== Who the Heck Are You? ==

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

85Edinger
Approved Member

Re: == Who the Heck Are You? ==

Post by 85Edinger »

I'm Alex, and my RC10 is much older than me. I got into the hobby just over a year ago. I got a Rustler XL5 without having any idea what I was getting into. To make a long story short, the Rusty has been almost completely upgraded to VXL-spec, I discovered the RC10. I thought it was really cool, and now I'm restoring a late Edinger eBay find. It is my second hobby-class rc car.

I also enjoy cycling, hiking, and geocaching, I am a boy scout, and I want to restore a vintage car one day.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

dragon911

Post by dragon911 »

old, older, oldest lol. no 44 no pics because don't know how yet.
newbie here.
Graphic art's. motorcycle mech. and everything thing else gas powered.
Jack of all trades master of none.
love modin rc cars, and flying helicopter's. riding my harley seeing my body can't take moto-cross anymore.

have 2 son's in college. my oldest won moto-cross championship last season.
my younger one is just into computer's. personal tech. support lol.

Just want everyone to know Thank you for letting me in to rc10talk. what I read so far is a lot
I never new my rc10 is so wrong and I thought it was correct. I'll help any way I
can.

bbbs53

Post by bbbs53 »

Hello, my name is Bradd, my user name over at Tamiya club is subarubrattjunkie, member 1501. I have been in the RC scene since 2002 when I was hurt in an industrial accident that left me unable to walk for 2 years+. Before that I had built several 1:1 Subaru Brat's. After the fall, I bought a Brat roller/well used Tamiya as my first project and now I am mainly concerned with pre 1980 vehicles. I say that because I have cars, trucks, buggy's, tanks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, crawlers and several pure race vehicles. The first Associated I bought was from fellow board member Alex. He also recommended this board, I see many familiar names from other forums! I still have it, the RC-10, as well as the first Brat, and 1 or two others. I, much to my better half's chagrin, I have never parted with any of my cars etc. I am building a new crawler as we speak in a brushless configuration mainly because I get to use a new Land Crusher body in polyurethane. Lights, winch, the whole enchilada. It will probably get a Rothstein's livery in memory of one of the first people that inspired me to get in the hobby. Most of the "older" guy's at other forums have inspired me as well and I have work by several of them as well. Oh yeah, I still have my '82 Brat, 1:1!

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Hey, well, im Lee, and yup, im from the UK. Started racing at around 11 or so, and tried a fair few chassis' in that time, started out in widescale touring with Schumacher cars (Bosscat works, CAT 2000), till i decided to try things like the Yokomo, and Ttech's.
With the brutal onslaught (groan) of the scale 190mm tourer, i carried on racing for a good few years, first real 190mm was a Losi Street weapon, then moved on to some HPI, AE, and more Losi cars, but it all got a bit saturated over time, so i retired, and now just tinker with RC, currently building a 2011 Avante as it goes.
Nowadays, now im all grown up (not) i build models, StarWars filming replicas in fact, i work on my own projects, and also commision builds and paint ups.
Came across this board while pondering a YZ10 buy to go back in time a bit, very glad i did, so much to read, and so many useful contributions from its members.....so a thanks for that, and thanks for having me!

lee

bxlt
Approved Member

Post by bxlt »

Well here goes.

Name: Brian
Job: IT for a university bookstore

I got my start in this hobby back in 1986 when my parents bought me a Tamiya Bigwig (a bit complex kit for a 12 year old as it took me 2 weeks to build) which I still have, with box as well as my Lunch Box in 1987 Cadillac RC10 in 1988 RC10 Graphite in summer 1990 and Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid SE in 1991. Since then I have added about 15 more cars. I love picking up something and restoring it. I hardly drive any of my cars after one is restored I run a battery for it and then put it on the shelf because parts are too damn expensive to want to break anything!

Here is a pic of some of my collection. Thanks for a great website as I have already learned a lot...as my wife would say too much. Because of this site I have renewed my addiction to RC10's and have added 4 RC10's to my collection in the last 4 months and have at least 4 more that I want to add Worlds Car, Team Car, B2/B3 & DS all cars that came out after I got out of the hobby back in the early 1990's

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

I'm a 35 years old father of two, in terms of what I do for a job I am running a new start-up with a couple of ex-colleagues after spending the last 5 years as CTO of an online marketing company.

And I've never raced an RC car in my life!

Have had a Traxxas Bandit since 1997, and a Tamiya TL-01 since about 1999.

That is it! (Well, other than a mini-z) I was a fairly dedicated RCer taking my Bandit to practise sessions at a local off road track regularly till I eventually discovered the joys of owning a Camaro and took a fairly long break from driving the RC cars regularly. They would come out once in a while, and I would clean and maintain them when needed but that was it.

The interest never quite went away though, I would occasionally buy a magazine or check out sites like this one.

I guess my main interest now is the older cool stuff, I fondly remember picking up the latest Tamiya catalogue at local hobby shops and going though the pages and seeing not only the Tamiyas that were common in stores, but also the rarer models that never made it to local hobby shops.

One of the reasons I never ever raced in the past is because I saw how much faster the the fast buggies were in comparison to my Bandit... Crazy this is, that recently I decided that I will take the Bandit to a race once and for all at a local club :) 15 years too late... And no doubt even slower compared to the competition!

