Custom RC 10 mid engine.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Re: Custom RC 10 mid engine.

Post by Rustbucket »

doing good so far
Attachments
IMG_6371.JPG

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

NOT sure on that last one
Attachments
IMG_6375.JPG
IMG_6375.JPG

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

you also need to flip your rear arm mounts back around. they need to stay left on the left, right on the right.

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

HEY thankyou I did not notice that one . I was trying to get the engine set to work. I do see what your talking about . SO I have a new project . Well with this one I am still learning. That is one thing I have learn about this board your all good in helping. I try to do the same with some of the other boards I am on myself.

OK I have one more problem I need to try to work out.
Dose any one know of a gear cover of those that have done this swap?. NOW since I have swap things around I have now found out my gear cover will no longer work.

MYSelf and I know of someone elest that has the same problem. So do any of you have any answers on this one . DON

peetbee
Approved Member

Post by peetbee »

Too late for you now, but have you seen the mod that people have done with another idler gear on the Atomic Carbon CR2?
Instead of putting a 4th gear in the transmission you mount another idler gear using the top motor screw (you need 48dp spur & pinion)
It limits your gearing as you can only change the spur you are using, but it saves you swapping the layshaft/spur over to the other side and then your motor can run the 'right' way.

Here's a picture of what I mean from oople.com

pattywagon34
Approved Member

Post by pattywagon34 »

hey when you built yours, did you use buggy rear arm mounts or the truck ones? im building a gas version of what yours is (rc10Gt with gold pan parts!)
left side: right buggy a arm, left side gt arm mount
right side: left buggy a arm,right side gt arm mount

can you share some pics of the rear end of your car? i think i spent too much thinking time on mine and built it backwards :lol:

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

hello Thank you for the idea.yes a little to late. it looks like I will be fine with
what I have set up all ready. I am just looking for information on a gear cover for now . Do you have any ideas I can use or do? DON

pattywagon34
Approved Member

Post by pattywagon34 »

pattywagon34 wrote:hey when you built yours, did you use buggy rear arm mounts or the truck ones? im building a gas version of what yours is (rc10Gt with gold pan parts!)
left side: right buggy a arm, left side gt arm mount
right side: left buggy a arm,right side gt arm mount

can you share some pics of the rear end of your car? i think i spent too much thinking time on mine and built it backwards :lol:
never mind, i know why i had to build mine the way i did, the suspension is all reversed but the trans stays in the forward position..

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

I was wondering who are you asking on how and who did what. If it is me Rustbucket I will try to share pictures if I can make it work. For me it has been a hit and mis on trying to post pictures . ON MY set up I use all buggie arms. with Andys up front. uesing a gas chassic and had to build my own mounth for a back motor brase. TOOK Joes advise and turn my motor plate around and it all seems to work good . I have plans of later adding in a stelth tranny and lunford tie rods. May be come a full size truck later down the line. I am not done yet. I am useing one of my old buddys for now. DON

pattywagon34
Approved Member

Post by pattywagon34 »

yeah i was asking you. i figured it out though. i saw that you had basically a whole rear buggy suspension facing back wards on your gas frame, i was wonding why mine couldnt be that way too.. its because my spur/clutch is on the pass side , yours is flipped around.

its confusing w/out pics :lol: i figured it out though.
how does yours handle with truck tires on it w/ buggy suspension?

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

Hello buddy I cant tell you anything on that one. I just got it together last night . Only played with it on the street. Fun for sure. Still have to work some some bugs.
Show us some pictures of your rig I know it will bring back memorys to me . I do remember back in about the early 90s guys were doing the change over from Electric to gas.
At first they sounded strange for none us were use of hearing them. ONE Problem with the early gas alot of them would not run and and keap having porblems runing time. THEY would die out and then you would have keep pulling the rope and so on and priming untill they got started .
Reason I know this a buddy of mind took his and coveted it over to gas. He was Electric
. To this day if I know him he may still have laying around but now he lives up in olimipia . Have not heard much or seen him in a few years.

FOR ME this is my first mid engine so I am still learning as I go. In the early days there was a lot of different convertions going on with the rigs.

Mind was built out a lot of spare parts and chassic that was given to and A idea I got from another buddy of mind that started one a month a go not sure if he got it done or not. If so we may be the only 2 that has the RC 10 electric mid engine still around. ?? RUNING ????

I hope this helps. Right is all RC 10 stock buggie. with street tires. WHen I take down to PRCR Dunlaps track later I will let you know. Right like I say IT is fun even with some of the bugs I am going to working on.
DON

pattywagon34
Approved Member

Post by pattywagon34 »

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=18246

^^ theres the link to my build page.
doesnt look pretty, but that is what i call my "prototype" :lol:
when its done i plan for it to look like a rc10 goldpan with a muffler on the driver side of the body, engine head sticking out.i plan to use an original cadillac body, itll fit , i just have to think of something different for the rear shock tower..

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

I left a note on your build of the Gas RC ten. Buggie. LOOKS good. YUP I do rumember the real ones from a long time ago.

pattywagon34
Approved Member

Post by pattywagon34 »

Rustbucket wrote:I left a note on your build of the Gas RC ten. Buggie. LOOKS good. YUP I do rumember the real ones from a long time ago.
was there ever actually rc10 gold pans with a nitro conversion?

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Re up date Custom RC 10 mid engine.

Post by Rustbucket »

HELLO well I now have a gear cover for the mid. I took an old RC light weight gear cover and cut it to fit. WOrks GOOOD.. Also ended up adding my stelcth as well. Was going for the arms as well but now I have to fine a set of rc 10 Truck dog bones then I will be set. All read have the Rpm ready to go on ft and rear. . BUT FOR Now leaving it stock .
Attachments
IMG_6376.JPG