all about the track time now. You can turn up with a few charged lipo's and run all day long with little to keep you busy when you weren't on the stand. I know it makes for a far less stressful day but you will have to agree that things have changed a whole lot since the 80s-90s.

Personaly I like driving around the problems. Adjusting my driving style to suit a wide variey of different vintage buggies is a real challenge and provides a learning curve that I actualy enjoy. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to enjoy your time out on these vintage days but I would at the very least think that people bring the cars that mean something to them. Not every car entered will be ultimately proficient out on the track but no one can take away that old time nostalgic feeling of driving cars from your youth.

There's nothing wrong with drivers hanessing more modern gear but seeing cars out there doing it in much the same way it used to be done is something to behold and value. This years vintage meeting has inspired me to keep on going with all the old gear and I look to enjoy all the crazy old tech for some time to come.

Thanks- Jason
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i run a 5link, and everyone always says "run the h-arms, it's so much better", but the 5link will always be my personal favorite because it was my first "real racer". sure i know the prose's and worlds cars and OINbuggies can kill it, thats ok with me. i just love the car. but i sure don't miss those nicads, brushes, lathes, motor dressers, etc...

maybe in my old age i value the chatting and comradery more now then i did then.i'd rather be hanging out with friends at the vintage meets then sweating over a hot iron, or huffing motor spray. :mrgreen:

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

but i sure don't miss those nicads, brushes, lathes, motor dressers, etc...

maybe in my old age i value the chatting and comradery more now then i did then.i'd rather be hanging out with friends at the vintage meets then sweating over a hot iron, or huffing motor spray.
I have to agree with you there. As I stated in my post there's no right or wrong way to do it but on this side of the pond I see all too often people unbolting parts from (for example) their B4 and bolting onto their RC10's plus modern day wheels and a full electrics transplant.

Still everyone will do it differently. Some prefer all the old gear while plenty others don't. It just comes down to what best suits the entrant and the choice of car/cars they intend to run.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

kaiser wrote:the only modern parts on my jrx2 are 2.2 wheels and rubber and a lipo/bl system.
:lol: Yep, and the only non-OEM parts on this guy's Beetle are a little extra motor and some jet fuel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJyAA0oPAwE (4:38 to see it go).

The track looks like it was very vintage-friendly. Nice to see a track that you could run period-correct wheels/tires on. I would have loved to take some hot laps with my Hotshot. It looks like it was a great time... thanks for the pics so far!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff