RC12E clone runner project. ***Finished***

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Taylorm
Approved Member

Re: RC12E clone runner project.

Post by Taylorm »

.Love the car.........very nice....never owned any Associated 1 12 older than a 12LW......but now i want an E.. :D

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Taylorm wrote:.Love the car.........very nice....never owned any Associated 1 12 older than a 12LW......but now i want an E.. :D

Thanks Taylorm! I just love the E's. These are really easy to fix up they are excellent candidates for old/new runners. I see one almost every week on e-Bay so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one. I've already got another old/new build planned after this one plus two more to finish up.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Time for an update on this thing. It's a runner! Well, it will be after I work out the bugs anyway. :mrgreen: After the bugs are sorted out I'll just need polish her up and finish trimming the body and get it painted. Then it will be time for a trip to the track to see how she does. Can't wait!

Short bug list:

1. Wired the resistor in backwards....again! :wink:

2. I'll have to make a new resistor mount that sits lower as the wiper doesn't have enough clearance under the body.

3. Will have to true all tire sidewalls again. I didn't re-true after mounting them because I was afraid of scratching off the chrome paint on the edges of the rims. It will be necessary though as I've noted a wobble on one rear and the inside of both fronts. I'll just have to put a thick tape mask over the rim edges when I do it.

4. Find out where the heck I put the steering linkage. (Or just make a new one. Might be easier. :oops: )

5. Front spring suspension is sticky. Probably just run a small drill bit through the holes to carefully clean them out.

I shrunk the wire harness down so that it occupies a small space in front of the battery. Much more tidy than the stock Associated setup.

My custom sticker deal seems to have fallen through so I had to settle for another maker. I've put one on just for a test. Quality seems to be good so I think these will do.

I decided to go wingless so I used Associated wing buttons to hold down the rear of the body. These slip into hollow thin wall aluminum tubing.

I ended up stealing the lightweight aluminum diff and axle from another E I had. Just couldn't resist! I'll save the RJ Speed axle for another project.

Once I get the body painted I'll install my antenna mount so the antenna will be held straight and secure.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

This car is close to finished now. Just need to make a new resistor mount and servo steering rod set.

First coat of paint on. This car will pay homage to the Can Am era Ferraris. The bottom half will be white and there will be white pinstripes around the top edge of the body and around the cockpit. The car is a darker red than the picture shows. Fasred is near perfect for a Ferrari.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

I don't like it!

I LOVE it! :lol:

Thank you for doing all these excellent builds with such nice pictures! It gives us something to aspire to!

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Thanks again Rod! I had hoped to finish it off today but work got in the way again.

Going to try this for making my own stickers.
http://www.cricut.com/Shopping/detail--Reconditioned-Cricut-Expression-Machine-363-1337.aspx

minreg
Approved Member

Post by minreg »

Great looking manual speed control setup. Would be a shame to give that up for lipo.
I'm not a purist but I do prefer brushed stuff for vintage rides.
Nice work on your cars.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

minreg wrote:Great looking manual speed control setup. Would be a shame to give that up for lipo.
I'm not a purist but I do prefer brushed stuff for vintage rides.
Nice work on your cars.

Thanks minreg! I've always thought the mechanical speed contols looked cool. Almost like the butterflys on a carburetor. Waiting on supplies to finish up this machine and a few other projects and then I'll get to test it out on the track.

Mike DeLaney
Approved Member

Post by Mike DeLaney »

Great looking car!! Probably a good thing the track won't let you race the car. I would hate for something to happen to it after all the work you have put into it.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Mike DeLaney wrote:Great looking car!! Probably a good thing the track won't let you race the car. I would hate for something to happen to it after all the work you have put into it.

Thanks Mike! I can't race it in the main events due to class restrictions but I will do some running with it during open track sessions. Believe me I plan on being very careful! No bashing or crashing with this baby. This will be just for fun running. I've got two bodies for it and will have one as a runner and one for display. I'm going to see if I can get some other guys to bring their vintage cars to the track so we can have the occasional old school race for fun.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Re: RC12E clone runner project. ****Finished****

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Been really pressed for time lately so I decided to finish off this project since it was nearly complete. I worked out all the bugs I previously found and also switched out the large Deans plugs to the smaller three pin connectors. This car should be really quick for an old school car due to the light weight. Hopefully I'll find some time to test it out at my local carpet track soon.

Specs:

Chassis by Gomachv Racing LTD. :mrgreen: Thanks man!
Corally Silver Star Tires
Robinson Racing pinion and spur
HiTec 2.4ghz receiver and micro power switch. For radio I'm using the HiTec Aggressor
HiTec HS-2225MG for steering and HS-225BB for throttle. (Don't use the 225MG for resistor as the spline is metal too and will conduct.)
Losi Resistor
Novak super flex 16 gauge wiring harness
Paragon Eclipse 15T mod motor
Lunsford titanium front axles and assorted screws
Polished aluminum chassis hex and button screws
Remainder of the parts from Associated plus assorted scratch made bits

Niki
Approved Member

Re: RC12E clone runner project. ***Finished***

Post by Niki »

Your car looks fantastic. Nice to see it's a runner.
Personally I also like to test drive old designs. Have fun and enjoy your track time.

-Niki-

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Thanks Niki! Some may find the old design boring but I've always liked the idea of a simple and affordable car that anyone can go out and race. Too bad that idea has been lost these days. It would be a blast to race in a group of these cars with the old Can Am style bodies. Can't wait to see how it does out on the carpet.

vsefiream
Approved Member

Re: RC12E clone runner project. ****Finished****

Post by vsefiream »

PlastiZapCA+ wrote: This car should be really quick for an old school car due to the light weight.
Seriously?? Quick would be an understatement!! :shock: When I ran 12th we ran stock motors with 4 cells and the cars were pretty quick because they were light. Now your car, it's a shame it will be so retna burning fast because it is drop dead sexy looking!!! The body is perfect, the electronics are set on obliterate, and the chassis looks like it's on a mission from, well you know where.

Awesome build!!!! Your other builds look so simple with one color and very clean lines, yet they are so perfect!

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Thanks man! I'm sure I've overdone it on the motor for this car. Not going to have much handling without a suspension but I can go quick in the straights. :mrgreen: