2012 TAMIYA VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 15-18TH

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Re: 2012 TAMIYA VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 15-18TH

Post by tecnica2001 »

I've participated in the first 4 VONATs, in both the 2wd buggy class and 2wd truck class, I was very competitive in all the races, right up there with Brandon G. and others, and we all had fun, we all had time to chat, exchange stories, reminisce about olden times, and see really good racing action.

I never stopped talking to everyone just to do a complete suspension job on my car, or refused to help my fellow racers when they needed parts or set up advise.

To say that all the modded cars take away from the "true" spirit of the Event, it's just plain wrong..... :roll:

Some run em stock, some run em modded, some don't run em at all, and we all had our share of fun..... :D

Let's worry about making the event bigger rather than to trying to change it to suit what we believe is right or wrong..... :wink:
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

To say that all the modded cars take away from the "true" spirit of the Event, it's just plain wrong.....
Sorry but those were not my words and nor my intent.

My comments were observations made at both vintage and modern racing events here on this side of the pond. I have never made any statement which says there is a right or wrong way to enjoy your time at any event but simply an observation I have come to notice.

I also have Brushless, Lipo, 2.4 and run modern tyres (just not on everything). Call me a sentimental old fool but I enjoy the way it used to be just a little more than the way things are today.

Nothing wrong with that either afterall this is primarily a vintage forum and not a modern day one :wink:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

So that means you're going to be back next year Freddy? 8)

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

I'm hoping to be, I would've liked to be there this year, but like I said before, I spent that VONATs weekend in the hospital.... :roll:

This is truly one of my favorite events in RC.. :D
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

J.M. wrote:Call me a sentimental old fool...
Can't believe it took this long..... you're a sentimental old fool, Jason.

Just remember, you can't have sentimental without mental... just like you can't have Twitter without Twit... :shock: :lol:

As you were.....

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

The beauty the vonats is that it allows you to do what you want. If you run a 6 gear rc10 with nicds, brushed motors that need rebuilding, and AM radios, there is a class for you to run in. If you want to be in a competitive class with the newer electronics packages, theres a class for you. This race is less about tailoring classes to each individual's preference and more about getting people together who have like interests and having some fun.

That's the reason I ran 2wd and classic in the past. Best of both worlds.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

tecnica2001 wrote:I'm hoping to be, I would've liked to be there this year, but like I said before, I spent that VONATs weekend in the hospital.... :roll:

This is truly one of my favorite events in RC.. :D
If you need a vehicle to run for next year, let me know Freddie. I can hook you up.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Let's hope that my situation changes, the guy that I sold all my RC stuff to is a good friend of mine, and he still has it all stored away, hopefully I'll be able to buy some of it back.... :D

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

This might be to pop this question, any ideas where it will be held next year?
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

erich, what issue of rcca will the vonats be in?

i gotta make sure i get it.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Hcp22 wrote:This might be to pop this question, any ideas where it will be held next year?
I have to try harder to get all the words with in the sentence that I try to wright so it makes any sense... :lol: :lol:

This might be too early to pop this question, any ideas where it will be held next year?
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Just realized there are a load of photos up on the facebook page for this now (the link in the Erich's first post of this thread). Real cool!
- Brian -

My Gallery

farmer
Approved Member

Post by farmer »

Still would like to see some video of the heats or
At least the mains
Has any been posted?
As for next years race I say give the west coast
A race
Farmer
my spelling not so good! but i can DRIVE the wheels off anything!

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

HCP I knew what you meant. You're a LITTLE early but not by much. I'm going to be getting the race together for next year by the holidays so that I can build on it and improve it for next year. For now I'd aim at it being Sept 13-15 or Sept 27-29. I always have it in Sept because its the nicest and most even keeled weather CT has all year and those two weekends I don't have my son.

Kaiser, I'm writing it up right now (well slacking on the internet instead of writing but still...) for the January issue. It will be the Fast Laps column that we normally do each month. For now there's also some posts on rccaraction.com as well as footage on the Radio Control Show, I believe it was in episode 178 or 179. You can find that on Air Age's YouTube channel or by searching Radio Control Show 178 (or 179).

Farmer, I believe I was the only one there shooting any video and between racing, running the race, keeping people happy and handing out door prizes and and and and and... well you get the point. The only video I could manage to shoot was what was used for the Radio Control Show spot.

I also lauched a website for the race this year and although I admittedly didn't put much time and attention into it so far, I WILL be posting all of my pictures as well as some others from you guys on the site. Eventually it will also have video from past years too. You can keep an eye on vintageoffroadnationals.com and ALSO join our facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/2012-Vintage-Offroad-Nationals/175929292449725?ref=ts&fref=ts

If you guys have pictures from the race also, feel free to post them on Facebook. The more the better if you ask me! Thanks guys for everything you've said about the race. It's really a labor of love for me but it takes a lot of time, stress and some blood as well to get it together and it really makes me happy to see you all enjoy it so much. THAT'S why I do it :)

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I'd just like to point out that I thought the track layout was very appropriate for the 2012 VONATS. Loose-ish surface with no huge jumps is properly "vintage." Well run overall...I only wish we had more vintage races throughout the year. There are a couple of tracks in the NY/CT area and it would be nice to have vintage events (or vintage classes at the trophy races) at each of them, because it sucks to only run these cars once or twice a year.

I have some old yokomos that I hope to have ready for the next VONATs race...should allow me to run the Avante in the classic class where it would drive less like a dog.