RC10 Restorations.....lets see what ya got.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

fiberglass battery hold dows can easily be hand-made, as for the diamond shape wing buttons, I do not know them, I only know the water-droplet shaped wing buttons...these were on the original kit in white, you can still get them in black at Tower Hobbies for a few bucks...

qctires
Approved Member

Hold downs

Post by qctires »

Asso_man! wrote:fiberglass battery hold dows can easily be hand-made, as for the diamond shape wing buttons, I do not know them, I only know the water-droplet shaped wing buttons...these were on the original kit in white, you can still get them in black at Tower Hobbies for a few bucks...
Actually, I do have those buttons. I think they were made by Trinity then. As for the hold downs, I would really want to get the OEM part for resto. Thanks Asso-man!

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

JG and Parma sold the diamond-shaped wing buttons. More than a few companies sold aluminum round ones, like Wolf, Trinity, RCPS and a few others. :)

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

qctires wrote:Any of you guys remember when the first year the RC10 came out? It came out with fiberglass battery hold down bars. I am looking for a pair. Used or new will.
I had one of the first ones in '83/'84, and I believe the car was released in '82 or '83 sometime (I'll have to check on that one).

I don't recall ever seeing an original RC10 with fiberglass battery hold downs, other than the Worlds car that had the tringular strap after the world went to 6-cells for off road racing. Every car I ever had or raced with had the nylon cups and straps, and they were always sold in the same package.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

indeed, the fiberglass battery hold down were only displayed on the box of the first RC10 kits (1984, I am pretty shure of the date), they were never included, like the silver shocks, the four head lights (only two in the original kit), and of course the aluminium spring retainers shown on the box have never been made by Associated... the blue diamond wing buttons made by Associated are still available on Tower Hobbies (at least last time I visited their website), the rear sway bar was also an option then...

qctires
Approved Member

Post by qctires »

apexspeed wrote:
qctires wrote:Any of you guys remember when the first year the RC10 came out? It came out with fiberglass battery hold down bars. I am looking for a pair. Used or new will.
I had one of the first ones in '83/'84, and I believe the car was released in '82 or '83 sometime (I'll have to check on that one).

I don't recall ever seeing an original RC10 with fiberglass battery hold downs, other than the Worlds car that had the tringular strap after the world went to 6-cells for off road racing. Every car I ever had or raced with had the nylon cups and straps, and they were always sold in the same package.
Got mine 1984. Actually, my mom bought two complete kits and boyh had them (fiberglass) . It was the same shape as the nylons. Yes, the early ones came with it. Wall, I guess that's going to be a very hard find. :?

liquorboxracing
Approved Member

Post by liquorboxracing »

qctires wrote:
apexspeed wrote:

Got mine 1984. Actually, my mom bought two complete kits and boyh had them (fiberglass) . It was the same shape as the nylons. Yes, the early ones came with it. Wall, I guess that's going to be a very hard find. :?
Didn't CRP or someone make the fiberglass battery straps as well???

qctires
Approved Member

Post by qctires »

Asso_man! wrote:indeed, the fiberglass battery hold down were only displayed on the box of the first RC10 kits (1984, I am pretty shure of the date), they were never included, like the silver shocks, the four head lights (only two in the original kit), and of course the aluminium spring retainers shown on the box have never been made by Associated... the blue diamond wing buttons made by Associated are still available on Tower Hobbies (at least last time I visited their website), the rear sway bar was also an option then...
Well, I am 100% sure we caught probably the first batch of RC10si then. The guy who owned the RC sore gets all his stuff from Hong Kong and brought it in to the Philippines early part of '84. I should consider my self lucky to be one of not too many to have had the first batches. :lol: And I did email AE just to bakup my claim :wink: And there is one more info for you guys. The first batch (1st Gen) came with TWO servo savers. Not one like most have. 100% sure :D :wink:

qctires
Approved Member

S132H

Post by qctires »

Update on my RC10...just installed the 132 servos in place of the big Aristocrafts. I have replaced the tyres as well but not new ones...
...ok , I'll change the rims too...soon. 8)

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Nice work! Great info, too. Good to know these little details about the history of the car.

qctires
Approved Member

Jay halsey fornt rims 85 IFMAR

Post by qctires »

apexspeed wrote:Nice work! Great info, too. Good to know these little details about the history of the car.
Maybe you can help me . Looking for those front wheels Jay Halsey used during the 85 Worlds. The one in your avatar. I think they are CRPs, am I right? And the JG front bumper as well. I am building another one but i=I want to replicate Jay's car. :wink:

bensb4
Approved Member

Post by bensb4 »

nice restores guys.i almost did the full kit restore but thought id get alot more ooooooooooooo's actually racing it on the track...i was right.im kicking azzzzzz on the dirt oval track with it.

before

after

heres some more shots
stealth tranny on left,rpm stealth 2.65 tranny on right
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/benlosi/team%20associated/116_1651.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/benlosi/team%20associated/118_1820.jpg

i basically built it from scratch.the only thing i kept from when it was originaly given to me were the rpm front hubs and rpm front bulkhead,rear gold motor plate,A&l steering,and the custom front shock towwer.other than that i bought:
rpm front and rear arms,rpm 2.65 tranny conversion,viper body,black aluminum chassis,front nose plate which was a lucky lhs find,rpm rear hubs for 3/16 axle conversion.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Nice work!

I'll take those tired old rear tires off your hands if you need to make space ;)

knucklebuster
Approved Member

my first rc10, ready for restoration.

Post by knucklebuster »

This car brings back memories... race proven, curb beatin', dirt eatin' devil. I ran circles around a childhood friend with a Frog. He worked hard to hold back the tears.

I considered polishing the tub due to excessive scratches but can't bring myself to do it. I also have the CRP front bumper and side nerfs. They have all taken a beating but are still in one piece.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

knucklebuster wrote:Nice work!

I'll take those tired old rear tires off your hands if you need to make space ;)
if I'm not wrong, the rear tires are Dirt Hawgs, recently made by Proline...