RC10L Runner ****FINISHED****

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

RC10L Runner ****FINISHED****

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

I picked up this rough 10L at about the same time I picked up the Rusty RC12E project car. This is another one of my buy it now fiascos. :lol: In addition to being very rough the previous owner had poured CA all over the front half of the car to glue the servo in place. I had to scrape off tons of the stuff and to top it off it leaked all down into the battery holder slots. A fun job for sure. I was actually going to rid myself of this car but now I've decided to build it. I'm going to use parts I've mostly picked up from other projects. About the only thing extra I will need is a 2.4ghz receiver and some NIMH cells. I plan on building my own saddle pack so I won't be stuck with an LTO car. I'm hoping I can finish off all of my on road projects soon so I can move on to the buggy projects I have.

I wish I had taken photos before I cleaned off all the glue. :mrgreen:

Here she is on TRC asphalt caps. I plan on painting the chassis flat black and clear coating it.

To get the wheel base I've flipped the arms around L-R and moved them back one screw hole. I plan on drilling another set of holes for the new location and making a white RC12 style bumper.

I went with an HPI 68 Camaro body. It also has a spoiler that screws on.

The caps stick out a little but it doesn't look too bad to me. I like a little tire sticking out anyway.

I've got quite a few goodies to pick through. Both of the motors are new stockers and the Novak T-4 is super clean. I've also got some Lunsford motor screws and front axles for it. Picked up a Litesink for cheap too.

Going for this.

GoMachV

Re: Junkyard Doggy 10L

Post by GoMachV »

I can't wait to see what you come up with, That body looks great on there with the tires hanging out just a scoche!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

I'm drooling already!

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

That looks great on there! I would have thought the wide chassis would be way too wide for that body, but it looks about right. Where'd you find the tires? Are they still being made, or are those an old set?

Funny, old-school running gear was kind of what i was thinking of for my 10L Mustang as well. Trinity Midnight stock motor, Duratrax DTX-4 ESC, 1700s.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

There were a set of front and rear bbs like his nip but in white on eBay earlier, I wanna say around $25-30 shipped. Can't find em now of course. I think they were listed as AJ's
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

markbt73 wrote:That looks great on there! I would have thought the wide chassis would be way too wide for that body, but it looks about right. Where'd you find the tires? Are they still being made, or are those an old set?

Funny, old-school running gear was kind of what i was thinking of for my 10L Mustang as well. Trinity Midnight stock motor, Duratrax DTX-4 ESC, 1700s.

I was afraid that body wouldn't fit at all but I'm glad I took the chance now. I might be able to get a little better fit over the wheels by installing some body stiffners. I'm looking into it now. I scored the wheels a while back still new in the package on the bay. As far as I know they aren't made anymore. I remember those from way back in 90's when I had my Bolink Eliminator 10. They are TRC asphalt cap radials. There was a set out there on foams last week for $40.00. I should of jumped on them as I really don't want these getting worn out on the street. Probably find some cheap foams for running and save the caps for display only. These wheels were also white but I airbrushed them black and then gloss coated them. I think going old school with the electronics looks cool on these old pan cars.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Girlfriend had me doing honey do's all day but I'm off for the next two days so I'm going to tear into this thing. Or at least until I get bored and switch to one of the other projects. I figure if I do a little work on all of them eventually one will get finished up. :mrgreen:

Here is the new bumper rough cut.

Almost done just needs a little more refinement. That's about as much as I could get to fit under the body so it's mostly a cosmetic piece. I'll be making spacers for the arms out of the same stuff. I want this bad boy slammed! :twisted:

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

You have more patience than I could ever dream of. That bumper turned out awesome.
Factory Works website

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

gomachv wrote:You have more patience than I could ever dream of. That bumper turned out awesome.
Thanks man! It's easier than you may think. I just traced an RC12E bumper onto the styrene sheet and then drill out the outline using my drill press. (Note to self,get scroll saw.) Once the holes are done I just snap it out. Then I take a Dremel and grind it down to the shape I want and then follow up with some block sanding. Once I have the way I want it will be wet sanded with 1000 and then polished with compund on the drill press again using a a buffing cone. Easy! I've found the thick styrene sheet to be as tough as the original Associated stuff and it's repairable with CA too.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Well when you put it that way it sounds easy :shock: lol!
Factory Works website

durb69
Approved Member

Post by durb69 »

you guys are really making me want to build a muscle rc10L car! I see a new project in my future. So where did you find those killer tires?

durb69
Approved Member

Post by durb69 »

sorry i should have read all your post a little better. I skimmed over them to fast at first. I see where you got the tires. I cant wait to see this project finished! You inspire me sir. :D

Did you say slammed? ha ha. How low can you go? this is as low as i could go without scrape issues.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

durb69 wrote:sorry i should have read all your post a little better. I skimmed over them to fast at first. I see where you got the tires. I cant wait to see this project finished! You inspire me sir. :D

Did you say slammed? ha ha. How low can you go? this is as low as i could go without scrape issues.

I love your cars! I did'nt get mine quite that low ,but it's much better now. That car would would look great with a muscle car body on it especially with those nice wheels. 8)

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Here's an update on the old dog. I've got the hard part over with and I'm now going over the goods I'll need to order. Looking at several batteries and I'm also going to try printing my own stickers using the infromation that durb posted in my other thread. Should be interesting.

Waiting on Lunsford titanium front axles axles to be delivered so I've shown it without the beat up stock axles.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

:shock: another awesome job!
Factory Works website