LOSI "Multiple Builds". Builds finally started Dec 2009!

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

karnivool
Approved Member

Re: LOSI "Multiple Builds". Builds finally started Dec 2009!

Post by karnivool »

this is great darryn, they really are a top looking buggy in all regards.
glad ya went with h-arm man! enjoy!

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Ok, with the hot Pro done except for the body and wheels and tyres, it was apparent that I needed to build the standard "Pro-formance"version of the car.

Things had gotten a bit messy - and beleive it or not - this is the after tidying up the work area!! :lol: :

Here is the progress on the box stock Profromance car. Not alot left to go. Then it will be onto the short wheelbase cars and then my runners......still a ways to go - but loving it so much.

Comments most welcome......just wondering if I should build up a hot SWB original..wont be a new chassis - bit it would still look Killer. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Are you building a box-stock "pro" or looking to make the "proformance" upgrade?
you look good for a pro so far.
a "proformance" was a long wheelbase upgrade kit for the x-2. if you are doing that one the rear shocks should be on the front of the tower. Also I do not think that the upgrade kits came with replacement antenna mount and bellcranks, so those should logically be black as they were carried over from the donating jrx-2.

Whatever you are doing, it sure is fun to watch all those NIP parts get opened.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hi mate,

Yeah - I am skirting on the boundaries of both really. When I was driving for Losi back then - I got the "Pro Formance" kit before the Pro kits arrived. I ended up having a couple of these lwb cars. Guess I am going for what I raced back then. We didnt like the shocks in front on our cars - we always ran them to the rear, another "quirk" I have I guess. Old habbits die hard. I have the parts to but the bellcranks back to black etc - however kinda like the orange. Then again I suppose I need to make my mind up on what the car is going to be - a replica of what I used to race - or a true representation of either the Pro or the Pro-formance upgrade. To be honest I could probably build a pro and a pro formance - but they are so close I am not sure the difference is worth it and would be lost on most people looking at the cars side by side. I will be fitting a Juniors choice motor no matter what. I probably should go with the black bellcranks and antenna holder actually, as the pro formance kits had the chassis with no holes cut out for the steering servo, so perhaps I am better off do the "pro formance" route.

It has been really interesting to open some of the parts bags, noting the small changes made to mouldings and some parts. Material changes are most evident in the plastics.

Thanks for your comments - they have made me think about it more - guess I was getting so absorbed by the builds that I just ploughed on. :lol: So many memories are coming flooding back when I work on these cars.

Please excuse my late night ramblings - its 3 am here!! LOL

Cheers

Darryn

P.s - heres a pic of my Pro Formance box:

VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

Very nice projects, on another note, I like your work space. I am a also a huge Senna fan, and I noticed what's up on your walls. Very nice.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

DHC6 wrote:Very nice projects, on another note, I like your work space. I am a also a huge Senna fan, and I noticed what's up on your walls. Very nice.

Thanks very much mate, I love my work area too. We had a four car garage when we bought this place - but I converted the back third of it into a workshop and "holding" bay for my projects. It is a real "man pit" with no girly stuff, and now that I finally have a son (after three three girls - love em to pieces), I can enjoy all things manly with him!! :mrgreen:

DAMN YOU ANSCOLA!! :wink: I have now gone through the car completely and used all the original JRX2 parts - even the front knuckles, battery cup, rear uprights - you name it - it is all now original JRX2 parts - with the exception of course of the "proformance" upgrades! You woke up the OCD in me again - arggghhhhhhh :mrgreen: :lol:

I had the great honour of meeting Ayrton back when he was driving for Lotus in 1986 (I think), Ayrton had recently started his love affair with R/C Aircraft and my sponsor at the time (Model Flight), had invited him out to fly and try some of thier aircraft. Knowing that I was crazy for F1 I was invited along by my sponsors with some of their other team drivers to meet him. He was so intense - really nice guy - but as soon as he had to concentrate you saw the change in him. To watch him flying inverted over the flying field and pulling stunts that someone with limited time on the sticks was really quite surreal now that I look back at it. I think he was very misunderstood in terms of his temprament. It is all too easy to mistake arrogance for concentration and focus. He was indeed rutheless behind the wheel - however he was a true racer. Man I started crying before the car even came to halt that day at Imola 1994. I dont think I have ever been so deeply affected by the loss of a sportperson or star. I truly did have him as one of my true idols, someone I really looked to to become a better driver and also a person with high moral values. It was a very sad day for motorsport.

Sorry for the long unrelated post - I feel better now though!

Cheers

Darryn

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

nothin' wrong with a little ocd now and again. :lol:

need some pics of the "rebuild"

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Wow this is so exciting - just reminds me of the days when I'd got a new kit as a young teenager, all those packet-fresh shiney parts - I bet theres even that Losi 'new' smell??