As for the TL-01, I like it, and it is tough as nails. I've not done much to it other than fitting oil shocks, and it still working perfectly! but it was never as much fun as the Bandit. I guess I just prefer buggies.

PS: Other than an RC10, the other buggy I always wish I had was a Mardave Cobra, a local store stocked them and they looked pretty funky and low tech... even back in the 90s they looked like the belonged in the 70s :)

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Pick up that Cobra if you get a chance, I think a stock form Cobra is gonna be a great collectible, dollar wise.

Welcome to the forum here guys, I suggest you both start a Clod build.

They are so much fun, just check some of the videos posted by all the great guys here.

Post pics and post em often, ask anything you want, there is no dumb question. Enjoy!!

Edit: It might make more sense if this was Clodtalk.com, My bad. :oops:

I had atleast 8 different tabs open last night, and the beer was flowing pretty freely. :lol:

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

Thanks for the warm welcome, and for the little tip on the Cobra.

And trust me, I have plenty of questions!

I didn't know people were still building up Clod Busters, I do recall the amazing builds I used to see in magazines years ago. It never seemed like there was much original Clod Buster left though :)

bbbs53

Post by bbbs53 »

Any of that series of Kyosho is very collectible. The Ford GT, MGB, Ferrari, Cobra etc were available in both electric, with the total POS Mantis chassis, or the more realistic nitro powered with the GS 11. The body work, although thin, is superb. I just picked up my second Cobra so I don't have to build my NIB. Kyosho has made some fantastic cars, most of them in the "old" days. You can still access the original first 3 pages of their website, that used to have every part number for every car they made, alas, it is history. If you look it up, as I did 10 years ago, you can see their progression from the Dash 1 clear through the Dash 9 and the first buggy's. I have all 9 of them, and now they are very difficult to find and even worse to pay for. However as mentioned, these cars are later and can still be had NIB, but much less often. If you can afford it and can find a decent one, a Vanning and a LandJump are super restorations. Parts are drop dead expensive however and the stock engine is very difficult to locate. There are a few sites that sell them and parts, I would steer clear of the guy in Texas however. Good luck in your quest!

Luckyracing
Approved Member

Post by Luckyracing »

I'm JD Ackley, I started my RC career with a Tamyia Frog and then the moved on to the RC10 I recently found in my parents attic after a 18 year nap. I had many different RC cars after- raced an RC10T for awhile, a few carpet cars in my youth. Got older (didn't grow up very well) and moved into racing real cars- SCCA IT series, SCCA PROrally, AMEC ice racing and what ever else I could get my hands on. Had a few planes- Ugly stick .46 was my favorite. A few heli's, currently have a trex 450 clone.

Wife and kid changed the racing situation so I now am back at a scale level. Born in '78, profesionally I am a in a sales role /engineering Avaya voice and data solutions.

sludgeguts
Approved Member

Post by sludgeguts »

This seems as good as place as any for my first post here (joined ages ago but have only just plucked up the courage to start posting). Some of you may recognise me from Tamiya Club where I have been actively posting showroom entries for about three years, since getting back into the hobby.

RC wise I'm into anything vintage, mainly offroad but some onroad models have found their way into my collection and I've recently branched out into vintage nitro stuff. I'll post up a load of pics in the relevent sections once I've worked out how to do so.

A bit of personal info. I'm in my early 30s, a motor mechanic by trade and as well as collecting old RC stuff, into music (metal) and video gaming.

k9subsea

Post by k9subsea »

Name is Nate (37), I live in Houston. I got into RC cars about a year ago with my 9 year old son. We are currently bashing with a rustler, pede and 2wd slash, all electric brushed.

I will come back around and post a pic as I have more time.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

k9subsea wrote:Name is Nate (37), I live in Houston. I got into RC cars about a year ago with my 9 year old son. We are currently bashing with a rustler, pede and 2wd slash, all electric brushed.

I will come back around and post a pic as I have more time.
Welcome to the forum! I'm interested to know what made you chose RC10Talk since you got into RC only a year ago and with Traxxas cars? Are you looking into getting some vintage cars? Or relive your youthful dreams? What brought you to RC10Talk?

k9subsea

Post by k9subsea »

Welcome to the forum! I'm interested to know what made you chose RC10Talk since you got into RC only a year ago and with Traxxas cars? Are you looking into getting some vintage cars? Or relive your youthful dreams? What brought you to RC10Talk?[/quote]

Well funny answer really, I had a friend that showed up at my house with a redcat buggy and was playing around and well it reminded me of a friend of mine in grade school that ran an RC10.

The same friend of mine that had the redcat, on my birthday, bought me a traxxas rustler. I ran it off and on for the last year. I then picked up the stampede because that is what my son wanted and I wanted something to race so I got the slash.

Now when I think RC cars the first thing that comes to mind is RC10, a childhood thing I guess, and I love the look of the old school RC10 buggy.

That was a long story just to say I typed RC10 into my search bar and this forum poped up....

Oh and I want an RC10 but I want to research it out first so that I don't make a poor decision with my money.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

k9subsea wrote:Oh and I want an RC10 but I want to research it out first so that I don't make a poor decision with my money.
Welcome aboard, and I imagine it won't be long before you're restoring a vintage buggy just like the rest of us! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3