These builds have become even more interesting since the arrival of a JRX2 & JRxPro (along with a load of spares) In fact I have a quick question... My Pro is fitted with the same A&L slipper as on your first build (which is nice :P ) - but also has the RPM rear wishbones..... which have moulded into them a really big stand-off for the shock mounting, currently the shocks are mounted (at the top) to the rear of the shock mount & are really angled back, do you know if it was intended that with these wishbones the top mounting should be on the front of the mount?

P.S; Arton Senna was also a hero of mine - even more so when I found out he was a keen model flyer (I used to fly model planes too) Was so sad when he died :(

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Jeez...now we know what happen to all the Losi parts in Australia :lol:
Looking good Darryn....sure brings back memories for me as well I had one of the first JRX-2 in the West and later the Proformance kit.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

YOU ARE AN EVIL MAN ANSCOLA!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really happy with the result though - with the exception of the front bumper and antenna holder - this car is pretty much done. This car is exactly as would have been done BITD if you converted your standard JRX2 to the "Proformance" kit. Trimmed front bulkhead, original style front axles without grub screw retainer, black steering bellcranks, original battery cup, no rear tower spacer allowing the shocks to be mounted forward of the tower, original rear 5 link hubs adapted to fit the "H" arm upgrade.

I went to alot of pains to make it just so - that inner OCD freak has well and truly escaped now!! I have decided to also build a JRX Pro as well........gotta have the whole set. In fact - I am going to build a short wheelbase next - as I need something a little different!! Might even build a "hot" SWB as well, I have a few funky parts for them.

In fact - I would really like to do an "ëvolution" photo at the end to showcase all the graphite plate cars Losi did...now that could be cool.....hmmmmm

Really looking forward to making a 5 link runner and rebuilding my runner Pro - that car has been so reliable and fast on the track.

Anyways - heres the pics of the "Proformance" Losi JRX2:

Original style battery cup and bellcranks:

Orignial JRX2 Bulkhead trimmed and ready to accept the profromance bumper(when it arrives!!) and the original style front uprights:

Rear shock tower without spacer - allowing the shocks to be mounted in front of the tower:

Overall chassis view:

"Stacked up" and ready to recieve wheels and finishing touches, when all the others are done that is!:

Uzzi - LOL - mate I did get a complete car packed to the roof full of parts and cars when I cleaned out the distributor a few years back. I was very lucky, as I had always stayed in contact with the owners, when the business changed hands and the new guys wanted to get rid of it all - I "pounced" on the chance to get some of this gear. Still, even with hundreds and hundreds of parts bags - I am still missing little bits and peices here and there. eBay has been my friend over the last couple of weeks. You dont ever really know what you are missing until you build a car....part of the fun I guess.

Derby Dan - My memory of the RPM arms is pretty vague - however I do beleive that the top of the shocks were meant to be mounted in front . A picture on your thread would make it alot easier to determine. Even though the angle of the shocks on the Proformance kit is not to extreme - I still dont like it!!

Thanks for the comments one and all - knowing others are enoying watching the builds is making it even more fun :mrgreen:. I am always happy to try and answer any questions you may have as well.

Cheers

Darryn

clinehobbies
Approved Member

Post by clinehobbies »

Looks good Darryn I am also a F1 and Senna Fan and have some nice F1 phots in my work space also. Good to see you building. Nice work.
Have a nice day! :)

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

Nice buid...can's wait to see the final product. I also bought the proformance kit prior to the release of the pro. Based on the instructions, I beleive it used the #1 pivot block and the purple springs at the rear. I still have my jr's choice motor, but I took the label off when I first got it.

Let me know if you need a scanned copy of the manual.

Regards,
highwayracer

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments,

I actually have the manual - and the pink springs and Jnr's choice - they are on my "finaishing touches" list. I am waiting on a couple of sets of the pivot blocks, they are some of the parts I did not have enough of.. I got caught up in it all last night and finished at 5:30 in the morning!! It is so easy to loose track of time when building.

When all of the cars are done - I will have a small list of parts that I need to finish them. I will post them up on the forum, I will have plenty to trade! ;)

Thanks again for the kind comments.

Cheers

Darryn

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Sorry to derail your initial direction on the second one, but it turned out superb so far.
I'd be happy to help with parts if I have them, The last losi NIP build I have left actually has a lot of your parts from a prior trade/purchase.
-Anthony

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

aconsola wrote:Sorry to derail your initial direction on the second one, but it turned out superb so far.
I'd be happy to help with parts if I have them, The last losi NIP build I have left actually has a lot of your parts from a prior trade/purchase.
-Anthony

Mate - seriously glad you pointed it out to be honest - now I can do a "time line" of the flat plate chassis cars like I mentioned before - without your comment - I probably never would have thought of it. Thanks very much for your offer of parts - I am sure we can "reciprocate" :)

When I get all the builds done - I will post up a list of what I have to sell - and what I still need. Starting the JRX2 tonight - should be pretty straighrt forward, as I have an excellent donor car.

Then the fun will begin on a modded SWB chassis....thats one thing I do need though - a new swb original chassis for the modded one - have a couple of nice used ones....but it has to be new !

Will post some pics up later of the swb new built.

Cheers

Darryn